NBC Sports Edge Forums

San Diego Padres 2021 Outlook

Commented this in another thread, Preller and Padres are at least having the courage to try and win while other cubs worry about paying their star players. Bunch of billionaire cheapasses. I won't cry a single tear over the hardships mlb teams have endured because of covid. [...]

I can NEVER understand fans justifying their owners being cheap. So congratulations Padres, your team actually really badly wants to win the world series.

That's the point of this all, after all. Even if they don't win it this year, hats off to the Padres for making good moves to increase their odds.

Edited by tonycpsu
No politics here.
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Commented this in another thread, Preller and Padres are at least having the courage to try and win while other cubs worry about paying their star players. Bunch of billionaire cheapasses. I won't cry a single tear over the hardships mlb teams have endured because of covid.  [...]

I can NEVER understand fans justifying their owners being cheap. So congratulations Padres, your team actually really badly wants to win the world series.

That's the point of this all, after all. Even if they don't win it this year, hats off to the Padres for making good moves to increase their odds.

would you rather be great this year and next or potentially sustainable years from now

• Thanks 1
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

would you rather be great this year and next or potentially sustainable years from now

My answer to this question is the same way I play fantasy baseball dynasty leagues. I try to win every single year.

• Like 2

If you are a Padres fan you have to like these moves. While they are giving away prospects, they have still have juice in the farm system. Snell has 3 years of control, Darvish has two, they will have Clevinger next year, Gore is still with the team, and many of their best players last year will still be under control for several years. They had a surplus of prospects, and they took advantage of it. But this isn't mortgaging the future for one or two years, they will have their best players for several years still after these moves.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Long suffering Pirates fan who won't spend a dime on that team due to the cheap a** management turning them into the laughing stock of the MLB. 

I may become a Padres fan now as at least the team name starts with a "P" (and no I can not root for the Phillies).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, jb_power said:

Long suffering Pirates fan who won't spend a dime on that team due to the cheap a** management turning them into the laughing stock of the MLB. 

I may become a Padres fan now as at least the team name starts with a "P" (and no I can not root for the Phillies).

Unless you live in Pittsburgh i would definitely drop your pirates fandom

pick a new team

• 4 weeks later...

Eric Hosmer is a candidate to be platooned.

Hosmer compiled a .563 OPS against left-handers over the last three seasons, and the Padres have more offensive talent than ever, so there certainly is a case for this happening. Nola, Victor Caratini and Jurickson Profar are potential substitutions versus lefties.

• 2 weeks later...