NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Hall of Fame Thread

15 hours ago, dan said:

If you're so sure of that why not let them decide.

I don't know what this means. I have no control over the process and neither do the players.  Player's go to the veterans committee when they're eligible.

Personally I think he has no chance this year coming off an election. Maybe next year since it's his last. If not, looks like he'll be era eligible for the veterans committee in 2024.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More than you would think unfortunately: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jay-jaffes-2021-hall-of-fame-ballot/ It's a shame we let some butt-hurt newspaper nerds decide the fate of HOF-caliber pr

It’s crazy to me that people still float the argument that if people made a mistake once, that automatically means we should make the mistake in the future.  So what if the character clause failed in

Do you take all memes literally or just Curt Schilling's ? I can't believe I have to ask this.  90% of the social media population would fail the character clause if posting/sending something inapprop

39 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I don't know what this means. I have no control over the process and neither do the players.  Player's go to the veterans committee when they're eligible.

Personally I think he has no chance this year coming off an election. Maybe next year since it's his last. If not, looks like he'll be era eligible for the veterans committee in 2024.

Yeah, right now, players don't have a vote to decide if another player should be in the HOF. But, roughly half of the members on the Veterans Committee are other players that are already in the HOF. 

Edited by dan
11 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Why?

There's more then 10 guys who should be in easy.

Are you counting steroid guys ? I assume so.

I will say, it gets tough when you play the "if this guy got in, then this guy should get in too" game. Harold Baines is the latest example. I don't think Todd Helton should get in but if Harold Baines is in then Helton should get in too. Why should Brooks Robinson and Ron Santo be in and not Scott Rolen ? Hoffman is in, so why not Billy Wagner ? Wagner was probably a slightly better pitcher than Hoffman. He didn't do it for quite as long as Hoffman, but you can at least make a case. 

5 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I'm pretty sure teammates and coaches would be speaking out about "the worst person in the world".  If you think so lowly of baseball players that they'd give someone so heinous a pass, why do you even watch ?

Players typically keep quiet about that kind of stuff. Maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall many Patriots players speaking out about Aaron Hernandez.

That said, if a player did something that heinous, they'd probably be banned by the MLB and not even appear on the ballot.

59 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Players typically keep quiet about that kind of stuff. Maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall many Patriots players speaking out about Aaron Hernandez.

That said, if a player did something that heinous, they'd probably be banned by the MLB and not even appear on the ballot.

During his career, Schilling won both the Roberto Clemente award:

“The Roberto Clemente Award is bestowed annually to the player who best represents the game of Baseball through extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field.”

As well as the Lou Gehrig Memorial award:

“The Lou Gehrig Memorial Award is given annually to a Major League Baseball player who best exhibits the character and integrity of Lou Gehrig, both on the field and off it.”

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

During his career, Schilling won both the Roberto Clemente award:

“The Roberto Clemente Award is bestowed annually to the player who best represents the game of Baseball through extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field.”

As well as the Lou Gehrig Memorial award:

“The Lou Gehrig Memorial Award is given annually to a Major League Baseball player who best exhibits the character and integrity of Lou Gehrig, both on the field and off it.”

Neither of those are voted on by players though.

Interestingly, the Roberto Clemente Award is voted on by the media. 😄

• Like 2
6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

More than 10 easy? 

So your thinking let everyone in. OK 

Not at all

Get the greats in though

Not guys who shouldn't be there like

Rice, perez, maz, baines

Clemens, bonds, Schilling, mcgwire, sosa, dick Allen, kent, manny, arod, 

I could keep going

The HOF is a joke without them

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dan said:

Thoughts?

Those voters are ridiculous... so they were willing to ignore all of Schilling's other public, brazen scumbaggery the last few years?  They didn't already know who he was?  I say out any voter who tries to rescind their vote, expose them for the clowns that they are.  

• Like 1

Revealed tonight at 6pm ET...

Hopefully Bonds and Clemens get the required 75%...  They are very close at the moment according to the Hall of Fame tracker...

• Like 1

While I think the player deserves to be elected, I hope Schilling does not make it in. 

For me, I'd vote Andrew Jones, Scott Rolen, Todd Helton.

I am not against the idea of voting in the 'roiders, but not until the Hall Fame does something to acknowledge the role 'roids played in their career. And I get that is tricky since some of the big ones, like Bonds, never actually failed a drug test.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:48 AM, OaksterDan said:

Those voters are ridiculous... so they were willing to ignore all of Schilling's other public, brazen scumbaggery the last few years?  They didn't already know who he was?  I say out any voter who tries to rescind their vote, expose them for the clowns that they are.  

What you said.

Those types of comments are to be expected from him. He is a proven scumbag, those comments should  not be the tipping point for him...we are well past that.

1 hour ago, posty said:

Revealed tonight at 6pm ET...

Hopefully Bonds and Clemens get the required 75%...  They are very close at the moment according to the Hall of Fame tracker...

They won't. They always get less of the private ballots. No one is going in this year. Bonds, Clemens & Schilling will end up mid to high 60s.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

They won't. They always get less of the private ballots. No one is going in this year. Bonds, Clemens & Schilling will end up mid to high 60s.

I know...  Damn shame too...  They should have already been in...

Edited by posty

Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
4m
Curt Schilling in letter to the Hall of Fame: "I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot. I’ll defer to the veterans committee and men whose opinions actually matter and who are in a position to actually judge a player.''

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dan said:

Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
4m
Curt Schilling in letter to the Hall of Fame: "I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot. I’ll defer to the veterans committee and men whose opinions actually matter and who are in a position to actually judge a player.''

As happy as I am that he didn't get in, I am even happier that he is bitter about.

• Like 2