NBC Sports Edge Forums

Isaiah Roby 2020-2021 Outlook

No mention of this cat? Was the highest paid 2nd round player ever after he was drafted. Injury and banished to the G-league held him up. Did well tonight in a spot start and there was talk of him eventually cutting into Muscalas minutes before season. Yes Horford was out but certainly worth keeping an eye on after that performance. Probably grab ask questions later in deep leagues. 

Definitely worth an add in deeper leagues. He's coordinated and can catch lobs or drop passes from SGA plus his 7'1" wingspan is great for block & swipes.

Side note: His 3 FTs were bricks tonight but have no fear he is Drummond at the stripe. Shot ~70% all 3 years at Nebraska.

You didnt mention him before tonight either?

Roby was a cut candidate and many OKC fans expected him to be gone. Not only injuries held him up, he also looked outof place during a lot of minutes he was on the court, even so in preseason. He did have a nice game this preseason though. He flashes a few nice moves every now and then.

He's got a nice allround game but isnt great at anything, just all round skilled and good agility. He'll also insert some boneheaded plays every now and then but the effort is there. He's a good passer as well, just not very disciplined. Shooting is meeeh as well, but he solves that somewhat by being a good driver (as we all saw) and being sneaky athletic, plus he hads great measurements (6-8 with a +3 of +4 wingspan). I like his fit with Bazley and SGA who have more upside - its nice to maybe get a decent role.player in place with those guys, much like Maledon and Dort.

I also noticed someone saying Roby would be competition for Bazley, but it will be Horford/Musc for Roby mostly. Eventhough he's short for the position, he looks like he could be a really useful smallball C. Maybe somewhat in the mold of a budget Green or Horford if he starts playing a bit smarter/in control the instincts are there.

Edited by perkinsfor3
  • 2 weeks later...

He's low key playing solid D and though he's not dominating, he's doing everything decent when he is playing.

If Horford sits tonight we might see a decent, not explosive line.

Horford out again tonight. Not sure why Rotoworld keeps suggesting  Muscala is the big winner when Horford sits. Roby has been the one to stream over Muscala.

2 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

Horford out again tonight. Not sure why Rotoworld keeps suggesting  Muscala is the big winner when Horford sits. Roby has been the one to stream over Muscala.

They don't even know who Roby is

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, PauGaSpurs said:

Horford without timetable for return ("personal"). Time to add Roby? 

the guy passes eye test

guy has a good stroke, great motor, doesnt force anything and makes the extra pass for an even better shot opportunity...most of the time hes guarding way bigger dudes than him (3-4 inches bigger) and does a somewhat of a good job (dont see why he cannot play the 4 next to horford)...he has his flaws but so does every younger guy in the league, especially the ones not getting minutes to develop...hes better with each game, i can def see them pulling the plug on horford sometime during the season or maybe even slide him over to pf spot which is his natural position

4 hours ago, L3onD said:

the guy passes eye test

guy has a good stroke, great motor, doesnt force anything and makes the extra pass for an even better shot opportunity...most of the time hes guarding way bigger dudes than him (3-4 inches bigger) and does a somewhat of a good job (dont see why he cannot play the 4 next to horford)...he has his flaws but so does every younger guy in the league, especially the ones not getting minutes to develop...hes better with each game, i can def see them pulling the plug on horford sometime during the season or maybe even slide him over to pf spot which is his natural position

He definitely impressed in his first game starting earlier (especially considering it was against Vuc) but the game he had against an inferior opponent in Chicago left a lot to be desired. Still, a young up and coming center getting 28-30ish mpg is nothing to disregard so I'll be keeping my eye alot closer on it now.

I was gonna drop him if he didn't get a steal or a block. Not saying he sucks but he is a good positional defender that doesn't give out fouls by trying to get blocks. 

Definitely keeping him longer now. I wonder if his ceiling is high enough to be a starter in this league? 

Hes really good. He matched up with Jokic as best as he could. Got quick hands. Is a Good Passer. He has a good touch as a shooter too. They just dont pass him the ball. If he gets more shots i could see him being a top 80 player forsure. 

Demonstrated ability + opportunity = yes sir! Giddy up. In active category leagues over 180 players deep, he’s a great speculative stream with potential for lasting value. Unloading Horford could be a nice ticket. 

5 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Has the tools... Consistency though... Maybe late season bloomer, but that spot is reserved for Bazley. 

There are more than enough minutes to go around for Bazley and Roby to be relevant in fantasy once the Thunder give up on the Horford experiment. 

• Like 1

Bazley been playing almost exclusively at the PF so he isn't a factor. 

Fantasy wise I need to him to show that his lack of stocks in the previous stretch was a fluke. Then I will tough it out to keep him till the end of season. 

I do not see many of these guys breaking out. If there is too much trust put on a young group of players they usually do not perform as a unit. Not well enough to make all relevant. Its also about opportunity and maturity to perform... I feel like Bazley will be given the chance and opportunities. Roby might get the minutes, but will he be able to perform or given a role where to have a chance to perform.

I will have my trigger finger ready to pick him up for sure. But not stashing at this moment. Not intrigued enough. The coach seems not to force feed minutes to anyone. Would feel better if the potential to play +34 consistently would be there. Will look time to time if the coach loosens up and picks his horses instead of running whole stable out there... Seems like a developmental approach to the whole lot, not picking individuals. They have many young guys who need burn.

Edited by JormaJormala

I feel like he is an experiment. He is fast enough to be in position to contest shots but is not tall enough to protect the rim. Bigger centers don't have much issues with scoring on him on the inside but he can defend the pick and roll well.

Doesn't have the definite feel of a starter but is borderline.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thedecision said:

No love for him? Started next to Horford, 3 steals + 3 blocks. He is only 23.

I think people are just being cautious because OKC's roster was depleted last night. But yeah I'm watching like a hawk in a 16-teamer

• Like 1