NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

6 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Im not sure what some of you guys are talking about saying no one expected this or this came out of nowhere, in all my time of playing fantasy sports this was one of the most obvious breakouts Ive seen if you were paying any attention. He was posting godly lines in the G league for like a month straight and had some great games towards the end of last season

I think he was an obvious breakout candidate. I don’t think anyone saw:

-Wall going down with a knee injury the night before Porter’s first game

-Gordon going down with a groin strain for 4-6 weeks the day of Porter’s game 

-Silas immediately handing the keys to Porter after a single practice 

Lots of players have had big G league stints. I can’t think of a single one who became his NBA team’s number one option in his second game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man is looking around at his teammates wondering if he ever left the G-League.

"When you add the math"   I think you meant "When you add the meth" after looking at this trade. 

Damn that’s a great trade for your opponent.   Fantasy theft is not a joke, Jim!

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

Tonight is gonna be interesting... All four of the Rockets lead options are out. Wall, Gordon, Dipo, Wood.  

But KPJ has to face the Jazz. It’ll be interesting to see how he fares. 

Jesus Christ this is gonna be a bloodbath. This Houston G (as in Ghetto) league team that has even less players on the bench than one of the best NBA contending teams this year. If KPJ makes it out of this alive, than call him the new Harden lol. 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

I think he was an obvious breakout candidate. I don’t think anyone saw:

-Wall going down with a knee injury the night before Porter’s first game

-Gordon going down with a groin strain for 4-6 weeks the day of Porter’s game 

-Silas immediately handing the keys to Porter after a single practice 

Lots of players have had big G league stints. I can’t think of a single one who became his NBA team’s number one option in his second game. 

The same john wall who has played 70 games over the last 3 seasons? I think most people could have seen an injury coming, maybe not the exact timing but lets not act like this is that surprising.

Maybe for Gordon you can argue that it was a bigger surprise but again this isn't a guy with a history of durability who is 32 coming off a season where he played 36 games.

And for your last point we're talking about a team playing guys like House, Nwaba, Tate 30+ minutes, guys who KPJ is so far clear of in terms of talent it shouldn't be a surprise to see him given big minutes right away. Kevin Love himself said he was the most talented player on the Cavs roster earlier this season. Myself and others have been sounding the alarm on KPJ for the last month letting you guys know this was in the works.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

The same john wall who has played 70 games over the last 3 seasons? I think most people could have seen an injury coming, maybe not the exact timing but lets not act like this is that surprising.

Maybe for Gordon you can argue that it was a bigger surprise but again this isn't a guy with a history of durability who is 32 coming off a season where he played 36 games.

And for your last point we're talking about a team playing guys like House, Nwaba, Tate 30+ minutes, guys who KPJ is so far clear of in terms of talent it shouldn't be a surprise to see him given big minutes right away. Kevin Love himself said he was the most talented player on the Cavs roster earlier this season. Myself and others have been sounding the alarm on KPJ for the last month letting you guys know this was in the works.

Brah anyone could have guessed that Wall and Gordon might get injured at some point. What is surprising that it all aligned on the same day, along with Wood being kept out longer than expected, after saying he hoped to be back before the All Star Break.  

If you predicted that KPJ would be the number one option in his second game, kudos. Most people didn’t expect something like this till after the trade deadline.

55 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Yeah I remember even when he was in Cleveland, KPJ was touted as being a more talented and higher-upside prospect than both Sexton and Garland. His personal life and attitude have always been his biggest issues.

If he can mature and work on that, sky's the limit

Edited by fabrar
3 minutes ago, thornton1986 said:

Lol that’s taking it a little far

You don’t think he could put up more stats (not be better) than Donovan Mitchell ROS, if VO is benched or traded, Eric Gordon doesn’t play (not unlikely), and some other guys get traded?

17 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

So if the stars continue to align all season, what are we looking at here? Top 20 (in points leagues)?

If the stars continue to align top 50 is certainly reasonable. 

• Like 1

Top 20 lol. That’s mighty optimistic when there are 30 teams in the NBA - Porter would have to produce better than the best players of 1/3 of the teams in the NBA. And not to mention - there’s Christian Wood on his own team as well.

Not saying he can’t achieve it, but top 50 does seem more like a reasonable ceiling when being optimistic.

Edited by darkyume

Yeah I think top 50 is a reasonable ceiling. I actually think it's better for him to play as a 3rd option behind Wood and a wall. He's not ready to be a full-on number 1 option just yet and doing so will greatly hurt his efficiency. 

1 hour ago, claptondecheeks said:

So if the stars continue to align all season, what are we looking at here? Top 20 (in points leagues)?

That's his floor in a worst case scenario. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Im not sure what some of you guys are talking about saying no one expected this or this came out of nowhere, in all my time of playing fantasy sports this was one of the most obvious breakouts Ive seen if you were paying any attention. He was posting godly lines in the G league for like a month straight and had some great games towards the end of last season

I was a denier mainly because G league stats are hard to interpret (so many G league studs don't pan out in the NBA) and you've got ball dominant dudes like Wall/Dipo.

All that being said, he's got insane opportunity and I am hoping he drops 60 tonight to lead the rockets to a win against the Jazz. LFG.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I read the plan is for him to run the second team as PG. if that's the case he's not getting enough minutes to be fantasy relevant.  

Swing and a miss my guy.

There's plenty of guys that don't start and are fantasy revelant. Im sorry you missed out on the pick up

• Like 2
Just now, stay_woke said:

Swing and a miss my guy.

There's plenty of guys that don't start and are fantasy revelant. Im sorry you missed out on the pick up

I'm a Kevin Porter Jr. owner. Picked him up an hour ago. But nice try guy

Just now, gbill2004 said:

I'm a Kevin Porter Jr. owner. Picked him up an hour ago. But nice try guy

Pretty bizarre take then. You do know the stats count just as much whether the player starts or not? He's their most talented player and the future of the team, he'll get plenty of minutes as long as he doesn't flip another car

Just now, stay_woke said:

Pretty bizarre take then. You do know the stats count just as much whether the player starts or not? He's their most talented player and the future of the team, he'll get plenty of minutes as long as he doesn't flip another car

You do realize that minutes on the court have meaning, right?  Can't produce if your on the bench. 

5 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

You do realize that minutes on the court have meaning, right?  Can't produce if your on the bench. 

1+1=2, am i right?

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Dude are you dense? The other guy was saying that you can be fantasy relevant even off the bench, which is true and which we have many examples of. 

What even is the point you're trying to make? 

36 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I read the plan is for him to run the second team as PG. if that's the case he's not getting enough minutes to be fantasy relevant.  

How was that line last night not fantasy relevant?