NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man is looking around at his teammates wondering if he ever left the G-League.

"When you add the math"   I think you meant "When you add the meth" after looking at this trade. 

Damn that’s a great trade for your opponent.   Fantasy theft is not a joke, Jim!

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Dropped. This dude is hot trash in 9-CAT. Has been a 20th rounder on the year and I am out of patience lmao. 

Yeah he’s annoying to own if you’re not punting TO. I only need AST and STL from him he can give me 0s everywhere else for all I are and I think those 2 cats + nominal points should be there 

25 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Dropped. This dude is hot trash in 9-CAT. Has been a 20th rounder on the year and I am out of patience lmao. 

Good.

Glad he is being dropped. Less clutter in this thread.

• Haha 1

Posited: He's fantasy fool's gold this year, will be something else in future years.

I was resistant to DMC for so many years because he was very, very bad in three cats, not-good-enough in others. When Cousins started he was awesome with points, rebounds and steals, and eventually got his efficiency cats high enough to make up for his gaudy counting stats.

Porter's got 3 steals in 7 games since his breakout, no blocks and his other counting stats are all over the place. He's too hard to drop given his situation, but he only works in certain builds THIS year.

What sucks is that if you drop him, he's gonna go crazy in certain games and lure you back in, or help your opponents. I personally have no choice but to hold based on that, sadly.

• Like 2

He’s actually really bad for 9-cat. There’s a reason he’s outside the Top-200.

Here’s what folks often forget in 9-cat: there are actually 9 categories! If a guy is actively hurting you in 3 categories (FG, FT, TO), he better be putting up godly numbers in the other categories. This kid doesn’t. He’s a middling positive in 2 categories (Pts, Asts), but that’s it. Not worth a roster spot in 10-team or less, or even competitive 12-teamers imo till he figures it out.

• Like 3

It's ugly right now, grief.  Glad I benched him ahead five turnovers, I did not figure he'd go out of his way to make sure I lost that before half time had I played him.

This is the most conflicted I've felt with a player all year.  I feel like there is a lot of upside to unearth, but it just might be too early, and the lack of mentorship and talent in general around him is probably a detriment to his growth for now.

Gives decent assists, but what else is he truly helping with.  Some threes, decent points, not much of a rebounder, no stocks lately, not a great shooter from the field, horrible shooting from the line for a guard, and now I guess poor decision making with the turnovers tonight.

Might hang on and just not play him so he can't hurt my percentages and TO for now, only because I'm in first and can ride it out for a bit, but I don't have the feeling that he's going to be an overall contributor to a run to championship.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

It's ugly right now, grief.  Glad I benched him ahead five turnovers, I did not figure he'd go out of his way to make sure I lost that before half time had I played him.

This is the most conflicted I've felt with a player all year.  I feel like there is a lot of upside to unearth, but it just might be too early, and the lack of mentorship and talent in general around him is probably a detriment to his growth for now.

Gives decent assists, but what else is he truly helping with.  Some threes, decent points, not much of a rebounder, no stocks lately, not a great shooter from the field, horrible shooting from the line for a guard, and now I guess poor decision making with the turnovers tonight.

Might hang on and just not play him so he can't hurt my percentages and TO for now, only because I'm in first and can ride it out for a bit, but I don't have the feeling that he's going to be an overall contributor to a run to championship.

I kind of wish I could stash him on my IR. I don’t want the damage he does but I also don’t want someone else to benefit from his potential upside lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eltoro said:

I kind of wish I could stash him on my IR. I don’t want the damage he does but I also don’t want someone else to benefit from his potential upside lol.

my thoughts exactly. He's hurting me but the way fantasy works is when you drop em they start breaking out. lol

2 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

I ain't no psychic, but I would say hold on man.  It's crazy how reactionary people get in fantasy - a few weeks ago he was lauded as a ridiculous high upside waiver wire steal, and he proved his worth through his first 5 games, then Wall's return complicated things, then KPJ got injured, and consistency has been an issue ever since.  But the upside is still alive and well imo, and he has all the opportunity in the world ROS.  I'm not totally confident he'll be wonderful to own down the stretch, but it astounds me how reactive people are in such a short window of time.  He's a strong hold for me, at least through this week and I'll take it from there.   But I always must always emphasize that I'm speaking from a points league perspective, so I know that changes things greatly.

8 hours ago, Nica4two said:

I ain't no psychic, but I would say hold on man.  It's crazy how reactionary people get in fantasy - a few weeks ago he was lauded as a ridiculous high upside waiver wire steal, and he proved his worth through his first 5 games, then Wall's return complicated things, then KPJ got injured, and consistency has been an issue ever since.  But the upside is still alive and well imo, and he has all the opportunity in the world ROS.  I'm not totally confident he'll be wonderful to own down the stretch, but it astounds me how reactive people are in such a short window of time.  He's a strong hold for me, at least through this week and I'll take it from there.   But I always must always emphasize that I'm speaking from a points league perspective, so I know that changes things greatly.

I mean you make some valid points here.  I still feel like he has the upside, but also feel like it really just might be too early to realize the fruits of it based on the returns so far.  We're two weeks from fantasy playoffs in my league, so we're not exactly early in the season where we have time for him to figure things out.  People are giving valid reasons for why he's a burden to their team, I don't see how it is overreacting at this point.  Dropping him for a Flynn stream for a week might be overreacting, I don't understand how stating your concerns on a discussion forum is.

Also feel like it is like you said, perspective will be completely different when you are in a points league and aren't feeling the burn with percentages or turnovers, particularly if you are typically strong in the FT% category.

• Like 1

Couple more weeks left, but depending on the matchups I may drop or bench him. I can essentially choose to win or lose and pick my playoff opponents that way which could lead me to a easy first week win if done properly. But definitely not the league winner he was anointed to become. I am likely losing TOs every week so no big there, its the %s and lack of everything else that hurts. If he ain't doing anything right, what good is he??? 

7 hours ago, Brown_Mamba said:

I like players that hold themselves accountable.  I still believe he can get the deficiencies ironed out.  The FT% percentage issue is definitely a concern and may stay a problem, so I am not too attached.  But I would say he is still a hold for a little longer.  I have the luxury of sitting him on my bench (roto), but for h2h, yeah, making a decision sooner than later is maybe best.

But for people doubting, take his March for example (with that dud and injury game in it).  He was 16, 3, 6 with a steal and half a block on 44.5% FG, but an abysmal 57.7 FT%.  If he normalizes the FT to what he shot last year (72.3% - which still isn't great), and at least maintains the rest, I think he is still useful.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

He’s actually really bad for 9-cat. There’s a reason he’s outside the Top-200.

Here’s what folks often forget in 9-cat: there are actually 9 categories! If a guy is actively hurting you in 3 categories (FG, FT, TO), he better be putting up godly numbers in the other categories. This kid doesn’t. He’s a middling positive in 2 categories (Pts, Asts), but that’s it. Not worth a roster spot in 10-team or less, or even competitive 12-teamers imo till he figures it out.

Viewing real life players performance through categories has always been a problem for me. With how crappy the Rockets have been, it is tough to tell Houston is a better team with Porter in the lineup or not. But my guess is his assists and points make the Rockets more competitive than when he is not in the lineup. Don't really see enough of Houston to know how his defense is.

In my points league, his value is right in the range of Draymond Green, Garland, RJ Barrett and Ayton. So nobody is dropping him there.