Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, rob0403 said:

I was surprised  how quickly people was gonna drop this guy. Talking about a 30+ min as the primary PG, you would risk whatever bad stats you might have to get at that floor and upside in the last fantasy weeks.

Truly head scratching.

ur putting too much value in upside or long term value over what helps you win a 1 week small sample matchup. players like porter jr and cole anythony early and gardland (kinda) got hype and priority pickups early in the year  because of the volume and dimes that starting pg's can get in 30 min's. you dont put much stock into the flaws early in the year and just are happy with the volume.

 

its been said by me and others that if hes hurting you in so many cats he should have good popcorn numbers and solid threes and steals. thats the problem i have with him. you can stream a hot shooter like bullock for example and really boost ur 3's, or other specialist that dont hurt you. if ur looking for ceiling and need to gamble then porter jr is the play but if ur teams really solid streaming "might" be a better option. still got 2 weeks until playoffs, 3 if you get a bye. and no one should drop until po if thats their plan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man is looking around at his teammates wondering if he ever left the G-League.

"When you add the math"   I think you meant "When you add the meth" after looking at this trade. 

Damn that’s a great trade for your opponent.   Fantasy theft is not a joke, Jim!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

people here were convince he was a drop

 

funnystyle foos tho 

He had his best game in a while yesterday. Despite that, he's ranked #195 in 9-cat over the last week.

He is a serious positive in only 1 category - assists, and a slight positive in points. He seriously hurts you in 3 categories - FG, FT, TO. And he's pretty useless/neutral in the remaining 4 categories (3s, rebounds, steals and blks).

These are Kevin Porter's averages over the last 2 months:

  • 15.6 Points - Slight positive
  • 6.1 Assists - Positive
  • 3.6 Rebounds - Meh
  • 1.3 Threes - Meh
  • 0.9 Steals - Meh
  • 0.5 Blocks - Meh
  • 43% FG on 14 FGA - Garbage
  • 67% FT on 3.2 FTA - Garbage
  • 3.3 TOs - Garbage

What folks don't understand about 9-cat, is that there are 9 categories.

Hold for points, likely keeper hold, but this guy is garbage for 9-cat.

Here's a comparison of another player who's a waiver pickup, but doesn't have nearly as many fanboys as KPJ does (Chuma Okeke):

  • 14.3 Points
  • 2.8 Assists
  • 5.4 Rebounds
  • 1.8 Threes
  • 1.3 Steals
  • 0.6 Blocks
  • 52% FG on 11 FGA
  • 92% FT on 1.6 FTA
  • 1.3 TOs

^ this is across the board production, with good efficiency, and something that'll actually help folks win leagues. It doesn't hurt you anywhere. But I'm pretty sure a lot of folks on this thread will choose KPJ over Chuma based on the false upside hope.

 

Edited by Apollo_87
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To put it in a nutshell:

For those in 9 cat H2H, you either bench him or drop for a hot pickup (Bullock)

For those in 9 cat Roto, you either bench or just deploy him on certain days. Doubt there is anybody else hovering on the waiver getting 30+ min.

For those in points; All systems go!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

He had his best game in a while yesterday. Despite that, he's ranked #195 in 9-cat over the last week.

He is a serious positive in only 1 category - assists, and a slight positive in points. He seriously hurts you in 3 categories - FG, FT, TO. And he's pretty useless/neutral in the remaining 4 categories (3s, rebounds, steals and blks).

These are Kevin Porter's averages over the last 2 months:

  • 15.6 Points - Slight positive
  • 6.1 Assists - Positive
  • 3.6 Rebounds - Meh
  • 1.3 Threes - Meh
  • 0.9 Steals - Meh
  • 0.5 Blocks - Meh
  • 43% FG on 14 FGA - Garbage
  • 67% FT on 3.2 FTA - Garbage
  • 3.3 TOs - Garbage

What folks don't understand about 9-cat, is that there are 9 categories.

Hold for points, likely keeper hold, but this guy is garbage for 9-cat.

Here's a comparison of another player who's a waiver pickup, but doesn't have nearly as many fanboys as KPJ does (Chuma Okeke):

  • 14.3 Points
  • 2.8 Assists
  • 5.4 Rebounds
  • 1.8 Threes
  • 1.3 Steals
  • 0.6 Blocks
  • 52% FG on 11 FGA
  • 92% FT on 1.6 FTA
  • 1.3 TOs

^ this is across the board production, with good efficiency, and something that'll actually help folks win leagues. It doesn't hurt you anywhere. But I'm pretty sure a lot of folks on this thread will choose KPJ over Chuma based on the false upside hope.

 

 

 

youre overthinking it

 

 

hes not a drop 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get what people are saying, but I have also seen flashes of greatness. There's a real chance he puts it all together down the stretch. I'm holding. Im near the top in my leagues (1st/2nd). He has potential to win you a championship. If theres anoher player on the wire with that upside I can see dropping. However there really isn't in any of my leagues. So I'll wait it out. I still think the best is yet to come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nrobinson_1984 said:

I get what people are saying, but I have also seen flashes of greatness. There's a real chance he puts it all together down the stretch. I'm holding. Im near the top in my leagues (1st/2nd). He has potential to win you a championship. If theres anoher player on the wire with that upside I can see dropping. However there really isn't in any of my leagues. So I'll wait it out. I still think the best is yet to come.

Yes but he also has potential to lose you a championship...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

You know that equates to outside Top-200 in 9-cat over the past month?

 

 

thats why rankings don’t mean anything 

 

look at russell westbrook’s ranking .. is he a drop too? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

 Sounds like Wall wants to play ROS

Which is good. People didn’t like Kevin Porter being the main ball handler and first option anyways. So this should shut up the complainers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Which is good. People didn’t like Kevin Porter being the main ball handler and first option anyways. So this should shut up the complainers.

It will be worse watching Wall take 25 shots a game bricking 20 while KPJ just chills in the corner

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BykeINIT said:

 

 

thats why rankings don’t mean anything 

 

look at russell westbrook’s ranking .. is he a drop too? 

I looked at Westbrook’s ranking - he is a fifth rounder in 9-cat over the last month (ranked #53 compared to Porter’s #219). He also has years of high level production to back him.

Awful attempt comparing Westbrook to Kevin Porter, bud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

I looked at Westbrook’s ranking - he is a fifth rounder in 9-cat over the last month (ranked #53 compared to Porter’s #219). He also has years of high level production to back him.

Awful attempt comparing Westbrook to Kevin Porter, bud.

Westbrook ranks outside the 100 this season. I think he is simply saying you can't go by only rank to determine if a player is a drop or not. Nobody in their right mind would say KPJ>Westbrook. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

I looked at Westbrook’s ranking - he is a fifth rounder in 9-cat over the last month (ranked #53 compared to Porter’s #219). He also has years of high level production to back him.

Awful attempt comparing Westbrook to Kevin Porter, bud.

How many games has KPJ played? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jrmintz said:

Westbrook ranks outside the 100 this season. I think he is simply saying you can't go by only rank to determine if a player is a drop or not. Nobody in their right mind would say KPJ>Westbrook. 

Agreed,

And when Westbrook was trash the beginning of the season nobody was saying “I’m going to drop Westbrook” either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrmintz said:

Westbrook ranks outside the 100 this season. I think he is simply saying you can't go by only rank to determine if a player is a drop or not. Nobody in their right mind would say KPJ>Westbrook. 

Outside of 100 and outside of 200 are very different things.

I agree that ranks can often hide value when a player is bad at a category. Drummond's ranked #92 in 9-cat for example. And that's the thing - despite sucking colossally at that one category (59% FT on 5 FTA/G), he's still within the top-100. Cause he's actually good. Zion's even better - sucks colossally at FT too, but is ranked top-50.

KPJ is outside the top-200. That's not the result of just sucking at 1 category. That's not the result of just sucking at 2 categories. That's the result of sucking at 3 categories, PLUS being meh at 4 other categories. And when you're bad at 3 and meh in 4 cats out 9, that makes you a drop candidate. Yes, KPJ is a good contributor in assists, but so is Whiteside in blocks. Doesn't mean either of them is worth a roster spot in 9-cat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Agreed,

And when Westbrook was trash the beginning of the season nobody was saying “I’m going to drop Westbrook” either.

Yea, because Westbrook has been averaging 20 pt trip-dubs with 1+ 3s/Stls for the last 3 seasons. He had a track record of high performance. KPJ has no real track record of actually performing well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

I looked at Westbrook’s ranking - he is a fifth rounder in 9-cat over the last month (ranked #53 compared to Porter’s #219). He also has years of high level production to back him.

Awful attempt comparing Westbrook to Kevin Porter, bud.

what is westbrook ranked on the entire year?

 

dont try n be slick 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

Outside of 100 and outside of 200 are very different things.

I agree that ranks can often hide value when a player is bad at a category. Drummond's ranked #92 in 9-cat for example. And that's the thing - despite sucking colossally at that one category (59% FT on 5 FTA/G), he's still within the top-100. Cause he's actually good. Zion's even better - sucks colossally at FT too, but is ranked top-50.

KPJ is outside the top-200. That's not the result of just sucking at 1 category. That's not the result of just sucking at 2 categories. That's the result of sucking at 3 categories, PLUS being meh at 4 other categories. And when you're bad at 3 and meh in 4 cats out 9, that makes you a drop candidate. Yes, KPJ is a good contributor in assists, but so is Whiteside in blocks. Doesn't mean either of them is worth a roster spot in 9-cat.

 

its also the result of some outlier games where he put up just a couple points, which would skew everything 

cant really base his entire game off his first month playing 

his potential is well beyond where he’s ranked 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

Yea, because Westbrook has been averaging 20 pt trip-dubs with 1+ 3s/Stls for the last 3 seasons. He had a track record of high performance. KPJ has no real track record of actually performing well.

 

but he’s had games where he’s shown just how good he can be 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...