NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Definitely a victory lap moment there. This game may very well change everything, and he might turn into a top 50 player ROS.

It’s not like prior to tonight’s game he was ranked outside the top-300 over the last month in 9-cat.

I wouldn’t bet on it, but wish his owners the best!

Did you miss out on him bro? Pretty sad to be coming into a thread of a player you don't own just to extinguish the hype / gloat about him playing bad. Screams sour grapes to me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man is looking around at his teammates wondering if he ever left the G-League.

"When you add the math"   I think you meant "When you add the meth" after looking at this trade. 

Damn that’s a great trade for your opponent.   Fantasy theft is not a joke, Jim!

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Definitely a victory lap moment there. This game may very well change everything, and he might turn into a top 50 player ROS.

It’s not like prior to tonight’s game he was ranked outside the top-300 over the last month in 9-cat.

I wouldn’t bet on it, but wish his owners the best!

I don’t know or really care if he turns into a top 50 guy. You asked how the “upside” was going... this is why you wait for upside.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, atrium said:

Did you miss out on him bro? Pretty sad to be coming into a thread of a player you don't own just to extinguish the hype / gloat about him playing bad. Screams sour grapes to me.

I know right? What's the point in trying to throw shade on a guy that is guaranteed minutes and could be the sole PG ROS. (PS don't wait to jump onto the backup PG in Denver)

The expectations for KPJ are so high for a 20 year old but that's how good he is. 

• Like 3

KPJ will get a lot of play time, score points, 3pts, decent assists and some steals. Efficiency will vary with tendency towards lower side. TOs will be high. As long as managers accept what he brings and temper expectations, take the good with the bad.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ez2do4now said:

KPJ will get a lot of play time, score points, 3pts, decent assists and some steals. Efficiency will vary with tendency towards lower side. TOs will be high. As long as managers accept what he brings and temper expectations, take the good with the bad.

Turnovers is a problem with guys who have the ball a lot. If he can keep grabbing 5 boards and give strong assists plus stocks im good with bad FG%. He seems to have worked on his free throws at least thats getting better and that one goof on here seems to forget this guy is 20 years old you take the good with the bad 

2 minutes ago, BykeINIT said:

i feel bad for owners who still try to win turnovers 

Yeah I'm #1 in 2 of my 3 leagues, and #2 in the other, and I have high TO guys in every league (including KPJ in all 3) - I lose that cat every week pretty much. If you have high-usage. high-volume players, they're gonna have high TOs. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Yeah I'm #1 in 2 of my 3 leagues, and #2 in the other, and I have high TO guys in every league (including KPJ in all 3) - I lose that cat every week pretty much. If you have high-usage. high-volume players, they're gonna have high TOs. 

It's been a long time since I played with TO's as a scoring category. Back then only guards handled the ball and point forwards was not a concept.

The way the NBA has evolved, a good strategy is to TRY to draft a team with above average out of position passers, i.e.: Bam, Jokic, Thaddeus, Draymond, DeRozan, with glue guys like TJ McConnell. Of course it is easier said than done.

52 minutes ago, BykeINIT said:

i feel bad for owners who still try to win turnovers 

Pretty terrible statement. 

If you punt assists you should be competing for turnovers. Most points punt teams should as well. 

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, j3rkthenurk said:

If you punt assists you should be competing for turnovers. Most points punt teams should as well. 

I mean it's accurate in the context of discussing KPJ. If you own him, you're not punting assists so you'll have high TOs if you have a bunch of PGs or point forwards on your team 

13 minutes ago, fabrar said:

I mean it's accurate in the context of discussing KPJ. If you own him, you're not punting assists so you'll have high TOs if you have a bunch of PGs or point forwards on your team 

In terms of KPJ sure 

In general it isnt. 

How does one draft the perfect team? A team with no punts. Does this mean you’re just mediocre in all stats? And is being mediocre good enough to win it all? Im looking at the players at the bottom of our league and those players have pretty low TOs all season long. I think if you’re winning TOs it’s a sign you need to change things up. (Standard 9 CAT) I don’t play in points leagues so not sure how that works.

Back on subject... KPJ did awesome WITH Wall in the lineup so that has to be a huge sigh of relief. Hope he can keep this up. His previous performance gave me a pretty good head start to kick off my playoffs 🤞

• Thanks 1

Usually if you are punting assists and are winning turnovers, that usually means you have guys who don’t handle the ball as much or don’t get many shots off thus you might be mediocre/punting points as well.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, lanyabatt said:

How does one draft the perfect team? A team with no punts. Does this mean you’re just mediocre in all stats? And is being mediocre good enough to win it all? Im looking at the players at the bottom of our league and those players have pretty low TOs all season long. I think if you’re winning TOs it’s a sign you need to change things up. (Standard 9 CAT) I don’t play in points leagues so not sure how that works.

Back on subject... KPJ did awesome WITH Wall in the lineup so that has to be a huge sigh of relief. Hope he can keep this up. His previous performance gave me a pretty good head start to kick off my playoffs 🤞

There is no perfect team in fantasy bball. In my hockey leagues ive shut out multiple teams in a week but in bball its impossible ive never seen it in all my years. 

44 minutes ago, lanyabatt said:

How does one draft the perfect team? A team with no punts. Does this mean you’re just mediocre in all stats?

It’s tricky but doable. You just look for efficient guys in every round. You don’t end up mediocre if you pick guys like Steph, Jokic, Jimmy, Kawhi, Vuc, Jrue, Demar etc etc. Once you have a core of 4-5 guys that don’t hurt your %s you can round it out with guys like OG, Mikal Bridges, RoCo etc. I won three chips without punting. 

Punting is a little more fun though bc you can just not worry about specific cats. 

I'm going to add my two cents even though it's derailing the KPJ thread.

I started fantasy bball roto format which included TO. Later moved on to h2h 8 cat leagues so TO never came into play. Never do I draft to punt a category. Depending on my draft order, players available, other teams strategies, and clock winding down, I always draft based on the following criteria: (1) best available player in the first 2-3 rounds, (2) strong consideration if said player is the main scorer/ball hogger in his team and covers multi cats, (3) position scarcity, especially if he is an elite PG, SF or C, bonus points if multi position eligible, (4) category scarcity like elite blockers, (5) avoid players that can single handedly sink a category like Giannis/Drummond on FT%, FVV/Dipo on FG%, (6) always good to get 2 top PGs or 2 top Cs and backfill with lesser players later.

There is bound to be a category that my drafted roster will be deficient, be it blocks, steals, assists, etc. So to try to construct a team with the purpose of punting one category, I may end up weak in more areas. As the season progresses, drafted players will be replaced with FA finds due to injuries, bad selections or poor play. In those situations, I have to run to quickly get these gems before another team does. Do I say no because he doesn't fit my team make up IF I had a punt strategy, of course not.

There is so much going on that one has to be very lucky.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

and these teams are “terrible”

4 hours ago, lanyabatt said:

^^gets it 

my strategy has always been “build for everything outside of turnovers and fg%״ 

it’s helped me to 14 championships 

I mean you can try not to punt anything... but in my experience, similar to a lot of people here, you probably end up losing.

TO is the best thing to punt because all your superstars will have the highest usage and therefore TO. And when I say punt, I mean putting it on lowest priority.  You can sometimes top another punt TO team in TO.

I moved on from the guy sadly. My team has been very good in efficiency but with him I felt like its not the right fit when I want to win FG FT and TOs. Playoffs is next week so I need to make sure my best cats are solid.

10 hours ago, lanyabatt said:

There is no perfect way to draft a team, but i would rather punt categories than be mediocre in every category.

If you're winning turnovers, it doesn't mean your team is necessarily ****. If you focus for instance rebounds, steals, blocks and FG%, you can still win your league which I have done multiple times. Usage is great for gaining threes and points, but it is not the only way to win a league.

10 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Usually if you are punting assists and are winning turnovers, that usually means you have guys who don’t handle the ball as much or don’t get many shots off thus you might be mediocre/punting points as well.

You're right. Punting points and punting assists tend to go hand in hand. But you can still win a league.

5 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

and these teams are “terrible”

My first place winnings states otherwise.

Any team structure can win a league including one where you would want to compete in turnovers.