NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

12 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

I wavered for sure. But I held because he showed enough flashes to make me hope for something like this.  

Now I just hope he can carry this forward till the end of next week.

Next year, it's gonna be a bumpy road with Wall playing to start off.

This year, clear hold and roster for me. Except I left him in the IR for last game. I got lucky.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man is looking around at his teammates wondering if he ever left the G-League.

"When you add the math"   I think you meant "When you add the meth" after looking at this trade. 

Damn that’s a great trade for your opponent.   Fantasy theft is not a joke, Jim!

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

This year, clear hold and roster for me. Except I left him in the IR for last game. I got lucky.

Hopefully he's playing beside Cade 

On 4/27/2021 at 11:17 PM, CharlesCC2 said:

Hoping it's just rust from not having touched a basketball while in protocols.  Because damn this guy has nowhere to hide with Wall done for the season.  So far it's looking like Houston screwed up putting their chips on him.

Or maybe they are getting what they want with him contributing to them losing and getting a better draft pick.  Next level moves by Houston.

This aged well.

• Haha 4

Probably his best game ever. He’s volatile,  have good games and bad games but at the end of the week his average stats are what is expected. 
If he was boring like a Thaddeus Young or Harrison Barnes, this thread would have cobwebs. 

51 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I suspect they will do everything in their power to turn the page on Wall. Like he’s making $90 million over the next two years and he is untradeable, so if they can convince him to take a buyout for say $70-75 million then they can start with a clean slate.  

Fertitta is a cheapskate but this might actually save him a bit of money.

Geez, I was making fun of him for last game, but I guess he heard me.  That's one of the most ridiculous comeback statlines I've ever seen from a non-star player (or a player I've grabbed off the wire).

He and Wood basically saved my playoff season.  I'm just wondering if he didn't turn the ball over in those first 20 seconds and Giannis didn't turn that already injured ankle on Kelly's foot during the steal/fast break, would he and Wood have gone off like that ...?  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Lol

Bruh, if this kid pulls through in the remaining 2 games and helps me win my playoff round, I'll admit mistake and will pick him 3rd round in next season's draft.

7 hours ago, Eltoro said:

I suspect they will do everything in their power to turn the page on Wall. Like he’s making $90 million over the next two years and he is untradeable, so if they can convince him to take a buyout for say $70-75 million then they can start with a clean slate.  

Fertitta is a cheapskate but this might actually save him a bit of money.

I think it's possible too. Whatever they can to save money. Houston will probably fill out the rest of their roster as cheaply as possible

Can't blame him though. Though at Wall and Eric Gordon's contract. Complete money mismanagement, the guy has to pay like 100's of millions for old vets. Might as well try to save.

5 hours ago, jowell77 said:

Temper your expectation guys. You've seen KPJ in the past month or so. He could pull a 5/15 fg with 5 ast and 7 TOs next game.

Lolol this guy is still trying, so lame. Probably got his team a** blasted by kpj last night 

Edited by fabrar
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, jowell77 said:

Temper your expectation guys. You've seen KPJ in the past month or so. He could pull a 5/15 fg with 5 ast and 7 TOs next game.

Shoot I temper my expectations on all the players I have rostered. Foolish not too. Even my first picks I temper my expectations. No reason beating myself up over something I can’t control. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, gymchamp said:

What a scrub right? lol 😂

Also about the ft's he's shooting 86.7% on 3.8 attempts in April (12 games not including this one where he is currently 5 of 6). Free throw anchor? 😜 Prob not sustainable haha but he obviously wasn't going to keep stinking it up there like he was last month.

This is the upside people were talking about. You know you're going to get bad fg% and turnovers but he has his use depending on your build (kind of like having Devonte Graham on your roster knowing his limitations and where he hurts you).

Also, really he's more of a 12+ team guy than anything. The way people **** on him it's like they drafted him in the 4th round and expected top 40 value lol instead of having picked him up free off the wire haha

First, let me start off by saying this: fuk a cat. Second, yes, this is what everyone expected from KPJ when it was announced that Wall would get his knee scoped at some point before the season ended. Ok, obviously not this, but borderline 2nd round value (in points leagues). I compared his value to Donovan Mitchell’s a while back.

10 hours ago, rob0403 said:

I have never wavered on kid. Always believed in him. Now he is winning my playoffs with this game. 

Same here. IMO, there was never a reason to drop after he was called up from the G league. He started balling right off the bat and everything was great until Wall started to play more games, but you should’ve held strong bc he balled out almost every time Wall missed games and  bc even though he denied it, Wall was almost a lock to miss the end of the season bc of all the factors around him and where the Rockets are as a franchise. 

Everyone should’ve held, specially this year. The wire has been so bare because of so many IL spots, even more after they introduced that IL +.

9 hours ago, ghstuddachamps said:

Had him benched - needed to protect FG%. No sweat, let's hope he can keep this up! although the boom or bust is tough to play.

Cat leagues are such a killjoy. Idk why you guys do it. 

9 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Yeah. KPJ will definitely get over drafted next year, which means he might be a good trade target around week 4-5.

8 hours ago, ez2do4now said:

Probably his best game ever. He’s volatile,  have good games and bad games but at the end of the week his average stats are what is expected. 
If he was boring like a Thaddeus Young or Harrison Barnes, this thread would have cobwebs. 

Dude is 21 and in his second season. 
Last year he played 50 games behind Garland, Sexton, and Cedi Osman (lol). He’s played 23 games this year and has had his role changed almost every game between backup, starter, playing point next to Oladipo, and playing the 2 next to Wall. 

I actually don’t even think he’s been volatile when you put his performance into context. He’s been great almost every time when not playing with Wall and/ or Oladipo, both of whom are ball hog chuckers.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, fabrar said:

Lolol this guy is still trying, so lame. Probably got his team a** blasted by kpj last night 

Bruh, I have KPJ since after the allstar break. While my opponent this playoff week has Olynyk. KPJ dud game on Tuesday completely wiped out my lead from Monday.

For real, I would gladly trade KPJ for Olynyk straight up for the remaining two games if I could.

2 hours ago, jowell77 said:

Bruh, I have KPJ since after the allstar break. While my opponent this playoff week has Olynyk. KPJ dud game on Tuesday completely wiped out my lead from Monday.

For real, I would gladly trade KPJ for Olynyk straight up for the remaining two games if I could.

Dude is 20 playing for a trash team after essentially being discarded by the Cavs wtf are you expecting? He is the 4th youngest player to ever score 50 points before turning 21 and is the first player in NBA history to score 50 points with 10 assists in a game. Why trade when you can drop? 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Dude is 20 playing for a trash team after essentially being discarded by the Cavs wtf are you expecting? He is the 4th youngest player to ever score 50 points before turning 21 and is the first player in NBA history to score 50 points with 10 assists in a game. Why trade when you can drop? 

Because everything else on my league's FA are straight garbage and I've almost ran out of picks this week to do a streaming.

I stuck on my bet with KPJ for over a month and have no choice to see it through. But I'm preparing mentally for him to give me another dud game or two and lose me the match up this week.

KPJ was had for free.  Presumably you have a full roster with other players that should be contributing.  I mean, if your season’s fate hinges on a trade deadline pickup, well... that’s just too bad. 

On 4/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, 80version said:

KPJ was had for free.  Presumably you have a full roster with other players that should be contributing.  I mean, if your season’s fate hinges on a trade deadline pickup, well... that’s just too bad. 

Sorta hard to say that because fantasy really hinges on making in-season moves.  Sure, drafting's obviously crucial and yes, if you have a team you mostly drafted that is intact at the end of the fantasy season, kudos.  But part of fantasy is adjusting to injuries, whether it's your own, or injuries that affect a potential player you've grabbed.  The same thing with IRL trades.  I think most, if not all fantasy vets around here can tell stories about that one waiver wire add every year that basically changed the entire season for them (and obviously, there's usually more than just one of those per season).

Sure, you can't really put that much pressure of winning/losing a championship on one wire add, but I'd also say that they're incredibly important, even within the context of the contributions of an entire fantasy team.

That being said, you can't really complain about KPJ.  He's a young kid on a rebuilding team who is expected to be one of their future stars out of nowhere. and his weaknesses of FG% and TOs are well-documented.  I'm in a tight race for the semi's in my league and KPJ just trashed my FG% and TOs when I desperately need those cats.  But I take responsibility that, by playing him, that's the risk I have to take because he contributes in most other cats.  And lastly, as you said, he's a wire add who just dropped 50 the other night. Kid was in the G-league not too long ago lol.  I'm happy that, at the very least, he's taken me this far.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, DonutGiveUp said:

Dude...is the first player in NBA history to score 50 points with 10 assists in a game. 

I’m very surprised LBJ, Harden, or Curry or somebody have not accomplished this. 

Didn’t Harden has like a 50points triple dubs before? 

Crazy stat indeed. I’m blown away. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ginocan said:

I’m very surprised LBJ, Harden, or Curry or somebody have not accomplished this. 

Didn’t Harden has like a 50points triple dubs before? 

Crazy stat indeed. I’m blown away. 

I didnt check but i think he is the youngest, but not the first. It was a typo.

That said, sometimes the rockets seem disoriented out there. Hopefully the offseason irons out all these mistakes and makes KPJ, Tate, and Wood even better. Hope Olynk comes back too, though they may not pay for him.

• Like 1

While he wasn't on fire last night he can't be blamed for the whooping, his team was horrible.  He was setting them up for open shots and they tossed up brick after brick after brick, and after being up like 10 GS went on like a 23-0 run.  And it didn't seem like there was any playcalling and KPJ was just winging it until coach finally set up some PnRs, and what do you know, they let to a couple consecutive easy baskets.