NBC Sports Edge Forums

Need help deciding keepers (WHIR)

Hey all! Happy almost new year! I’m in a keeper league and in need of some help choosing my 7 keepers. 

Yahoo 10 team, h2h, 6x5 including ops, keep 7 forever, keeper value tied to the round a player was drafted, noted below in parenthesis.

I also have a trade lined up if I want it. I’d send him my Scherzer for his Albies. If you don’t suggest keeping Scherzer or Albies, I could trade Scherzer to him for a high draft pick. Which 7 do I keep? Thanks!!

Trout (1)

Yelich (2)

Mondesi (3)

Giolito (4)

Scherzer (6)

Arenado (13)

Albies (14)

Tucker (22)

Acuña (24)

I suppose I’m essentially choosing between Scherzer and Giolito for one of my keepers. Then let’s assume I trade one of the pitchers for Albies. Now I’m forced to pick 6 from my 7 bats.

Trout, Yelich, Acuña, Arenado are locks.

Now I have to pick 2 more. Eliminating one of Mondesi, Albies or Tucker is tough.

Mondesi is probably the most dynamic of the three but has such a crappy keeper value (round 3) vs Albies (round 14) and Tucker (round 22). That’s why I’m stuck.

1 hour ago, charlesmvaron said:

I suppose I’m essentially choosing between Scherzer and Giolito for one of my keepers. Then let’s assume I trade one of the pitchers for Albies. Now I’m forced to pick 6 from my 7 bats.

Trout, Yelich, Acuña, Arenado are locks.

Now I have to pick 2 more. Eliminating one of Mondesi, Albies or Tucker is tough.

Mondesi is probably the most dynamic of the three but has such a crappy keeper value (round 3) vs Albies (round 14) and Tucker (round 22). That’s why I’m stuck.

In that case go with the comment on my post and keep Albies over Scherzer.  You can get Scherzer back I bet

9 minutes ago, apap414 said:

In that case go with the comment on my post and keep Albies over Scherzer.  You can get Scherzer back I bet

I’d have to trade someone to acquire Albies. 

The owner who has Albies said he’d trade me Albies for Scherzer. So if I get him, it’s at the expense of Scherzer. 

26 minutes ago, charlesmvaron said:

I’d have to trade someone to acquire Albies. 

The owner who has Albies said he’d trade me Albies for Scherzer. So if I get him, it’s at the expense of Scherzer. 

Gotcha I didn't see that last sentence!

12 minutes ago, Shamrocks said:

i dont know if i see mondesi in the same league as albies and keeping at round 3 over tucker (22) doesnt make much sense for me either

i trade scherzer for ozzie and keep 

Trout, Yelich, Giolito, Albies, Arenado, Tucker, Acuna

Trout, Yelich, Acuna, Arenado are locks. Let's say I go with Giolito. That leaves Mondesi (3), Albies (14), and Tucker (22) for two of my remaining keepers.

I see Mondesi's elite base stealing as tremendous value. However, if he does what he's supposed to I've drafted him exactly where he should go. But if you look at Albies (14) and Tucker (22), that is crazy value for what they should produce relative to their round being kept.

I've also kind of mapped out the first three rounds of the draft, and if I toss Mondesi back and now have a third round pick, I might be able to draft him again. I would have the first pick in round three. Mapping out the first two rounds, I potentially see four picks before I would pick at 3.1. Two picks each for two owners. They may both go bpa, but one owner has Lindor and the other has Story so they may not pick a ss, unless they go bpa.

On 12/31/2020 at 6:24 AM, Shamrocks said:

i stand by 

Trout, Yelich, Giolito, Albies, Arenado, Tucker, Acuna

I stand by this also.  Not even a close decision for me.  2 studs at the top and great value with the rest.  Not the biggest Arenado fan anymore, however round 14 is way too much value to pass up.  Sure Mondesi gets the SB, but his AVG and OBP kills you, so you go negative in 2 stats to gain 1.  I would think you could redraft him in round 3 if you really wanted him back

23 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

I stand by this also.  Not even a close decision for me.  2 studs at the top and great value with the rest.  Not the biggest Arenado fan anymore, however round 14 is way too much value to pass up.  Sure Mondesi gets the SB, but his AVG and OBP kills you, so you go negative in 2 stats to gain 1.  I would think you could redraft him in round 3 if you really wanted him back

While I agree with your conclusion of throwing back Mondesi, I respectfully disagree with your valuation of him. 

A website I trust that has produced a tremendous amount of success for many had this to say about Mondesi in their post draft write-up (see them quoted below). Lol I omit their name because I’m not sure if my leaguemates  may read this post and I don’t want them to know where I get my rankings and daily fantasy information lol. 

The reason why I agree with you, and several others in this thread, is round value associated with Mondesi. If it was keep 7, and then everyone starts their draft in round 8, my 7 keepers may be different. But the insane value I have with Giolito (4), Arenado (13), Albies (14), Tucker (22) and Acuña (24) makes it extremely difficult to not keep them. And then of course Trout (1) and Yelich (2) have to be kept. Mondesi (3) isn’t an awful choice, but relative to the other 7 I previously listed he likely isn’t the wise choice.

The thing with him is if there’s another four months of a season, is he more August or September? If he’s more September, he could be the top shortstop and player overall. If he’s more August, he’d fall out of this top 20 shortstops, and top 200 overall. The balancing act with him is his downside is way too scary to ignore, while also accepting he does have huge upside. Look at the player rater for him, he had $25.4 worth of value in steals alone. That was by far the highest value for any one category for any player. Next closest was Brad Hand with $18.6 in saves, then Jose Abreu recording $16.8 in RBIs. Think about how awful Mondesi would have to be in four other categories to not be worth owning with $25.4 in steals. That essentially means if you pay $25 for Mondesi in auctions (2nd round value), all he has to give is $1 in other categories to be a good value. Instead, he gave $5 in other categories and was great value.”

1 hour ago, theschmidter said:

Mondesi is the easy drop here.  Keep Gio and the 6 hitters.  Tough to only have 1 pitcher though, maybe look to trade one of these hitters for a pitcher?

Thanks! I truly appreciate your opinion and want to hear what you think. Please keep sharing with me.

However, with the league settings being 6x5 including ops, I’ve found building your team with an emphasis on offense tends to help more than if you focused on pitching. More specifically, a balance of 6 hitters and 1 pitcher has worked for me over the last 8 years in this league. 

With that said, which of my bats would you flip for a pitcher? And what type of pitcher would you seek back? For me, if I were going to do it, maybe I’d move Arenado? He has great value in round 13, 3rd base is deep so I should be able to find a suitable replacement (I’m tossing back Chapman and Moncada, both at round 6 keeper value, and Arenado is starting to develop chronic shoulder problems.