NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jacob deGrom 2021 Outlook

MonsterMan

Yeah here is Rotoworld now Edge Blurb Guy (he will always be Rotoworld Blurb Guy to me though):

Jacob deGrom felt tightness in his right forearm and has stopped throwing. 

Mets manager Luis Rojas told reporters that he felt the tightness doing side work. The good news here is that the right-hander has undergone an MRI, and it revealed no structural damage. The bad news is that the best prospect in baseball is feeling forearm tightness, and it's not known when he's going to be able to make his next start. There should be more on deGrom's status very soon, but for now, fantasy managers need to hold their breath. 

Source: Steve Gelbs on Twitter              Jul 17, 2021, 5:57 PM ET

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Just a little tightness, what’s the harm?  See you on Monday!

- Mets, probably 

Shoot some WD-40 on that baby and get back out there! Works on everything

Better yet, some of that magic soccer spray that heals everything. 

Edited by mavsfan23

Healey reporting that deGrom today said out of all the ailments he had this year, this one was NOT a result of batting & why he won't throw again till the inflammation in his arm subsides.

Yep......................................

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Shoot some WD-40 on that baby and get back out there! Works on everything

Better yet, some of that magic soccer spray that heals everything. 

Mo tussin | The cure, Tussin, Spoofs

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mks said:

Well there goes his CY chances no way they can give it to him has little has he pitched this season. Middle Relief guys  will have more innings then he does. I think CY goes to Woodruff this yr

If the Mets weren't incompetent as f---, they would have rested him when he was showing all these small problems.  Now he's developed a more serious problem (a precursor to tommy john btw, no surprise with him pitching 100 MPH!).  Surprise, surprise.  NEVER DRAFT METS PITCHERS.  A track record of malpractice.  They messed up syndergaard, degrom, drafted Rocker (lmao), and practically all their pitchers get TJ.  Clown organization when it comes to medical staff

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:15 PM, mks said:

Well there goes his CY chances no way they can give it to him has little has he pitched this season. Middle Relief guys  will have more innings then he does. I think CY goes to Woodruff this yr

I'd argue Buehler, not Woodruff.  It's crazy to think deGrom is STILL the number one ranked fantasy pitcher this year even with having thrown only 92 innings.  Those 92 innings he pitched this year were absurdly great that he'd likely finish as a top 5 SP even if he doesn't throw another pitch this year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'd argue Buehler, not Woodruff.  It's crazy to think deGrom is STILL the number one ranked fantasy pitcher this year even with having thrown only 92 innings.  Those 92 innings he pitched this year were absurdly great that he'd likely finish as a top 5 SP even if he doesn't throw another pitch this year.

If you drafted deGrom, hopefully those innings helped get you into a contending position thus far. Here's hoping he comes back strong to help us make a final push in September. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Shut down again.  Just give him Tommy John at this point.  If he miraculously avoids it before next season there is zero chance I'm taking him in the first two rounds

The crazy thing is that even if deGrom doesn't throw another inning this year (which unfortunately I have to agree seems likely), the 92 innings he threw were so absurdly good that he won't go really down as a bust this year,.  deGrom is STILL the number one ranked pitcher so far this year.  He won't end as number one (Buehler will almost certainly pass him), but he'll very likely still end up as top 5 and maybe even as high as top 2.

Yes, it's disappointing that deGrom couldn't pitch more innings and continue his historic season, but any Shane Bieber, Gerrit Cole (granted it would have been a totally different scenario for Cole if he had been able to keep using Spider Tack), Yu Darvish, Trevor Bauer, Aaron Nola, and Lucas Giolito owners would have loved to have gotten this production from their first or second round pitcher.  Among all pitchers who had an ADP in the second round, deGrom's production in only 92 innings was vastly superior to all of them except for Buehler.

It pains me to say, but I do also have to agree that if deGrom miraculously avoids Tommy John this year, I'm avoiding next year.

• Like 2

His MRI showed no ligament damage, so Tommy John isn't part of the discussion at this point.

For long-term purposes, I'd rather he just didn't pitch again this season. The Mets trying to rush him back out there to save their playoff hopes seems like inevitable disaster.

3 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

His MRI showed no ligament damage, so Tommy John isn't part of the discussion at this point.

Until someone completely unrelated to the Mets performs and analyzes an MRI on his arm, that is totally meaningless information.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Until someone completely unrelated to the Mets performs and analyzes an MRI on his arm, that is totally meaningless information.

Jacob deGrom went to LA to get a second opinion from Dr. Neal ElAttrache, one of the top elbow/sports surgeons in the country. His right elbow inflammation has improved, Rojas said. But not improved enough.

Tim Healy via Twitter

Rojas said deGrom’s MRI showed “slight improvement,” but not enough to allow him to begin throwing again, as had initially been the hope. Whether or not he pitches again this season will largely depend on his next MRI in two weeks. Even if he is cleared then, he would still need a ramp-up period that could take him well into September.               

NY Post

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

For long-term purposes, I'd rather he just didn't pitch again this season. The Mets trying to rush him back out there to save their playoff hopes seems like inevitable disaster.

🙄 

Everything he’s experienced, and hell elbow and arm injuries in general, are precursors to Tommy John.  and he throws 100 MPH.  And he’s going to see the TJ doctor soon, forget his name.   Now even if he truly does not show any ligament damage (and I don’t trust the Mets doctors tbh to interpret  a ligament reading machine. See: syndergaard), I would be shocked if he ends up avoiding it.  

Something has to be causing the 7 injuries. Something is wrong with his body.  It’s not 7 coincidences.  It’s his mechanics, some underlying problem, or both 

• Like 1