NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jacob deGrom 2021 Outlook

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My #1 pitcher going into 2019   My #1 pitcher going into 2020   My #1 pitching going into 2021    

Jacob deGrom Win Checklist: X - Shutout the opponent X - Drive in an RBI _ - Pitch the whole game Ooooh, sorry, try again in 5-6 days.

Fair enough - As a Mets fan, I totally understand the "something about the Mets" angle.

deGrom does not have the typical 33 year old pitcher mileage on his arm, and while he has elite stuff, he is also a genius on the mound. He could lose 5 MPH off his fastball and still be a top 20 pitcher based on command and sequencing. I don't see him slowing down any time within the next 3-5 years. Also worth noting his contract is not super long term either so after 3 years he will likely be playing for his last contract.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, Sidearmer said:

deGrom does not have the typical 33 year old pitcher mileage on his arm, and while he has elite stuff, he is also a genius on the mound. He could lose 5 MPH off his fastball and still be a top 20 pitcher based on command and sequencing. I don't see him slowing down any time within the next 3-5 years. Also worth noting his contract is not super long term either so after 3 years he will likely be playing for his last contract.

Agreed, Degrom is a different beast!

On 2/16/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ecofolux said:

I think if it's 2022 and the Mets offered deGrom for M Gore, the Padres say no.

This is the second worst take I've seen on ROTOWORLD/NBC SPORTS EDGE. I couldn't give you #1` because there was a guy who posted a ton in 2019-2020 NBA season about how Lebron James has ruined every franchise he has played for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 2/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, Sidearmer said:

I'd say he's either opting out in '22 or signs a 5 year extension. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2021 at 6:21 AM, CrypTviLL said:

For redrafts, he HAS to be the #1 pitcher. 

It's going to be a very weird year for SPs, but DeGrom feels strangely so safe. In many types of leagues he's honestly up there for the #1 overall pick for owners who need an ace they can rely on in a year where there isn't many SPs that can be relied on. 

There's always injury risk with any pitcher, but to me deGrom and Cole feel about as safe as it can get.  I feel there's a pretty significant drop-off at pitcher after deGrom and Cole.  After those two, I have some red flags about everyone, either in terms of age/health (Scherzer, Kershaw), workload (Buehler), or overinflated ADPs for pitchers (Bieber, Bauer, Darvish) who pitched exclusively against the two Central divisions last year facing terrible offenses.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I own zero shares of DeGrom but I heard a crazy stat on the Radio just now I want to share.

Jacob DeGroms ERA since 2018 is 2.07- probably is the best in baseball IMO. The Mets bullpen during that span? 6.16!! To make matters worse, DeGrom has left with the 5th inning lead, only to have the bullpen blow the lead 31 times. That’s potentially 31 wins he should have during his career. Wow

Jacob deGrom Win Checklist:

X - Shutout the opponent

X - Drive in an RBI

_ - Pitch the whole game

Ooooh, sorry, try again in 5-6 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A little off topic in regards to fantasy, but what is his shot for the hall? May not reach 3000 k's, but surely will get 2,000-2,500 k's. For me if he gets one more Cy young and reaches 2000 k's, he should make it.

4 hours ago, Picard56 said:

A little off topic in regards to fantasy, but what is his shot for the hall? May not reach 3000 k's, but surely will get 2,000-2,500 k's. For me if he gets one more Cy young and reaches 2000 k's, he should make it.

The bar has to be drasticially lowered if deGroms numbers get him into the HOF.  There is not enough there yet.  He has had 4 dominate seasons but thats not enough for HOF. Kluber had 5 pretty dominating seasons also then got hurt..  Lets see what things look like in 5 yrs with him then we can have a better picture.

Edited by mks

Well another postponed game for our guy. Could be a blessing in disguise for those of us that have complete games for our scoring system. Let's get one of those BS 7 inning CGs!

It has been frustrating only seeing him pitch two games so far. He looks as dominant as ever though. 

On 4/11/2021 at 10:58 PM, Picard56 said:

I don't care what the numbers say.  He is a HOF pitcher.  I hope the writers ignore any numbers that might say otherwise.  As long as he maintains some level of being a really good pitcher for 5 more years he should get in.

1 minute ago, B&F said:

I don't care what the numbers say.  He is a HOF pitcher.  I hope the writers ignore any numbers that might say otherwise.  As long as he maintains some level of being a really good pitcher for 5 more years he should get in.

That's awesome and all, but my point is that the writers that vote in these guys have some arbitrary numbers they like to see players reach for them to consider for the Hall. For me too he is a HOF. 

9 hours ago, B&F said:

Don't worry.  He will get in.  The attitude of the old guard changed during King Felix's reign where he never got run support.  He even won the Cy Young one year didn't he?  These days it is all about QS over Wins anyway.