NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jacob deGrom 2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Don't worry.  He will get in.  The attitude of the old guard changed during King Felix's reign where he never got run support.  He even won the Cy Young one year didn't he?  These days it is all about QS over Wins anyway.

At this rate Price is going to overtake the field in both wins and saves, and make the conversation moot.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The second doctor showing the Mets doctor how to read an MRI

My #1 pitcher going into 2019   My #1 pitcher going into 2020   My #1 pitching going into 2021    

June 17, 2021 DeGrom is scheduled to undergo an MRI on his sore right shoulder Thursday, but he said after exiting his start in Wednesday's 6-3 win over the Cubs that he's "confident that this is

Posted Images

On 4/11/2021 at 10:58 PM, Picard56 said:

A little off topic in regards to fantasy, but what is his shot for the hall? May not reach 3000 k's, but surely will get 2,000-2,500 k's. For me if he gets one more Cy young and reaches 2000 k's, he should make it.

I think he makes the hall, he’s like a better version of nfl’s Terrell Davis (without a ring though yet) and kinda like Sandy Koufax.

He’s got a 2.585 career era. Why on earth would we try and gate keep one of the clear best pitchers of this era from the hall? Pitchers don’t pitch the same innings so historical benchmarks like wins and Ks have to change with time imo...

Edited by fawkes_mulder

He's one of only twenty one pitchers with multiple Cy Youngs; seems like that stat should be factored into his HoF odds. Additionally, if he gets a third, which he was in the running for last year, it's malpractice to keep him out imo.

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

He's one of only twenty one pitchers with multiple Cy Youngs; seems like that stat should be factored into his HoF odds. Additionally, if he gets a third, which he was in the running for last year, it's malpractice to keep him out imo.

He will be in on a first ballot landslide for sure.

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

So is Kuber in then too?

22 minutes ago, mks said:

So is Kuber in then too?

I think if you're unwilling to seriously consider deGrom and Kluber, then you have to question how many current pitchers will actually make the Hall. Are we going to have classes moving forward with one pitcher to every four or five hitters? These guys were both the best pitchers in their respective leagues for multiple years; Kluber's case might've been rock solid if it wasn't for a 2016 rain storm. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I think if you're unwilling to seriously consider deGrom and Kluber, then you have to question how many current pitchers will actually make the Hall. Are we going to have classes moving forward with one pitcher to every four or five hitters? These guys were both the best pitchers in their respective leagues for multiple years; Kluber's case might've been rock solid if it wasn't for a 2016 rain storm. 

They don;t even have enough years in yet got to pitch 10 yrs to even be eligiable. Current pitchers for HOF right now Max, Kershaw and Verlander. deGrom Kluber Cole still got more work to do but they are on their way. 

2 minutes ago, mks said:

They don;t even have enough years in yet got to pitch 10 yrs to even be eligiable. Current pitchers for HOF right now Max, Kershaw and Verlander. deGrom Kluber Cole still got more work to do but they are on their way. 

And if Grienke keeps accumulating numbers he will have a legit case too

6 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

deGrom was a Daniel Bard blown save away from going a complete game allowing 0 ER and striking out 14 at Coors Field and coming away with a loss.  That would have been so typical of the Mets.

He would've had a sub .50 ERA over three games where the Mets would've been 0-3!

• Like 1

Jacob deGrom tossed his second career shutout while striking out a career-high 15 batters in a 6-0 victory over the Nationals on Friday.

Oh, and if that wasn't good enough, he also went 2-for-4 with an RBI double and two runs scored. What else can you really say at this point? DeGrom retired the final 19 batters he faced after a two-out double from Andrew Stevenson in the third inning and didn't walk a batter on the evening. He also made history, becoming the first ever pitcher to strike out 50 batters over his first four starts in a season. He's just the third pitcher ever to strike out at least 14 batters in three straight starts, joining Pedro Martinez (1999) and Gerrit Cole (2019). DeGrom also passed Tom Seaver, at least for now, for the best cumulative ERA in team history. As for this season, deGrom has allowed just one earned run in 29 innings, resulting in a video game-like 0.31 ERA and 50/3 K/BB ratio. He's unbelievable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Beyond incredible what this guy is doing/has done - just WOW!  What a performance tonight!

I guess it comes to preferences, but to me, deGrom and Cole are the top two overall fantasy players this year.  I just think the dropoff in pitching after deGrom and Cole is a lot more steep than the dropoff in hitters.

Obviously deGrom won't maintain a 0.31 ERA all year, but I didn't understand all those projections sites predicting around a 2.80 ERA and 1.05 WHIP for him

https://www.rotochamp.com/baseball/Player.aspx?MLBAMID=594798

Sure, for an average pitcher, those would be pretty good but for deGrom, those numbers would be a gigantic dropoff from what he's down the past 3 years.

• Like 1

Did he cut his hair at the beginning of last year? I think I've pinpointed what has been the difference maker in his performance these past 2 seasons. Losing that extra hair weight has given him the extra zip on his FB that has turned him from a mere deity to a God.

This brings me no joy to say as a Mets fan but I respect the guy so much for what he does and how he carries himself that I almost want to see him go elsewhere when his option comes up. The rest of the teams effort when he starts is beginning to seriously offend me. I can only imagine how he feels. If this were dating deGrom is an absolute no doubt 10 and his team is a 4. He deserves and could do a lot better.

• Like 1