NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jacob deGrom 2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

Of course morosi followed that up with saying maybe a minumum IL stint. I don’t know, leaning towards benching in my weekly. It’s the Mets, either they’ll send him out to start all 5 games this week or just keep pushing his start back until June 

I mean, it IS the Mets, so he probably is dying from dysentery he contracted from the MRI machine.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The second doctor showing the Mets doctor how to read an MRI

My #1 pitcher going into 2019   My #1 pitcher going into 2020   My #1 pitching going into 2021    

June 17, 2021 DeGrom is scheduled to undergo an MRI on his sore right shoulder Thursday, but he said after exiting his start in Wednesday's 6-3 win over the Cubs that he's "confident that this is

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, checkers said:

Any news on this injury prone?  Anyone dares to start him in a weekly league?

He threw from long distance the other day

Is throwing a bullpen session on Tuesday

Potentially may start on Friday but that's up in the air.

Net/Net:  If the bullpen session goes well w/o issue the Mets training staff has to decide if bringing him back on Friday is the best decision or holding him back a few days.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

What a thrill for these kids that faced him.  Most will not come close to the MLB.

3 hours ago, rotoguy74 said:

No limitations tonight?

I mean he should have 15 k's or more vs that Rockies lineup

Rockies lineup is fully healthy right now, They've won 4 in a row. The Mets team behind him is a joke right now. I wouldn't have high expectations. Plus the Mets will probably baby him with a 75 pitch count or something. 

4 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

Rockies lineup is fully healthy right now, They've won 4 in a row. The Mets team behind him is a joke right now. I wouldn't have high expectations. Plus the Mets will probably baby him with a 75 pitch count or something. 

Why would anyone ever NOT have high expectations whenever deGrom starts?  You could put a AAA team behind him, deGrom would still be great.

Look, given their relative injury risks, I admit I would take Cole over him right now, but deGrom is still as elite as it gets whenever he pitches.  If I knew for sure he'd stay healthy the rest of the year, I'd take deGrom over everyone else, including Cole.

17 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Not fantasy relevant, but Degrom is currently around -150 to win the Cy Young. How's this not happen, assuming he has 170+ Innings?

Those odds essentially reflect the bookmakers' opinions as to the chance of Degrom sustaining a serious injury. 

• Thanks 1

It's getting a little ridiculous how good this guy is.  Still hasn't allowed more than one earned run in any start.  deGrom's worst ERA in any start this year is 1.80 and his worst WHIP in any start this year is 0.83.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Is 80 pitches the new norm?

They’re likely being very cautious building him back up. The Mets are legitimate contenders this year, and absolutely need him for the long haul. 

• Like 1
On 4/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, JE7HorseGod said:

It's getting to the point where when he gives up hits and walks it's almost shocking.

Jacob deGrom has now driven in 5 runs and only given up 4 earned runs all season.  I'm starting to think this deGrom guy might not be half bad at baseball.

I can't say I was expecting an 0.56 ERA and a 0.53 WHIP, but I said it before and I'll say it again, I simply didn't understand all those "expert" projections sites predicting around a 2.80 ERA and 1.05 WHIP for him

https://www.rotochamp.com/baseball/Player.aspx?MLBAMID=594798

Sure, for an average pitcher, those would be pretty good numbers but for deGrom, those numbers would have been by far his worst year in recent memory.  I think those predicted numbers were worse than deGrom's absolute worst-case floor even. (I couldn't really see any real possibility where a healthy deGrom would have been worse than 2.50 ERA and 1.00 WHIP and that would have qualified as a highly disappointing year for deGrom's standards.)  The only worry at all for deGrom owners is his health.

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Taking bets on who’s out longer, Max or Jake…

(-120) either guy you want, I know that’s a little steep,  but nobody is holding a gun to your head 😁

They’re the better half of my once awesome rotation.    I may hold the gun myself.