NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very SSS, but had a breakout of sorts in 2020. I’m sure he’ll have to cede some 1B starts to Pujols, but if he can remotely keep it up in 2021, they’ll find a way to get him 500 ABs.  Pitcher Lis

Ok. Now he does. And now what? Can I breathe now?

Dude was perfect at the plate yesterday. 4-4, 2 hr, 3 rbis and a walk. He hasn’t cooled down much. Is this guy transforming into one of the better hitters? I am getting adrian gonzalez vibes now

Hard pass because I don't see the value.

His ADP is #179 so you're taking him as a CI or UTIL.  Who else can you get at that pick?  Bell and Walker are literally the two picks ahead of him, two guys who have already done what we hope Walsh might do.  Looks like he'll likely K 25%+ and BB around 5% so... what are we looking at in terms of projections?  .260/.315 - 25 - 80 - 80?  Not seeing the value at that pick when you can take Donaldson 6 picks later or Hoskins 11 picks before.

3 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Hard pass because I don't see the value.

His ADP is #179 so you're taking him as a CI or UTIL.  Who else can you get at that pick?  Bell and Walker are literally the two picks ahead of him, two guys who have already done what we hope Walsh might do.  Looks like he'll likely K 25%+ and BB around 5% so... what are we looking at in terms of projections?  .260/.315 - 25 - 80 - 80?  Not seeing the value at that pick when you can take Donaldson 6 picks later or Hoskins 11 picks before.

Ok...but not every league is going to be picking Bell and Walker two picks ahead of Walsh, or Donaldson six picks later or Hoskins 11 picks before. That isn’t universal. Maybe he’s a pass for you in a redraft, but what about keeper leagues?

What do you think of him as a player and his potential playing time? 

If the PL article is onto something and his swing change sticks, he could be a guy who may provide upwards of 30-35 HR with enough ABs. But that will be the other big question...how often will he have to let Pujols play 1B and will they DH him when that happens? 

23 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Ok...but not every league is going to be picking Bell and Walker two picks ahead of Walsh, or Donaldson six picks later or Hoskins 11 picks before. That isn’t universal. Maybe he’s a pass for you in a redraft, but what about keeper leagues?

If the PL article is onto something and his swing change sticks, he could be a guy who may provide upwards of 30-35 HR with enough ABs. But that will be the other big question...how often will he have to let Pujols play 1B and will they DH him when that happens? 

I am not concerned with his playing time. Pujols only has one more year left on the contract, I don't think they will be forced as much to play him as in prior years. Also factor in Ohtani looks like he will give it another try pitching so there will be openings at the DH slot if that happens. Also not sure how feasible this is, but he did log some innings in the OF last year (only 16) but that is another option. For what its worth, Fangraphs has him as the starting RF and batting 2nd in the lineup. Not sure I believe that yet, but I do think Angels will get Walsh ABs to see what he has.

• Like 1
On 1/1/2021 at 4:12 PM, Flyman75 said:

The point I was making is that---generally speaking---there are better options at this point in the draft.  Keeper leagues I feel the same; Walsh is 27 while Walker is 29 and Bell is 28.  Playing time I agree with @Sidearmer although Roster Resource has him in the strong side platoon with Ward and Pujols at first.  I think Walsh is far more exciting than those two so should see 500 ABs as the Angels have to make a run soon.  As a player I don't really have a strong opinion; I was just looking at the situation from a fantasy baseball value perspective.

No disrespect to the guy or anyone who wants him.  I'm just saying as a fantasy manager I'll fade him for the reasons I already stated.

On 1/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, Sidearmer said:

I am not concerned with his playing time. Pujols only has one more year left on the contract, I don't think they will be forced as much to play him as in prior years. Also factor in Ohtani looks like he will give it another try pitching so there will be openings at the DH slot if that happens. Also not sure how feasible this is, but he did log some innings in the OF last year (only 16) but that is another option. For what its worth, Fangraphs has him as the starting RF and batting 2nd in the lineup. Not sure I believe that yet, but I do think Angels will get Walsh ABs to see what he has.

All you can ask for a chance to be a starter and he earned that last year.  He's not coming out of the lineup and unless they sign another OF he could very easily make up 150 ABs are so in OF. His competition for strong side there is Scott Schebler..

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Jared Walsh was a nice surprise last year.   If those changes are sustainable he should get more playing time at 1B.

Albert Pujols is about to turn 40 this month and he was pretty bad last year.   He's had a great career.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Do we get 400 ABs out of this guy with the Pujols pity parade.

I was hoping he and Pujols would platoon, so it was pretty discouraging to see Pujols start even against a RHP last night, especially when the White Sox have a LHP tonight (Keuchel).  Also unfortunately, Maddon has come out and said that he's going to let Ohtani serve as DH the day before and after he pitches depending on how he feels, unlike what Mike Scioscia did.

I think Walsh gets to 300 ABs barring injury, but not quite 400 this year.

I don't understand why the Angels have so much loyalty towards Pujols.  It's not like a Derek Jeter situation in 2014 where the Yankees kept him as a near everyday player even though he was by that time a well below-average baseball player out of loyalty and appreciation for everything Jeter did for the Yanks.  Pujols had an amazing career with the Cardinals, but he's been pretty much an overpaid bum his entire tenure with the Angels (his first year with the Angels was the only one even close to All-Star caliber and even that year was worse than any season he had with the Cardinals)

Edited by FootballFan101
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

I was hoping he and Pujols would platoon, so it was pretty discouraging to see Pujols start even against a RHP last night, especially when the White Sox have a LHP tonight (Keuchel).  Also unfortunately, Maddon has come out and said that he's going to let Ohtani serve as DH the day before and after he pitches depending on how he feels, unlike what Mike Scioscia did.

I think Walsh gets to 300 ABs barring injury, but not quite 400 this year.

I don't understand why the Angels have so much loyalty towards Pujols.  It's not like a Derek Jeter situation in 2014 where the Yankees kept him as a near everyday player even though he was by that time a well below-average baseball player out of loyalty and appreciation for everything Jeter did for the Yanks.  Pujols had an amazing career with the Cardinals, but he's been pretty much an overpaid bum his entire tenure with the Angels (his first year with the Angels was the only one even close to All-Star caliber and even that year was worse than any season he had with the Cardinals)

Talk was that Walsh was supposed to be mainly in RF this season with some 1b when Pujols sits, but for some reason it was Dexter Fowler out there, when Pujols was playing too. Maybe it's just opening day, and veterans got the start.
I would not expect this to happen that often.

19 minutes ago, JCD said:

Talk was that Walsh was supposed to be mainly in RF this season with some 1b when Pujols sits, but for some reason it was Dexter Fowler out there, when Pujols was playing too. Maybe it's just opening day, and veterans got the start.

I think I heard yesterday was Pujols's 21st consecutive Opening Day start - hopefully that is all that was.  

19 minutes ago, JCD said:

Don't hold your breath. . Both Fowler and Pujols are going to get about 10x more leash than they deserve.  Hopefully Maddon realizes the bs leadership/experience only counts for so much. 

As it stands Walsh is only going to play against some righties, when Shohei sits and when Albert needs days off.  Maybe that's more than we think (4/6?).  Maybe if he gets hot it keep Alberts on the bench until Walsh cools.

But Walsh ain't playing RF.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Out again tonight.

Pujols gets the ceremonious Opening Day start, then the start against the lefty? Frustrating, but ok.

Wonder how many games Maddon is willing to punt with below replacement level Albert in the lineup.

9 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Pujols gets the ceremonious Opening Day start, then the start against the lefty? Frustrating, but ok.

Wonder how many games Maddon is willing to punt with below replacement level Albert in the lineup.

Since Fat Albert hit a home run last night, I wonder if that mean he's back in there again tonight even against a RHP instead of Walsh.  Ohtani is pitching on Sunday, so I assume Walsh will finally be in the lineup Sunday.

16 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

He may be playing himself into an everyday role. How can you sit him after that?

Where shortstop?

1B and DH is all there is.....Pujols, Ohtani....

Platoon I guess unless Pujols is hurt

36 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

Where shortstop?

1B and DH is all there is.....Pujols, Ohtani....

Platoon I guess unless Pujols is hurt

he also played a couple of games in RF last year

On 4/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, 89Topps said:

Even though Pujols's WAR total over the past four seasons is in the negative, Maddon will continue to trot Albert's corpse out there on a regular basis even though it is going to cost the Angels wins.  

I guarantee it.  

Edited by Overlord