NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dinelson Lamet 2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

You're equally guilty of ignoring the downside arguments being made. I even said I was more focused on the negative-I get the upside case, but its painting yourself into a corner that you must hold him no matter what happens. That's attaching more value to a player because he is on your roster, which is a bit of a cardinal sin in fantasy.

Forgot who you could have dropped him for, that's immaterial to whether he can be better than who is on your wire or available in trades in your league. The notion that he's not replaceable in less than an 8-teamer is absurd, even in 12 team leagues there are still some safer, less sexy options, ones that can project more reliably than Lamet. I'd not sure I'd roster him over Javier, Luzardo, guys who are now in the 'pen but are healthier and getting dropped in 12 team leagues, but its close. I saw Adbert Azolay get dropped over night in a 12-teamer after his blister IL, I'd jump at the chance to swap him for Lamet (despite some similar innings limit questions); I've seen impatient owners drop Maeda, Plesac in recent weeks. Again, this is very team, league and standings dependent. 

After last night's start, there's reason to be encouraged, but the questions that were there still remain. He's kind of entering Adalberto Mondesi territory for me as a fantasy asset-very polarizing because he does offer rare upside, but he ends up bogging down your roster for long stretches of time due to injury. Even when he's going good you're concerned the other shoe will drop. He's trending in the right direction, but running out of gas at this stage in his pitch count won't cut it. Part of your upside appeal is the Ks, and that requires regularly throwing 90+ pitches and finishing strong. If he keeps tailing off, they'll just proactively yank him at 4-5 innings and 80 pitches every time. 

You’d pick Alzolay over Lamet right now? 

And Plesac? This is some crazy trolling.

Can’t imagine any decent fantasy player picking any of the names you mentioned over Lamet right now.

Plus you continue to ignore that his workload/velocity continues to increase at a good rate.

Edited by The Waker

With Weathers being sent down to pitch more in AAA and get stretched out for more innings, I wonder if we're going to see them push Lamet a little further his next start. 

On 6/9/2021 at 2:36 PM, The Waker said:

You’d pick Alzolay over Lamet right now? 

And Plesac? This is some crazy trolling.

Can’t imagine any decent fantasy player picking any of the names you mentioned over Lamet right now.

Plus you continue to ignore that his workload/velocity continues to increase at a good rate.

Can’t imagine any decent fantasy player dismissing what Alzolay has done, especially after those first two starts and prior to his blister start. He’s been good, and I would have taken him 10/10 times so far this season. In fact, I’d probably take Alzolay over Lamet ROS because of the health concerns surrounding Lamet. Workload and velo increases are good, but the risk is very real. I highly doubt he’ll be anything near the pitcher this year that he was last year. If I’m wrong, I’ll happily eat crow because I’ve been a Lamet fan for a long time. And I fancy myself a decent fantasy owner...doing quite well in all four of my leagues. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Smallball said:

Classic Mevins!!! 

Call balls and strikes fair. Go back and read the thread. Did he end up being a good hold ? Or  would it have been good to cut bait when I said so. 

Just own it - people get personal and attack the person when they can’t attack the argument. 

15 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Call balls and strikes fair. Go back and read the thread. Did he end up being a good hold ? Or  would it have been good to cut bait when I said so. 

Just own it - people get personal and attack the person when they can’t attack the argument. 

Looking back on it - terrible hold for obvious reasons.  It also doesn't mean that it was the right decision- for some teams/formats - was to hold him.  Both of those statements can be correct.  Note:  I'm not "attacking" you but certainly "attacking" your misguided opinion.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

It’s just hilarious that you’ve never owned anything since the beginning of you joining this forum and now you post this garbage?

It really is funny. 

22 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Looking back on it - terrible hold for obvious reasons.  It also doesn't mean that it was the right decision- for some teams/formats - was to hold him.  Both of those statements can be correct.  Note:  I'm not "attacking" you but certainly "attacking" your misguided opinion.

I actually thought your stance on it was very sensible. In yearly you said it was a gamble. I am a big fan of his talent when healthy. Hoping he either can avoid the surgery or has it and comes back with some good prime left. San Diego is scary to think about with him and clevinger with what they already have. I assume we never quite see that though 

2 hours ago, Smallball said:

It’s just hilarious that you’ve never owned anything since the beginning of you joining this forum and now you post this garbage?

It really is funny. 

Amen, brother.

2 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Add Weathers ASAP where he might have been dropped

The Padres will actually be forced to bring back the guy who has proven to be one of their best 3 SP's

Will they continue to limit Weathers’ innings?  He rarely was allowed to go past 5 IP last time he was up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swingbatter said:

Will they continue to limit Weathers’ innings?  He rarely was allowed to go past 5 IP last time he was up. 

yes which is what they were doing with Lamet anyways, so this makes a perfect replacement

3 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

yes which is what they were doing with Lamet anyways, so this makes a perfect replacement

Except anyone who wants to pick up Weathers will have a hard time getting wins (or QS if your league counts them) since he rarely goes past the 5th inning.   

On 6/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, swingbatter said:

Except anyone who wants to pick up Weathers will have a hard time getting wins (or QS if your league counts them) since he rarely goes past the 5th inning.   

still is irrelevent if you were starting Lamet you werent getting those anyways either