Dinelson Lamet 2021 Outlook

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Padres Doctor

in the grand scheme of everything aren’t we all kind of day to day?

I understand this question can only be answered by Lamet himself, but do you think he wasn't throwing 100% effort in the weeks leading up to this start or just ignoring the pain?

These PRP injection recoveries don't tend to end well

Edited by itaos

I feel bad for the guy - tried something experimental to come back and it obviously didn't work.  I feel worse for my fantasy team - thought I had four bona fide top end starters!

spacer.png

Edited by IlliniGuy76

I'm sure we're all assuming the worst, and the question for me is, why weren't they realistic about his injury going back to last season? They lost him and Clevinger right before the playoffs, and once eliminated Clevinger went under the knife. They clearly knew that Lamet's issue was hanging by a thread, and that he was unlikely to make it thru the year. Why delay the inevitable, and push him further behind in his rehab? They showed the same aggressiveness with Adrian Morejon, who had his TJ yesterday less than 2 weeks after his injury. Even if Lamet had made it a couple months into the season, he would have gone down at some point. It's hindsight obviously but this wasn't hard to figure out. 

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I feel bad for the guy - tried something experimental to come back and it obviously didn't work.  I feel worse for my fantasy team - thought I had four bona fide top end starters!

spacer.png

Don't jump! From a redraft perspective he was discounted enough that most teams would have drafted him as such, a #4 starter with ace upside, but I don't think it's a monumental loss really for any such team. Hurts much more for those in NL only and deeply competitive leagues, but this is why you don't draft into injuries, they will find you eventually. 

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Don't jump! From a redraft perspective he was discounted enough that most teams would have drafted him as such, a #4 starter with ace upside, but I don't think it's a monumental loss really for any such team. Hurts much more for those in NL only and deeply competitive leagues, but this is why you don't draft into injuries, they will find you eventually. 

Oh absolutely!  I was looking forward to having him on my squad as a "nice to have" elite/high end guy

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm sure we're all assuming the worst, and the question for me is, why weren't they realistic about his injury going back to last season? They lost him and Clevinger right before the playoffs, and once eliminated Clevinger went under the knife. They clearly knew that Lamet's issue was hanging by a thread, and that he was unlikely to make it thru the year. Why delay the inevitable, and push him further behind in his rehab? They showed the same aggressiveness with Adrian Morejon, who had his TJ yesterday less than 2 weeks after his injury. Even if Lamet had made it a couple months into the season, he would have gone down at some point. It's hindsight obviously but this wasn't hard to figure out. 

This is the team that is delaying what appears to be a chronic condition on their 300 million dollar man, soooo

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I don’t think it’s fair to blame the Padres for this outcome without knowing how it all played out behind the scenes. The player always has the final say in deciding something like this. Lamet has already undergone TJS once so he may have been wanting to try everything possible before going under a second time.

16 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

This is the team that is delaying what appears to be a chronic condition on their 300 million dollar man, soooo

"Hey Ma', I found the Mets' old training staff! Come quick!"

1 minute ago, cpdaly said:

Is there any hope this isn’t going to result in TJS?

He spent the entire offseason rehabbing and is done after 29 pitches with a forearm injury. I feel for the guy and applaud his giving the PRP injection a legit shot, but I’d say there’s a 0.00001% chance he’s not under the knife by week’s end. It’d be his second TJS and it will be a steep climb back. 

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to blame the Padres for this outcome without knowing how it all played out behind the scenes. The player always has the final say in deciding something like this. Lamet has already undergone TJS once so he may have been wanting to try everything possible before going under a second time.

I'm not necessarily blaming them, I think you've answered with the only good reason that this happened. I could certainly see from his perspective, with the options laid out to him, none of which were appealing, that he would go this road. I'm fine with that, just as long as it wasn't a case of San Diego pushing him to delay this surgery due to what they view as their competitive window. B/c quite honestly so many things have to go right for them to unseat the Dodgers, and Lamet pushing through this injury was one of them, that it makes you pause and wonder. 

• Like 1