Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dinelson Lamet 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

At this point not getting an MRI feels like the MLB equivalent of a three year old covering their ears during a tantrum and screaming “I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Padres Doctor

in the grand scheme of everything aren’t we all kind of day to day?

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

Now he won't get a MRI? 

I don't believe the report. No harm in imaging his very valuable arm yet again. Whether they share the results and accurately relay his prognosis depends how Metsy their staff is.

Edited by itaos
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, itaos said:

I don't believe the report. No harm in imaging his very valuable arm yet again. Whether they share the results and accurately relay his prognosis depends how Metsy their staff is.

Not getting an MRI after a pitcher leaves with forearm discomfort is complete negligence on their part.  They either A) already have MRI results and know he’s headed for surgery or b) haven’t had the MRI yet and are trying to manage/soften the blow of bad news to what I am sure is an emotional Lamet.

Either way, it’s clear the Padres have no problem lying to beat reporters and their fan base.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Are we sure Lamet doesn’t play for the Mets? This smells of malpractice Mets . 

It’s very Syndergaard’ey isn’t it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is my mind high right now? Or is it the Padres organization? 

 

"Tingler said the team is currently proceeding as though Lamet will be available in 10 days, when he is eligible to come off the injured list."

 

How? 😮

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, acunajrmvp said:

Is my mind high right now? Or is it the Padres organization? 

 

"Tingler said the team is currently proceeding as though Lamet will be available in 10 days, when he is eligible to come off the injured list."

 

How? 😮

This is the same team that is running Tatis back out there with a two-handed swing so he can't hit down and away pitches...

We'll never know the truth, but it looks like they told him to get TJ with Clev and he wanted to fight through it. They know what he needs to do, but they can't force it. He's 29. TJ means he's coming back at 31 and probably done as a starter. He probably still wants to fight through it. At this point he's coming back for the 2023 season anyway, whats another shot. 

PRP injections rarely work. If you drafted Lamet, you got played. You should have known better. 

That said, as a Padres fan, I hope that it really is just a normal TJ setback and they are being careful with him. Even then, just 10 days seems ludicrous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BradMaddox said:

“The Padres evidently are moving on pretty much as if Wednesday didn’t happen.

Dinelson Lamet went through his usual post-start routine Friday afternoon at Dodger Stadium, stretching and working in the weight room, playing catch at 120 to 150 feet, getting treatment.

“He had a positive day,” Padres manager Jayce Tingler said. “He felt good. All the things he was saying were a positive. … Arm speed was good, arm action the same, there wasn’t any change in mechanics. It was a normal day for him after a start.”

So other than the fact he will have to miss a turn in the rotation while on the 10-day injured list, the right-hander has resumed his work as usual. This, following his first start of the year, which lasted two innings due to his feeling forearm tightness. 

“This isn’t a restart or start over,” Tingler said. “This is a continuation of what we’re doing. If everything continues to progress, the next step is to throw a bullpen. Right now, we’ve got it circled in pencil. That will probably happen in the Arizona trip.”

That means Lamet could throw off a mound Tuesday or Wednesday. The earliest he can start again is May 2.”

——————-

This is pretty unreal.  Padres treating Lamet like nothing happened.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious 100% honest question,I'm asking because I don't know. 

1) what is the worst thing that can happen if there's some damage and he continues to pitch? Irreparable damage that will affect his arm permanently?

2) could forearm tightness really not just be a tight forearm from a workout or something?

3) was there anyone else in a kind of similar situation before?  I don't know why Tanaka is coming to mind,but I could be way off.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Serious 100% honest question,I'm asking because I don't know. 

1) what is the worst thing that can happen if there's some damage and he continues to pitch? Irreparable damage that will affect his arm permanently?

2) could forearm tightness really not just be a tight forearm from a workout or something?

3) was there anyone else in a kind of similar situation before?  I don't know why Tanaka is coming to mind,but I could be way off.

 

1) If his UCL is in fact damaged to the point of needing surgery then it doesn’t matter if he damages it more.  If he starts to change his mechanics to compensate though then he opens himself up to damaging other parts of his arm.  Padres are saying he seems good mechanically so they’re tossing that secondary risk out the window

2) Forearm tightness has become unanimous with UCL damage, which we know Lamet already has so far him to experience tightness really isn’t surprising to me. What the Padres are saying is “we know he has damage” and “it doesn’t seem like it got worse”...”yet”...

3) Tanaka is the “success” story on prp injections and choosing to forgo TJ surgery.  Recently Roberto Osuna took the same route and still hasn’t been signed because of it(along with being a piece of **** human being).  It seems pretty obvious to me that he will need another TJ.  The crazy part about 2nd TJ surgeries is that the ligament they use to replace the UCL is about 10 times stronger than a normal UCL, so tearing it twice is pretty hard and shows that how he throws clearly puts an insane amount of tension on the elbow.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it bizarre that anyone would draft Dinelson Lamet knowing that he opted out of having TJ, assuming the risk of ambiguity that comes with all of that, hold on to him for three weeks knowing he was rehabbing the elbow and that reinjury was a possibility if not a likelihood, and then watch him leave that first start after two innings with forearm tightness, and now that his manager says we're going to proceed and he might pitch again next Sunday drop him NOW.

Like, don't draft him, sure, I get.  Drop him immediately after he leaves the start when you hear "forearm tightness" sure.

But if you got on the train and you're still on, I'm not getting off until I heard the surgery happened.  Why would I?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I find it bizarre that anyone would draft Dinelson Lamet knowing that he opted out of having TJ, assuming the risk of ambiguity that comes with all of that, hold on to him for three weeks knowing he was rehabbing the elbow and that reinjury was a possibility if not a likelihood, and then watch him leave that first start after two innings with forearm tightness, and now that his manager says we're going to proceed and he might pitch again next Sunday drop him NOW.

Like, don't draft him, sure, I get.  Drop him immediately after he leaves the start when you hear "forearm tightness" sure.

But if you got on the train and you're still on, I'm not getting off until I heard the surgery happened.  Why would I?

Don’t forget those 2 innings he pitched were dominant and what everyone hoped for. 

Sometimes I think people make “should drop” posts with the hope that people in their league will read it and follow the advice.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Don’t forget those 2 innings he pitched were dominant and what everyone hoped for. 

Sometimes I think people make “should drop” posts with the hope that people in their league will read it and follow the advice.

 

 

LOL yeah that's the way I read it too.

"Drop him now (please)!"

Yahoo is gd brutal now with these player threads on the app.  It's basically some of the worst salesmanship and trolling I've ever seen.  Yeah dude I'm gonna drop my first rounder because he hasn't gotten a hit the past two games or has a cold.  Good call.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't drew smyly have forearm tightness?  Likely followed by the "drop now/ this means TJ" cult.  He is going to start within a week.  I'm not a Lamet owner, but I'm am admirer.  I missed getting g him, and the discount was already baked in.  No way would I drop him until there actually is real news.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Didn't drew smyly have forearm tightness?  Likely followed by the "drop now/ this means TJ" cult.  He is going to start within a week.  I'm not a Lamet owner, but I'm am admirer.  I missed getting g him, and the discount was already baked in.  No way would I drop him until there actually is real news.


Smyly is starting tonight.  
 

I mean any owner should know there’s a good chance Lamet is all but done this year.   But it’s not over.  He’s still throwing and they are planning on starting him as soon as his 10 days is over.   No one in their right mind would drop him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks bad for Lamet for sure, but it's not impossible for these situations to work out.

Griffin Canning went to the IL twice in late 2019 with elbow inflammation, then in 2020 spring training was shut down with "chronic changes to the UCL." I thought no way he avoids TJ at that point, but he got some PRP injections, came back when the season started in July and has had no issues since. Starting later today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

It looks bad for Lamet for sure, but it's not impossible for these situations to work out.

Griffin Canning went to the IL twice in late 2019 with elbow inflammation, then in 2020 spring training was shut down with "chronic changes to the UCL." I thought no way he avoids TJ at that point, but he got some PRP injections, came back when the season started in July and has had no issues since. Starting later today.

Hmm...perhaps not the timeliest example..

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...