NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nickeil Alexander-Walker 2020-2021 Outlook

On 1/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, rob0403 said:

Time to push this thread to the top. Sounds like he is in NOP long term plans.

What do you guys think so far?

bledsoe, reddick, and ball are on the trading block. They wanna free mins for him. kinda tempting

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would love for the Pels to put out an announcement about Bledsoe similar to what OKC did regarding Horford. 

Are you the one starting these rumors?

Last year he averaged 2.8 threes, 16.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists, and 0.5 blocks per 36 minutes... as a rookie. He averaged 2.0 steals per 36 minutes in his final season at VT and is averaging

Posted Images

Anyone grabs this ball hog?  Ball is hurt and rumour says pel wants to trade away ball to make room for NAW.  

But I don’t know why pel loves him so much, he is one of the best ball hogs I have ever seen in nba lol.

Edited by PascalSiakam
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, PascalSiakam said:

Anyone grabs this ball hog?  Ball is hurt and rumour says pel wants to trade away ball to make room for NAW.  

But I don’t know why pel loves him so much, he is one of the best ball hogs I have ever seen in nba lol.

check his per 36. its pretty sweet

42 minutes ago, PascalSiakam said:

image.png.cc4298bc407ed25b68fda45291f3eeed.png

They love this "ball hog" because he is part of the best lineup they have this season so far.

Almost every other lineup is negative and by a long shot. 

Picked him up preemptively in a keeper league. Since it's a b2b coming up, it's definitely possible Lonzo misses one or even both, so why not. Doubt a trade happens this early though, but who knows.

His per minutes stuff SUCKS. Last season he had very modest 2.2 fantasy points per minute and this season it has been close to 2.4 fantasy points per minute. To give you an idea, those numbers would mean 66 and 77 fantasy points per 30 minutes. So, improvement for sure this season and he might end up playing more than 32 minutes which would make him rosterable. Sample size is 60 games so not big and maybe he would thrive on a bigger role. Are we feeling CJ McCollum type of a coming out party here? I might buy in.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, rob0403 said:

Time to push this thread to the top. Sounds like he is in NOP long term plans.

What do you guys think so far?

It's a very mixed crowd right now. There are some people who think he'd be amazing if the trade happens. The argument is that he has more 29+ppg in his career with the Pelicans than Ball and SVG loves him.

Others like myself noticed he doesn't seem like a pass first guy, is careful with the ball, or is someone who's adept at getting his teammates optimal looks in the offense. You'd need to remember that he had his best scoring game today when Zion & Ingram didn't play. After that, he only had 1 other game where he had a pretty good line (that was today). 

If you're way above in your league and have someone to cut, I'd stash him. Most teams struggling might have a hard time holding on in their pursuit to climb up the chart.

1 hour ago, tazdingo said:

It's a very mixed crowd right now. There are some people who think he'd be amazing if the trade happens. The argument is that he has more 29+ppg in his career with the Pelicans than Ball and SVG loves him.

Others like myself noticed he doesn't seem like a pass first guy, is careful with the ball, or is someone who's adept at getting his teammates optimal looks in the offense. You'd need to remember that he had his best scoring game today when Zion & Ingram didn't play. After that, he only had 1 other game where he had a pretty good line (that was today). 

If you're way above in your league and have someone to cut, I'd stash him. Most teams struggling might have a hard time holding on in their pursuit to climb up the chart.

Yeah I concur that he definitely isn't a pass first guy. However, I would also note that he's never been asked to play in that scheme especially Ball was supposed to be that pass guy. I think his role in this team isn't set yet and he might be asked to do more. He did get decent assists in college and while passing is not a great strength, scouts never saw it as a weakness at the very least.

"https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-2019-canadian-nickeil-alexander-walker-scouting-report-strengths-weaknesses-and-player-comparison/szda6wp7k5pi11ih3ws4zljqq

Perhaps the most underrated part of Alexander-Walker's game is his skill driving with either hand. He's the most ambidextrous prospect I've seen come through the draft the last few seasons and that ability to work with his off hand makes him unpredictable and allows him to be equally effective from either side of the court running pick and roll. He's also able to pass the ball confidently with either hand which, mixed with his court vision and length, makes him a tremendous distributor."

Lonzo ball just went down so I am thinking you should pick him up if he fits your team now rather than later.

51 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

Tempting to stash but trade deadline is still 2 months away. Unless pelicans are desperate to deal sooner than later

They'll probably wait until Lonzo raises his value a little bit, but it doesn't help that he's injured now and the league knows he's available in trades. 

6 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

His per minutes stuff SUCKS. Last season he had very modest 2.2 fantasy points per minute and this season it has been close to 2.4 fantasy points per minute. To give you an idea, those numbers would mean 66 and 77 fantasy points per 30 minutes. So, improvement for sure this season and he might end up playing more than 32 minutes which would make him rosterable. Sample size is 60 games so not big and maybe he would thrive on a bigger role. Are we feeling CJ McCollum type of a coming out party here? I might buy in.

Last year he averaged 2.8 threes, 16.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists, and 0.5 blocks per 36 minutes... as a rookie. He averaged 2.0 steals per 36 minutes in his final season at VT and is averaging 1.7 steals per 36 minutes this year. He's shooting 46.1% since last year's All Star break and is a 76.5% free-throw shooter since his sophomore year of college (78.3% this year). In his four career starts, he's averaging 21.8 points per game in less than 31 minutes. Those numbers do not suck.

If he's given 32 minutes a night, nobody should be surprised if he can put up a line like: 43%, 77%, 2.2, 15, 4.5, 4.5, 1.2, 0.4, 2.7.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

They'll probably wait until Lonzo raises his value a little bit, but it doesn't help that he's injured now and the league knows he's available in trades. 

Ehh. The dude is in his 4th year. He is what he is at this point. Trade value ain't changing over the next two months and a minor ankle injury won't scare other teams away. If anything, the Pelican execs looking to move him probably had a little bit of a heart attack when he walked back to the locker room last night. Might be tempted to move him sooner than later, before a more impactful injury could jeopardize their plans.

10 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Ehh. The dude is in his 4th year. He is what he is at this point. Trade value ain't changing over the next two months and a minor ankle injury won't scare other teams away. If anything, the Pelican execs looking to move him probably had a little bit of a heart attack when he walked back to the locker room last night. Might be tempted to move him sooner than later, before a more impactful injury could jeopardize their plans.

Yeah I was feeling the same about Lonzo... His FT for example has not improved in any of the years. I mean FT is a skill that should increase from pure practice. Teams are just looking at fit, not potential for Lonzo right now. So maybe they pull the trigger on something like an Oubre, sounds like an even trade. 

I just wonder if Bledsoe moves too, because obviously it's a youth movement with Ingram handling the ball. However feels like that's less likely to happen right now. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

True but the Pelicans aren't using him right either this season, it is what it is. Either way as it stands now NAW is worth a look in deeper leagues. If Lonzo gets traded he becomes must own in standard leagues. If Lonzo and Bledsoe gets traded then NAW becomes must own in all leagues. 

Just saw this article:

https://hoopshype.com/lists/lonzo-ball-nba-trade-destinations/

Edited by DezedandConfused
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, tazdingo said:

To be fair he dropped that 37 with Ingram on the floorfor 38 minutes, Zion out.

I mentioned before that he doesn't seem to have great team basketball IQ (being too much of a iso type player who doesn't make plays for others), but I think that can develop, particularly if the team ships Ball out and he knows he's of the team's main guys.  I think he is extremely talented as a ballhandler who can break down a defense, can be a very good shooter, and has a pretty high ceiling if given a chance with the reins being passed to him as a starter.

Might be a little rocky for awhile until a trade happens with Ball and/or Bledsoe, but I'm back in in a 14 teamer and will ride it out for the potential, with the expectations of some ups and downs.  I believe in the talent I've seen and hope he can build more confidence and establish some degree of consistency.  It might take some weeks to fully pan out, but knowing my league he'd be taken as the rumors continue to swirl.

2 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

To be fair he dropped that 37 with Ingram on the floorfor 38 minutes, Zion out.

I mentioned before that he doesn't seem to have great team basketball IQ (being too much of a iso type player who doesn't make plays for others), but I think that can develop, particularly if the team ships Ball out and he knows he's of the team's main guys.  I think he is extremely talented as a ballhandler who can break down a defense, can be a very good shooter, and has a pretty high ceiling if given a chance with the reins being passed to him as a starter.

Might be a little rocky for awhile until a trade happens with Ball and/or Bledsoe, but I'm back in in a 14 teamer and will ride it out for the potential, with the expectations of some ups and downs.  I believe in the talent I've seen and hope he can build more confidence and establish some degree of consistency.  It might take some weeks to fully pan out, but knowing my league he'd be taken as the rumors continue to swirl.

I haven't seen him play. Just looked at stats and read the posts here. To me he seems somehow comparable to a Lou Williams. Could it be? Or who is a similar guy?

1 hour ago, sgergole said:

I haven't seen him play. Just looked at stats and read the posts here. To me he seems somehow comparable to a Lou Williams. Could it be? Or who is a similar guy?

This is a good question.  I just started fantasy NBA last year after not paying attention to basketball for many years, so I'm not sure who a good comparison would be.  I guess Lou Williams could be seen stylistically similar, but I have a feeling that NAW could grow into a better playmaker, but not be as prolific of a scorer.  @DezedandConfused mentioned Dinwiddie, which might not be a horrible comparison from what I've seen of him.  I guess I'm just not the best person to ask for a comparison, but you might not be too far off.

Yeah, Dinwiddie is actually a good one. I don't like the Shai comp. Think that's simply a familial thing. Shai has a slithery that is unmatched. NAW does get to his spots, but not as smoothly.

I can actually see a more polished Keldon Johnson? With more playmaker upside. On both sides of the ball. NAW is fairly "thick" and gets into the defense. He can drive and shoot from deep, he seems to have no problem with contact and has good shot mechanics. His handle is a lot sharper than KJ and his offense is more varied. He's actually fairly unique as far as play styles go. I think he'll be a solid scorer soon with room to be an excellent scorer. As someone mentioned, I think his Stls and 3s will be well above average. His playmaking may be mediocre. Possibly from his own limitations or from playing with BI and potential another ballhandling guard. But long term I wouldnt be surprised to see him develop into a good passer.

His issue last season, and this season to be fair, has always been his offensive IQ. He does get tunnel vision and looks like a bit of a chucker. Difference between this year and last year was NOTHING was falling last season. Now some of the shots are going in so it doesn't look as bad. He's super intriguing. Very boom or bust in my opinion. Even if Pels clean house and hand him the keys to the backcourt, he may have some REALLY bad games along the way. But he could also be a huge difference maker mid-season and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 stocks, but those percentages.... oof. The upside is absolutely tantalising, though. 👀.

I think I'm stashing for the pure potential. Especially in a keeper.

Edited by m1dday
  • Like 2

And they took away a steal that I thought was clearly his (end of third he poked it away, initially got credit but they changed it to Hayes).  It seems like the Pels really want this guy to work out, and I think his upside is through the roof.  Even without a trade they're trying to incorporate him more and it seems to be increasing his energy/activity on both ends.  Continuing to hold, especially in hopes of a trade of Bledsoe or Ball.

• Like 1