NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Teoscar Hernandez 2021 Outlook

3 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yeah him and arozrana have been my worse picks. Never pay for last years stats with a 30%+ k rate

I'm suffering with both of these guys as well. I'm much more confident in Arozarena than Teoscar. At least Arozarena is hitting singles...

You wouldn't grab Teo for Safe batting average though.  You draft him for power and for a bit of upside with SBs.  His draft price is just right based on this.  But I'm saying writing him off after 9 games is way too soon.  As someone posted earlier, his K% is too high but his Hard hit % and other stats are top of the charts.  If you want an example of a high K% but still awesome fantasy season, look at Jorge Soler's 2019 season.  He's Jorge Soler with speed and a better hitters park and team.

• Like 2

It has been affecting everyone differently. Some people have no symptoms at all, some people have cold like symptoms, and some people claim to have long lasting effects from Covid. It would be impossible for any of us to say what sort of effect it will have on a particular player. If I had to guess though, Teoscar comes back after the minimum time missed and has no lasting symptoms.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

It's suddenly gotten very silent on this guy. Anyone plugged in with the Jays heard anything? I figured he'd be back this week.

He will be back today. Hopefully he rakes right out the gate!

Edited by Ace_King
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Most are here for the power/speed combo like he delivered with today's smash and dash, but the part I'm most excited about is the improvement he's made to his strikeout rate:

image.thumb.png.54734b3df71683ae98871344629b663a.png

K% can be very noisy even with season-long samples so seeing a steady pattern of improvement is encouraging.  He's still chasing balls outside the zone more than most, but seems to be making much more contact in the zone.  Hard to say if it's sustainable, and I think it'll take another few months of the same before we can say he's crossing over into a 5-category producer, but if he were to do it, this is how it might look.

• Like 4

Yeah, I've noticed the improvement as well in the K department. I was either reading something or listening to one of the broadcasters earlier in the season, and they mentioned that he made a point during the offseason to become more patient at the plate instead of chasing pitches.

So far, seems to be working out just fine :) 

• 1 month later...

He might be ready for a real heater here, most things look great (yeah there is always gonna be some swing/miss and chase)...just noticed he is seeing a lot of pitches lately and Springer getting going behind him could really help too:

image.png.c9d02510f9a6650eb49a7f91f8894b23.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Nothing to really report here, just that he is 14 for 28 in his last 7 games and absolutely smoking the ball. S T U D 🤸‍♂️

Hitting .313 with 21 homers and over 80 RBI’s right now. Plus 8 steals. What a season from this man. 

Acquiring Teoscar Hernandez was probably one of my best trades. But, now, how to assess his dynasty value after the season he's having. One of the best 15 outfielders, top 10 . . . I'd love to see that team in the playoffs.

• 4 weeks later...