NBC Sports Edge Forums

I'm curious what the threshold is to be considered a dynasty league - is it only for leagues where once you get a player, you can hold onto them for their entire career? If so, it seems like teams who end up being stacked would leave a large portion of the league disinterested or uncompetitive for long periods of time.

I think my league structure is fairly unique (no idea) in that we're allowed to keep as many players as we want if they fit on our roster and under the cap, but after 3 seasons we must let them go - the idea was to mimic hitting on a late round draft pick or free agent signing, but eventually you'd have to pay that player their market rate. My league's been going on for 19 years and is the only league I do, hence I don't have much perspective. Would love to hear peoples' thoughts.

I don’t think a dynasty league is so much about keeping individuals indefinitely.  Any keeper league can be structured that way. Dynasty means keeping your whole roster from year to year. The draft is for incoming rookies, then you cut guys to fit the rookies into your roster. 

My league is a deep keeper in that we keep a minimum of eight. We can keep more, up to our whole roster, by giving back draft picks. Every year a few teams keep their whole roster and skip the draft. Even though these teams are usually stacked, and often roll through the regular season, we’ve never had a team hold it’s whole roster and actually win the title. So, karma I guess. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, trilly said:

we're allowed to keep as many players as we want if they fit on our roster and under the cap, but after 3 seasons we must let them go

This is not that uncommon. I think most people would still refer to this as a (deep) keeper league, but it doesn't matter so much I guess.

42 minutes ago, trilly said:

it seems like teams who end up being stacked would leave a large portion of the league disinterested or uncompetitive for long periods of time.

Actually, it seems that in dynasty most people are emotionally invested in their players to some extent, and if anything it seems to help keep a long-term interest. Also, stacks collapse and draft picks can hit, so hope springs eternal.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, trilly said:

[...] it seems like teams who end up being stacked would leave a large portion of the league disinterested or uncompetitive for long periods of time.[...]

I personally think it's super interesting to rebuild your team to catch up to those "stacked" teams. I think with how much the outcomes changes on every position, stacked team aren't that much of a problem. There's injuries (example: I am one of those stacked teams in my league with Dak, Barkley, CMC and AJ Brown. Guess how far I made it this year 😿) and there is the short shelf life of RBs. And if there is a team that is able to find gems late in the draft every year and stays stacked over many years, they deserve it.

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Actually, it seems that in dynasty most people are emotionally invested in their players to some extent

If somebody talks bad about one of my players in this forum I always have to withstand my urge to DM ugly words to them. 😠 (the AJ Brown thread really hurts although I technically agree with the consensus)

Lot of the guys in my league collect memerobilia or cards around their dynasty pieces, expecially the cornerstones or rising rookies (the Jefferson owner spent big money on jerseys and helmets this year). To aquire such a piece from them you have to pay an "emotionality premium".

Edited by thebadferret
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I play in one of each and by far the limited keeper league (9 seasons) is funner.  The rules are simple, you can keep 3 players but every player has to enter the draft at least every 3 seasons, and 1st round picks are not keeper eligible, we also allow trading of draft picks for the following season since we have no turnover.

With the above we are some great teams but they all have short windows and we are a lot of rebuilding and loading up near the trade deadline.

9 hours ago, trilly said:

"... If so, it seems like teams who end up being stacked would leave a large portion of the league disinterested or uncompetitive for long periods of time. I think my league structure is fairly unique (no idea) in that we're allowed to keep as many players as we want if they fit on our roster and under the cap, but after 3 seasons we must let them go..."

So you've coupled an auction or snake draft to something akin to a daily cash play with a cap. Interesting. But the salary part, I mean, the unavoidable subjectiveness of it would seem ripe for REVOLT! ha-ha....  I suppose if salaries to hard-linked to performance, a low salary for a stud returning from IR, it all evens out. My guess would be that trading is minimal & more difficult to oversee.

I only play in 1 dynasty league.  20 man rosters and we keep the large majority from year to year.  Before Rookie Draft we have to cut 4 players to open up roster spots but that's it, otherwise they are ours forever.  Keeper league to me would only be keeping 2 or 3 players for a few years. 

Yours seems like more of a hybrid keeper/dynasty since you force people to give them up.  Running any league for 19 years is a damn good run, especially for dynasty leagues because as you said...teams can get disinterested if you have to rebuild.  Mine has been going for I think 8 years now which is a real strong run for dynasty as it is.  Great job on developing a league that connects with your owners. 

Most purists consider a dynasty league to be 25-spot or greater rosters, with annual rookie drafts. 

My league is a glorified keeper - keep any number of players (0-16) for as long as you'd like, lose as many picks in the rookie/FA draft as you keep - but we call it dynasty because it's fun to do so lol. I consider it a pseudo dynasty based on being able to keep entire rosters if we so choose, but our shallow 16-man rosters and no dedicated rookie draft keep it from being a true dynasty IMO.

• Like 2

My favorite league format is a balanced keeper.  

keep 2-3 player y/y, and pay either a keeper tax if auction (their previous draft value + say 20%, with a minimum set of 5% of overall budget so 10 dollar keeper min in $200 budget drafts) or in snake leagues a tax on the round so if you got them in the 10th the next year you need to spend your 9th to keep them.  

it keeps the league fresh but also who doesn’t love going in on some keepers

i play dynasty too but it’s WAY too involved for me as a year round thing. I guess I’m more of a filthy casual 

Edited by cheezor42
2 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

keep 2-3 player y/y, and pay either a keeper tax if auction (their previous draft value + say 20%, with a minimum set of 5% of overall budget so 10 dollar keeper min in $200 budget drafts) or in snake leagues a tax on the round so if you got them in the 10th the next year you need to spend your 9th to keep them.  

it keeps the league fresh but also who doesn’t love going in on some keepers

i play dynasty too but it’s WAY too involved for me as a year round thing. I guess I’m more of a filthy casual 

That's exactly what I love about dynasty, lol. I'm in a super active dynasty league. It's nice to still be sifting through trade offers in March and April. In redraft, or even normal keeper leagues, fantasy basically goes away from 6 months out of the year.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

This is almost exactly what we do, without the minimum keeper price but we round up ($1 becomes $2, $2 becomes $3, etc.). I've made my hay in this league by consistently snagging cheap young WRs that blossom, which allows me to overspend at RB. When I hit on some players I inevitably wish it was dynasty so that I can hold them longer, but I like the overall competitive balance it creates - keeps things interesting and you're only as good as your last couple of years worth of moves. And of course football changes so much from year to year, nothing is guaranteed.

People do trade away future assets if they're trying to position for a playoff run, but the salaries can oftentimes make that tricky. Overall, I like the structure because it does mimic some of the actual challenges of GMs trying to build teams.

I run a 10 team, 22 man roster dynasty league that we expand to 25 for the draft.  Owners can cut as many players as they want but it's not really a good idea since they'd wind up with a lot of rookies.  Most usually draft 3-4 new players tops.  I like it because it keeps people invested.  Our buy in is $200 but half of that rolls into the following year so if you bail, you lose half your investment.  

The last place team at the onset due to terrible draft strategy is now in middle place and next year he'll almost certainly make the playoffs.  The winner last year took second this year but he was as low as 7th at one point and got lucky.  My son and I took second and first 2 years ago, did poorly last year due to injury and he's 9th and I'm 10th this year.  Yay Trevor Lawrence!  Despite being last this year I anticipate making the playoffs next year no problem.  So, it balances out well, nobody stays stacked.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, trilly said:

I'm curious what the threshold is to be considered a dynasty league - is it only for leagues where once you get a player, you can hold onto them for their entire career? If so, it seems like teams who end up being stacked would leave a large portion of the league disinterested or uncompetitive for long periods of time.

I run what I consider to be a dynasty and you'd be surprised. Yes there are "stacked" teams in this league, but the injury mill/unexpected rookies tearing up the league really equalize things. Most "stacked" teams in this league (just finished our 15th season) win 1 title and they're done (for a while). A precious few have won 2 in a row, and there has never been a 3-year champ. 

We keep the FA pool stocked by making anyone drafted in the first 5 rounds that year non-keeper-eligible the next year. The rest (rounds 6-15) are keepable as long as you want (to me this is what makes it a dynasty) - but their draft price increases one round each year. Thus - all "stacked teams" keep getting squeezed on draft value and have to start either trading or rebuilding as they get priced out of competitiveness. What typically happens is the "stacked teams" miss out on big-time bargains in the later rounds as certain rookies make it obvious they'll be around a while - and the worm turns. There has never been a true "dynasty" in this dynasty league so far - the rules make it tougher than I expected actually, which I see as a good thing. There are some consistently excellent owners in this league and they win their share of hardware, but it is often 2nd or 3rd place hardware.

• Like 1
On 1/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, Bandito said:

I don’t think a dynasty league is so much about keeping individuals indefinitely.  Any keeper league can be structured that way. Dynasty means keeping your whole roster from year to year. The draft is for incoming rookies, then you cut guys to fit the rookies into your roster. 

My league is a deep keeper in that we keep a minimum of eight. We can keep more, up to our whole roster, by giving back draft picks. Every year a few teams keep their whole roster and skip the draft. Even though these teams are usually stacked, and often roll through the regular season, we’ve never had a team hold it’s whole roster and actually win the title. So, karma I guess. 

True, you need fresh guys in there every season.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:24 AM, thebadferret said:

Lot of the guys in my league collect memerobilia or cards around their dynasty pieces, expecially the cornerstones or rising rookies (the Jefferson owner spent big money on jerseys and helmets this year). To aquire such a piece from them you have to pay an "emotionality premium".

I'm also emotionally invested. Every time I win a championship (not that it happens often) I buy a jersey or t-shirt of my best player.

I play in a couple of dynasty leagues, a keeper league and a couple of redraft leagues. Dynasty is my favorite hands down. In the other leagues, there are maybe one or two trades that happen per year, and that's if people are feeling crazy. A normal season has none. In dynasty, if you aren't making trades, you're going to be a middle of the road, lose out in the first round of the playoffs, draft from the 6 or 7 spot every year type of team. If you're into the trading and team building aspect of it, dynasty is king. I suppose deep keeper leagues could be similar, but my keeper league is only keep 2, so that's my only point of reference.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:34 PM, wonderbread said:

I play in a couple of dynasty leagues, a keeper league and a couple of redraft leagues. Dynasty is my favorite hands down. In the other leagues, there are maybe one or two trades that happen per year, and that's if people are feeling crazy. A normal season has none. In dynasty, if you aren't making trades, you're going to be a middle of the road, lose out in the first round of the playoffs, draft from the 6 or 7 spot every year type of team. If you're into the trading and team building aspect of it, dynasty is king. I suppose deep keeper leagues could be similar, but my keeper league is only keep 2, so that's my only point of reference.

I agree with you. Dynasty is great. Problem is a lot of s---y trades and turnover. So I like deep keeper with a time limit of keep only two years. And have rookie draft. Then a supplemental. It is a bit of a hybrid and I am hoping this hits the sweet spot. Love the whole research rooks aspect. Keeps people interested in college ball and researching into the draft. 😀

18 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

I agree with you. Dynasty is great. Problem is a lot of s---y trades and turnover. So I like deep keeper with a time limit of keep only two years. And have rookie draft. Then a supplemental. It is a bit of a hybrid and I am hoping this hits the sweet spot. Love the whole research rooks aspect. Keeps people interested in college ball and researching into the draft. 😀

Yeah, there's going to be some of that in any league. We put rules into place to get rid of inactive owners and other annoyances, but people are always going to value players differently and make s---y trades. I remember in one of my dynasties, someone traded Allen Robinson after his breakout year for D Adams (hadn't done anything but drop passes at this point) and Keenan Allen (carried the injury prone label at this point). People were so pissed that he would let Allen Robinson go for so cheap that they were going to leave the league. Guess who's laughing now. Anyway, there's not much difference between deep keeper and dynasty I would imagine. When it's all said and done, the league mates are what makes a league fun or not.

• Like 1