NBC Sports Edge Forums

• tonycpsu changed the title to Kelly Olynyk 2020-2021 Outlook
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes grabbed him already, he will provide solid stats for the rest of the season as Mia does not have a legit pf.  I guess 10 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assts, 2 threes, 1 steal and 1 blk per game is not an unreal

Do you guys remember picking up Olynyk thinking, "Here's the guy who's single-handedly going to win me the rebounds cat in Week 15?" Me neither.

I think the stocks you're asking for a bit much. He's never averaged more than a block in his career and the most SPG he's had were in his sophomore year at Boston so I feel like the stocks he's done in the recent game are an outlier. Everything else seems on your projection seems on point.

1 hour ago, PascalSiakam said:

Yes grabbed him already, he will provide solid stats for the rest of the season as Mia does not have a legit pf.  I guess 10 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assts, 2 threes, 1 steal and 1 blk per game is not an unrealistic number.

20 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I think the stocks you're asking for a bit much. He's never averaged more than a block in his career and the most SPG he's had were in his sophomore year at Boston so I feel like the stocks he's done in the recent game are an outlier. Everything else seems on your projection seems on point.

Haha I guess you are right, but 1 combined stl/blk seems achievable.  Oh I forgot one most important thing, he is in his contract year this season.

9 minutes ago, PascalSiakam said:

Haha I guess you are right, but 1 combined stl/blk seems achievable.  Oh I forgot one most important thing, he is in his contract year this season.

Ooh thats a juicy bit of information I didn't know about. Makes me feel a bit bad on passing him for now.

Well, we've all seen this before.. and every time I get sucked in lmao.

His ceiling is probably like what he did in 17/18. I'm cherry picking these stats here but it does illustrate what he's capable of:

Dec 20/17 - Apr 11/18

BBM Rank: 83

g m/g p/g 3/g r/g a/g s/g b/g fg% fga/g ft% fta/g to/g
46 24.5 12.9 1.6 5.9 3.2 0.8 0.5 .500 9.5 .771 2.4 1.9
7 minutes ago, hlin8821 said:

Does he have the starting position locked up or is it going to be match-up based with him switching off with Iggy and potentially Meyers Leonard?

I don't get why heats pay this bum 10m/year

• Like 1

Heat fan irl here, I wouldn’t be too high on KO. This Heat team is too deep for their own good and Spo has been mixing and matching rotations game by game. KO has been solid in his mins but he’s not thought of as a long-term answer to anything. Spo would ideally prefer to give Harkless those mins that Jae Crowder vacated but Harkless is still getting in shape and learning the system. But make no mistake, Harkless is the priority over KO 

For evidence of what Spo thinks about KO look no further than the 2020 Finals: Heat won game 3 in large part due to KO’s performance, then the very next game Spo gave him 12 mins lol 

The Heat tried this Olynyk with the starters routine at least a dozen times. It's exhausting. But if they string together a few wins in a row it's whatever.

1 hour ago, PUNTSQUAD said:

Heat fan irl here, I wouldn’t be too high on KO. This Heat team is too deep for their own good and Spo has been mixing and matching rotations game by game. KO has been solid in his mins but he’s not thought of as a long-term answer to anything. Spo would ideally prefer to give Harkless those mins that Jae Crowder vacated but Harkless is still getting in shape and learning the system. But make no mistake, Harkless is the priority over KO 

For evidence of what Spo thinks about KO look no further than the 2020 Finals: Heat won game 3 in large part due to KO’s performance, then the very next game Spo gave him 12 mins lol 

Harkless is doodoo. He shouldn't even be in the rotation. Hopefully he's fazed out just like Nunn.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Harkless is doodoo. He shouldn't even be in the rotation. Hopefully he's fazed out just like Nunn.

Going from Jae to Mo at the stretch 4 spot is legit depressing as a Heat fan but I’m pretty sure Spo’s intent is to have Harkless play that role. I’m still holding out hope for KZ tho 

I picked him up in both of my competitive 12 team leagues. Dropped Noel in one and had an open roster slot in the other. He fits both my builds pretty well as a skilled big man who can shoot the 3 and provide some out of position assists. If he continues to get 25+ minutes he’ll be useful, starting or off the bench. 

Don't forget Achiuwa. If this kid keeps improving he'll take some on Olynyk's minutes. Right now Achiuwa is getting backup minutes at Center. I think he needs about 20 minutes per game. Then Olynyk is back to his usual 18-20 a game. Who knows with Coach Spo........

Achiuwa needs at least 20 minutes a game because he's Precious.

• Haha 1

Was KO working back from an injury before the season started?

James Johnson left and so did Derrick Jones Jr. The last 2 seasons, KO has had streaks where he puts up great stats when those 2 weren’t taking minutes from KO. Kind of like a Bam situation when Whiteside was still there. 

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Was KO working back from an injury before the season started?

James Johnson left and so did Derrick Jones Jr. The last 2 seasons, KO has had streaks where he puts up great stats when those 2 weren’t taking minutes from KO. Kind of like a Bam situation when Whiteside was still there. 

Crowder also left

6 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

Crowder also left

You’re right, which is why I asked if KO had been injured to start the season and had to work his way back. 

Given the lack of competition at the 4 and KO’s fit with the rest of the starters, it surprises mess that he hasn’t been more of a factor for them this season, but I’m not that familiar with their roster and rotations.

I’m also surprised he’s not getting more buzz around here. I think he’ll be a nice add for the year... Iguodala hasn’t played significant regular season minutes in the regular season for years now and is too small to play the 4 consistently anyways; Meyers Leonard has not been that great since the playoff series vs the Warriors 2 years ago; Harkless isn’t great offensively and the Heat need spacing for Jimmy and Bam; and the rookies are not ready. Like I said before, he’s had great stretches the last 2 seasons when he wasn’t sharing minutes with James Johnson. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PascalSiakam said:

https://allucanheat.com/2021/01/05/miami-heat-kelly-olynyk-right-starter/

I guess this is finally the year KO to break out.

Pascal, you’ve gone up against him multiple times in your career. What’s your take, do you think he can keep up what he’s been doing the last 3 games? Do you think he could even improve on that?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, claptondecheeks said:

Pascal, you’ve gone up against him multiple times in your career. What’s your take, do you think he can keep up what he’s been doing the last 3 games? Do you think he could even improve on that?

Lol not now after today’s performance