Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo!, CBS, ESPN, Fantrax, etc..


Recommended Posts

Had this question related to Yahoo specifically, but figured it is relevant to all of the platforms this year. Will there be adjustments to positional eligibility this year? I am just thinking, for instance, Yahoo requires 5 starts in the prior year to be eligible at a position. Is this going to be prorated to account for the smaller season? Will there be a little more judgment by providers on positional eligibility? This is probably not an issue that is answered yet, but definitely something to keep in mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yahoo could/should have done a lot of things over the years.  They never do.  You'll enjoy life a lot more once you accept that it's a free platform that's worth every penny you pay for it.

Yahoo is so terrible. Cute to see people write so much to defend it. Enjoy. 

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Had this question related to Yahoo specifically, but figured it is relevant to all of the platforms this year. Will there be adjustments to positional eligibility this year? I am just thinking, for instance, Yahoo requires 5 starts in the prior year to be eligible at a position. Is this going to be prorated to account for the smaller season? Will there be a little more judgment by providers on positional eligibility? This is probably not an issue that is answered yet, but definitely something to keep in mind.

I use CBS commissioner for my keeper leagues. We set our own limits for what we want. Before last year started since it was only 2 months long I changed our settings to 5 games for hitters to qualify for a new position during the season and for next season. If we go back to a real season this year I will move it back to 10 games during the year and for next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Had this question related to Yahoo specifically, but figured it is relevant to all of the platforms this year. Will there be adjustments to positional eligibility this year? I am just thinking, for instance, Yahoo requires 5 starts in the prior year to be eligible at a position. Is this going to be prorated to account for the smaller season? Will there be a little more judgment by providers on positional eligibility? This is probably not an issue that is answered yet, but definitely something to keep in mind.

Yahoo has said it remains with the same rules.  Either 5 starts OR 10 appearances at a position.  Given they have the most generous rules of any platform it wouldn't make sense to lower the requirements any further.  How silly it would be to only require 2 starts at a position after all.

If you want to see which players in your dynasty or keeper leagues retain which positions you can check this out via the the Standard Fielding stats box on player pages at Baseball Reference.  G = Appearances and GS = Games Started.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yahoo has said it remains with the same rules.  Either 5 starts OR 10 appearances at a position.  Given they have the most generous rules of any platform it wouldn't make sense to lower the requirements any further.  How silly it would be to only require 2 starts at a position after all.

If you want to see which players in your dynasty or keeper leagues retain which positions you can check this out via the the Standard Fielding stats box on player pages at Baseball Reference.  G = Appearances and GS = Games Started.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/

 

The fairest thing would be to use eligibility from the last full season.  

If anybody qualified at additional positions last year during a 60 games season, then add those.  All subjective anyway.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The fairest thing would be to use eligibility from the last full season.  

If anybody qualified at additional positions last year during a 60 games season, then add those.  All subjective anyway.

Well I don't think it would be fair to say have Isiah Kiner-Falefa remain catcher eligible for all of 2021 when he didn't catch a single game at all last year though and won't this year either since he is now the Rangers' going into this SS this season.  Under your definition he would have that position since he caught just enough in 2019 to "retain" catcher through last year. 

There is Yahoo's liberal use of position eligibility which I applaud since it is in step with how modern baseball is played.  But then there is Twilight Zone eligibility.  Might as well do away with any position and just label all your hitting slots as AP (Any Position) and call it a day.  🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well I don't think it would be fair to say have Isiah Kiner-Falefa remain catcher eligible for all of 2021 when he didn't catch a single game at all last year though and won't this year either since he is now the Rangers' going into this SS this season.  Under your definition he would have that position since he caught just enough in 2019 to "retain" catcher through last year. 

There is Yahoo's liberal use of position eligibility which I applaud since it is in step with how modern baseball is played.  But then there is Twilight Zone eligibility.  Might as well do away with any position and just label all your hitting slots as AP (Any Position) and call it a day.  🤪

 

Sure there will be a few isolated players that will certainly benefit.  But the start of the season will be littered with players that were hurt last year or opted out and didn't play enough games to qualify for the position they actually play.  Feels like more of a problem to start the new season than needs to be.

Probably some dynasty and keeper leagues that will have to figure out how to fill some spots early on because of this.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Sure there will be a few isolated players that will certainly benefit.  But the start of the season will be littered with players that were hurt last year or opted out and didn't play enough games to qualify for the position they actually play.  Feels like more of a problem to start the new season than needs to be.

Probably some dynasty and keeper leagues that will have to figure out how to fill some spots early on because of this.

 

You only need 5 games started to qualify, this really shouldn't be an issue. I assume opt outs will be treated the same way as if a player missed an entire season from injury. I could see it being a problem on more stricter platforms like ESPN where you need 20 games, but based on a post above that was moved down to 10 this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

 

You only need 5 games started to qualify, this really shouldn't be an issue. I assume opt outs will be treated the same way as if a player missed an entire season from injury. I could see it being a problem on more stricter platforms like ESPN where you need 20 games, but based on a post above that was moved down to 10 this year.

 

That would help for opt out players if they did treat them like injured players.  A sixty game season was such a flukey thing.  Basically a two month season.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Sure there will be a few isolated players that will certainly benefit.  But the start of the season will be littered with players that were hurt last year or opted out and didn't play enough games to qualify for the position they actually play.  Feels like more of a problem to start the new season than needs to be.

Probably some dynasty and keeper leagues that will have to figure out how to fill some spots early on because of this.

But who?  I know of no one that fits your description that has suddenly lost their prime position.  I play in three 16 team dynasty leagues and no one has a problem at all in this regards.  I've gone through my team and others to check and there are no problems I can find at all. 

Sure some utility guy that qualified at 6 different positions may start the season at only 4 or 5 instead.  But that is pretty normal in any year.  And there are actually players who have gained new positions going into next year as the result of this past season too.  Example:  Tommy Edman started 2020 qualified as 2B,3B,SS,RF and added LF while retaining the other four so he gains an extra position for 2021 so not all utility players lost a position.  

Again, it seems the same as any season to me.  So unless you can give us names of a number of players that have been effected I just can't believe this scenario at all. Especially since you cite players not qualifying for the everyday position they normally play.  I come up with ZERO in that category.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But who?  I know of no one that fits your description that has suddenly lost their prime position.  I play in three 16 team dynasty leagues and no one has a problem at all in this regards.  I've gone through my team and others to check and there are no problems I can find at all. 

Sure some utility guy that qualified at 6 different positions may start the season at only 4 or 5 instead.  But that is pretty normal in any year.  And there are actually players who have gained new positions going into next year as the result of this past season too.  Example:  Tommy Edman started 2020 qualified as 2B,3B,SS,RF and added LF while retaining the other four so he gains an extra position for 2021 so not all utility players lost a position.  

Again, it seems the same as any season to me.  So unless you can give us names of a number of players that have been effected I just can't believe this scenario at all. Especially since you cite players not qualifying for the everyday position they normally play.  I come up with ZERO in that category.

Jd martinez loses outfield position in leagues with 10+ games to qualify. So has no position but UT now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Jd martinez loses outfield position in leagues with 10+ games to qualify. So has no position but UT now. 

So a hitter that primarily DH's will start the season as a DH...? That seems fine to me, personally. He had 25 AB's where he was playing a defensive position out of 211 total. If the Red Sox regarded him as an OF, he would have earned eligibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But who?  I know of no one that fits your description that has suddenly lost their prime position.  I play in three 16 team dynasty leagues and no one has a problem at all in this regards.  I've gone through my team and others to check and there are no problems I can find at all. 

Sure some utility guy that qualified at 6 different positions may start the season at only 4 or 5 instead.  But that is pretty normal in any year.  And there are actually players who have gained new positions going into next year as the result of this past season too.  Example:  Tommy Edman started 2020 qualified as 2B,3B,SS,RF and added LF while retaining the other four so he gains an extra position for 2021 so not all utility players lost a position.  

Again, it seems the same as any season to me.  So unless you can give us names of a number of players that have been effected I just can't believe this scenario at all. Especially since you cite players not qualifying for the everyday position they normally play.  I come up with ZERO in that category.

 

Have all platforms made a decision on eligibility at this point in early January.    

It was a generic comment about potentially being a bit of a problem for some players in certain leagues.  Maybe it won't be a big problem as you say.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hanghow said:

So a hitter that primarily DH's will start the season as a DH...? That seems fine to me, personally. He had 25 AB's where he was playing a defensive position out of 211 total. If the Red Sox regarded him as an OF, he would have earned eligibility.

He would have if not a covid 2 month season. Was on pace for 21 games in the outfield in a regular season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

He would have if not a covid 2 month season. Was on pace for 21 games in the outfield in a regular season. 

That's assuming no injuries or anything. I can understand handling it either way, but I hardly see this as unfair.

Edited by Hanghow
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, enfuego360 said:

Any word out there when Yahoo and ESPN are going to open up this year?

 

Also, does anyone know around when Fantrax puts out their projections for the new season?

 

Thanks.

Traditionally Yahoo Fantasy Baseball opens in late February after shutting down completely in even view only mode for a couple of weeks prior to the opening.  But a few days ago it shut down it's view only mode now so you can't even view your dynasty teams right now so maybe it will open sooner this season.  Or not.  Who knows with Yahoo.  Anyone with a twitter acco0unt I guess you could actually ask them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yahoo's position eligibility is too low to begin with IMO.  5/10 gets too many folks multi-position qualified - for that season and all of next season just for five starts in a 162 game schedule?

I think players should have one position to start each season - the position they played the most the previous year.  And then have it 10 starts at the new position any given season.  .If the player really is having a position switch then you get his new eligibility by the end of your second match-up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Traditionally Yahoo Fantasy Baseball opens in late February after shutting down completely in even view only mode for a couple of weeks prior to the opening.  But a few days ago it shut down it's view only mode now so you can't even view your dynasty teams right now so maybe it will open sooner this season.  Or not.  Who knows with Yahoo.  Anyone with a twitter acco0unt I guess you could actually ask them.

Thanks. I always forget. How about Fantrax? That one I am more interested in. Does anyone know when they put out their projections?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Yahoo's position eligibility is too low to begin with IMO.  5/10 gets too many folks multi-position qualified - for that season and all of next season just for five starts in a 162 game schedule?

I think players should have one position to start each season - the position they played the most the previous year.  And then have it 10 starts at the new position any given season.  .If the player really is having a position switch then you get his new eligibility by the end of your second match-up.

That isn't how modern baseball is played.  Probably the majority of players play more than one position not even counting utility players.  And "utility"and everyday multi-position are a merged area as well.  Nope.  Yahoo got it right ahead of the other platforms is all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Traditionally Yahoo Fantasy Baseball opens in late February after shutting down completely in even view only mode for a couple of weeks prior to the opening.  But a few days ago it shut down it's view only mode now so you can't even view your dynasty teams right now so maybe it will open sooner this season.  Or not.  Who knows with Yahoo.  Anyone with a twitter acco0unt I guess you could actually ask them.

It’s been the mid 20s in January for years now and it was barely before February Last year; January 30. All they’ve said on Twitter so far is that it will be the last week of January this year 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WTP333 said:

It’s been the mid 20s in January for years now and it was barely before February Last year; January 30. All they’ve said on Twitter so far is that it will be the last week of January this year 

*For yahoo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Traditionally Yahoo Fantasy Baseball opens in late February after shutting down completely in even view only mode for a couple of weeks prior to the opening.  But a few days ago it shut down it's view only mode now so you can't even view your dynasty teams right now so maybe it will open sooner this season.  Or not.  Who knows with Yahoo.  Anyone with a twitter acco0unt I guess you could actually ask them.

I can still view our league and my team.  I did notice I had to go about it a different way then normal a few days ago though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Traditionally Yahoo Fantasy Baseball opens in late February after shutting down completely in even view only mode for a couple of weeks prior to the opening.  But a few days ago it shut down it's view only mode now so you can't even view your dynasty teams right now so maybe it will open sooner this season.  Or not.  Who knows with Yahoo.  Anyone with a twitter acco0unt I guess you could actually ask them.


I can still view last year on my app and my browser. 

And it hasn’t been late February...been more like January. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Flyman75 said:


I can still view last year on my app and my browser. 

And it hasn’t been late February...been more like January. 

 

Can no longer view my Yahoo league on my browser, but I can view it on my app. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...