NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo!, CBS, ESPN, Fantrax, etc..

On 2/26/2021 at 12:00 PM, KCTD25 said:

Does anyone have experience with draft pick trading in Yahoo leagues? I always see draft picks being traded during the season under the "recent trades" section or whatever it is. 

Since Yahoo leagues aren't open in the offseason, how does this work? Does the commish just have to manually change the draft the following year to match the picks that were traded the previous season? I guess you would need to manually change it regardless since the draft order changes every year? 

1. From my experience, Yahoo will only let you trade draft picks for the following season (not for the upcoming draft and not two seasons from now) and obviously only during the months the game for the current season is open.

2. When trading picks, you must have an equal number of picks being traded on both sides of the deal as the software will not allow one manager to have more (or less) total picks than any other manager. Typically this issue is resolved by one manager including their lowest draft pick(s) for the following season in the deal to balance the picks out.

3. Picks traded for the following season do not have to be manually adjusted as long as the number of teams in the league remain the same - Yahoo will automatically apply those picks once the league is set for "ready to begin drafting mode" (i.e. all managers accounted for, any/all keeper players processed/etc.). The traded picks will be automatically applied even if a new manager replaces an older manager that had traded picks. The draft order changing each year has no bearing on how the picks are applied, the picks follow the team and will be applied properly.

4. One important note - I'm not sure if they've changed the drafting software to make it easier to see, but in the past, once the pre-draft room is open (about a half-hour before the draft begins) the upcoming picks on the left side of the draft room start with round 1 and will fool one or more managers into thinking that this is the actual first drafting round and one or more managers are likely to say "Why aren't the traded picks showing? I have three first round picks!", etc. This happened year in and year out in a keeper league I was in and every year I had to explain to the room that once the draft actually begins, the draft will reflect all keepers for the first few rounds and then actually start with the first non-keeper round and your traded picks will be reflected properly. It's important to note this because it's caused chaos in the draft in terms of managers threatening to quit due to not realizing their picks were properly reflected. Knowing right away what to tell those managers immediately calms the draft room down.

5. Any trade involving draft picks for seasons other than the following season (if allowed) will need to be recorded elsewhere and adjusted manually by a commissioner when the time comes.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yahoo could/should have done a lot of things over the years.  They never do.  You'll enjoy life a lot more once you accept that it's a free platform that's worth every penny you pay for it.

Yahoo is so terrible. Cute to see people write so much to defend it. Enjoy. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

1. From my experience, Yahoo will only let you trade draft picks for the following season (not for the upcoming draft and not two seasons from now) and obviously only during the months the game for the current season is open.

2. When trading picks, you must have an equal number of picks being traded on both sides of the deal as the software will not allow one manager to have more (or less) total picks than any other manager. Typically this issue is resolved by one manager including their lowest draft pick(s) for the following season in the deal to balance the picks out.

3. Picks traded for the following season do not have to be manually adjusted as long as the number of teams in the league remain the same - Yahoo will automatically apply those picks once the league is set for "ready to begin drafting mode" (i.e. all managers accounted for, any/all keeper players processed/etc.). The traded picks will be automatically applied even if a new manager replaces an older manager that had traded picks. The draft order changing each year has no bearing on how the picks are applied, the picks follow the team and will be applied properly.

4. One important note - I'm not sure if they've changed the drafting software to make it easier to see, but in the past, once the pre-draft room is open (about a half-hour before the draft begins) the upcoming picks on the left side of the draft room start with round 1 and will fool one or more managers into thinking that this is the actual first drafting round and one or more managers are likely to say "Why aren't the traded picks showing? I have three first round picks!", etc. This happened year in and year out in a keeper league I was in and every year I had to explain to the room that once the draft actually begins, the draft will reflect all keepers for the first few rounds and then actually start with the first non-keeper round and your traded picks will be reflected properly. It's important to note this because it's caused chaos in the draft in terms of managers threatening to quit due to not realizing their picks were properly reflected. Knowing right away what to tell those managers immediately calms the draft room down.

5. Any trade involving draft picks for seasons other than the following season (if allowed) will need to be recorded elsewhere and adjusted manually by a commissioner when the time comes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The league I co-commish was thinking about adding that in. Point #1 is really helpful as we were considering just having it available for the month before the draft each year, but it looks like that's not an option. There was concern that it would get confusing when trading picks for the following season if owners left the league. 

7 hours ago, straightfire118 said:

When are yahoo's pro leagues coming out?

Was just going to post this.  Usually like doing 2-3 of their cash leagues but I guess they are waiting for the last minute this season.  

7 hours ago, straightfire118 said:

When are yahoo's pro leagues coming out?

Important dates for Yahoo Fantasy Baseball

Keep track of this year's important dates in Yahoo Fantasy Baseball. The Fantasy Baseball season follows the same schedule as the 2021 Major League Baseball regular season.

The 2021 season runs from April 1, 2021 through October 10, 2021.

Registration and draft dates

Team and league registration is open from January 28, 2021 until July 11, 2021.

First day for live drafts - February 1, 2021

Last day for live drafts - June 27, 2021

First day for live draft lobby - March 4, 2021

Last day for live draft lobby - April 15, 2021

This is the only thing I have seen with March 4th being a day for live draft lobby's opening up.  Not sure that means anything for cash leagues but that's all the info I have been able to find.

For Yahoo keeper leagues:

We had an issue come up of an owner picking up players 1 and 2 days after the championship sunday in the past and trading those guys for draft picks as a few good but injured SPs were dropped in the final week of the season.

Does anyone know how long free agents are able to be picked up (after champ sunday) in Yahoo keeper leagues?  

12 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

For Yahoo keeper leagues:

We had an issue come up of an owner picking up players 1 and 2 days after the championship sunday in the past and trading those guys for draft picks as a few good but injured SPs were dropped in the final week of the season.

Does anyone know how long free agents are able to be picked up (after champ sunday) in Yahoo keeper leagues?  

I’m not sure, but in our Yahoo league, no transactions are allowed after the final day of the season. Any waiver claim or attempt at a FA  acquisition will be reversed. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I’m not sure, but in our Yahoo league, no transactions are allowed after the final day of the season. Any waiver claim or attempt at a FA  acquisition will be reversed. 

I have noticed that in most leagues.  This is my only keeper league and it didn't lock, so maybe they give you longer than a redraft...

3 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

I have noticed that in most leagues.  This is my only keeper league and it didn't lock, so maybe they give you longer than a redraft...

The league I’m talking about is a keeper league, and I’m not sure if it locks or not. We’ve never had anyone test the rule, lol.

4 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

Leagues all have the same mechanics.

What happened once with me in a dynasty league was some guy I wanted wouldn't clear waivers until the day after the season ended.  I put in a claim the night before for the heck of it.  In the spring I had the guy on my roster though he didn't show after teams were locked for the year.  Just when they went down for the database updates and came back up and there he was on my roster, haha.

But another more common explanation is in private h2h leagues you can select when playoffs start and end and some leagues choose to finish their championship finals the next to last week of the season so half their star payers won't be sitting on a bench like MLB teams tend to do with their regulars in real life then "resting" them for the playoffs etc.

In that case the league remains open until the last day of the Yahoo season period like every other Yahoo league.  Even if you can't play games that week.  So that last week you still can make all the drops and adds you want up to your league's limit per week.  Which is a good thing.  Gives you one more week to look over your roster and see who you will want to keep or not and if anyone is out there in the free agent pool you prefer.  Even make a quick trade.  Wonderful week getting you set up for spring.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What happened once with me in a dynasty league was some guy I wanted wouldn't clear waivers until the day after the season ended.  I put in a claim the night before for the heck of it.  In the spring I had the guy on my roster though he didn't show after teams were locked for the year.  Just when they went down for the database updates and came back up and there he was on my roster, haha.

But another more common explanation is in private h2h leagues you can select when playoffs start and end and some leagues choose to finish their championship finals the next to last week of the season so half their star payers won't be sitting on a bench like MLB teams tend to do with their regulars in real life then "resting" them for the playoffs etc.

In that case the league remains open until the last day of the Yahoo season period like every other Yahoo league.  Even if you can't play games that week.  So that last week you still can make all the drops and adds you want up to your league's limit per week.  Which is a good thing.  Gives you one more week to look over your roster and see who you will want to keep or not and if anyone is out there in the free agent pool you prefer.  Even make a quick trade.  Wonderful week getting you set up for spring.

Must have been something like this.  Usually people don't care after the season but I guess in a keeper people should!

Shouldn’t this thread just be called Yahoo help and troubleshooting? Yahoo vent and rant? Maybe Yahoo anonymous? For as much as people love to defend Yahoo, it’s the only format consistently discussed/vented about here and the fuel for me to immediately reject out of hand anyone in my leagues wondering why we don’t switch our dynasties from CBS to Yahoo.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Shouldn’t this thread just be called Yahoo help and troubleshooting? Yahoo vent and rant? Maybe Yahoo anonymous? For as much as people love to defend Yahoo, it’s the only format consistently discussed/vented about here and the fuel for me to immediately reject out of hand anyone in my leagues wondering why we don’t switch our dynasties from CBS to Yahoo.

As someone who is both in Yahoo and CBS keepers, I loathe CBS. Horrible platform that I wholeheartedly hate. And I’d immediately reject out of hand anyone in my league suggesting we move to CBS. I’ve been running a Yahoo keeper for 11 years and have run across very few problems with the platform itself. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I could be wrong, but  I think Yahoo actually allows you to turn that particular setting on or off  - whether or not rosters lock once the playoffs begin.  EDIT: The answer is... kind of.  They allow the commissioner to lock transactions for eliminated teams once the regular season ends.  Playoff teams obviously could still add/drop.  

Edited by OaksterDan
6 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Well I hear about as much praise and/or complaints ( lousy phone app) about Fantrax here.  ESPN used to be commented on a ton but they have fallen off the cliff after last year's "upgrade" it seems.  CBS has always seemed to have less people playing on it that post here compared to the other three but it is at least it is getting some comments this season.

Yahoo getting so many posts just shows how many of us still want to play on it and probably always will.  You criticize because you care and want improvements.  Not that you want to jump ship.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ray Zorback said:

March 5th, and still no cash leagues up at yahoo.

I like most things about yahoo more than the others, but they are in real need of some competent management.

https://twitter.com/YahooFantasyCC/status/1367843098273931272?s=20

Still not estimated date either 😡🤬

Hopefully early next week I can't see them getting it in today nor do I see them doing any work over the weekend.

46 minutes ago, Ray Zorback said:

March 5th, and still no cash leagues up at yahoo.

I like most things about yahoo more than the others, but they are in real need of some competent management.

I see posts about Yahoo's cash leagues...pardon my ignorance, please, but what are they? Is it a mechanism where Yahoo holds league dues for you and then pays out once the season is over? I run a Yahoo keeper league, but we just use PP. 

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I see posts about Yahoo's cash leagues...pardon my ignorance, please, but what are they? Is it a mechanism where Yahoo holds league dues for you and then pays out once the season is over? I run a Yahoo keeper league, but we just use PP. 

You just pay a fee to Yahoo, through PayPal or whatever, they have different buy in amounts then you are randomly assigned a season long H2H league. They might do roto not sure. Top 3 in league get paid at end of year.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

9 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

You just pay a fee to Yahoo, through PayPal or whatever, they have different buy in amounts then you are randomly assigned a season long H2H league. They might do roto not sure. Top 3 in league get paid at end of year.

Yeah, they take 1 entry for rake so it is better then most sites that take between 10 and 20% if you're looking for extra action. I enjoy it for the season long in MLB, NFL and NBA as well as NFL Best ball and DFS you can use whatever you have in your yahoo wallet for all of the aforementioned games.

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

They offer pro leagues (now called prize league) and private cash leagues. As said above the pro leagues are public money leagues in which yahoo keeps some of the money. They start at $20 and go up to $500 maybe more, roto and h2h.

They also offer private cash leagues. I run several of these. You can set up the league however you want, settings, roster, payouts...and yahoo handles the money, collecting and paying out for free. 

13 hours ago, Ray Zorback said:

They offer pro leagues (now called prize league) and private cash leagues. As said above the pro leagues are public money leagues in which yahoo keeps some of the money. They start at $20 and go up to $500 maybe more, roto and h2h.

They also offer private cash leagues. I run several of these. You can set up the league however you want, settings, roster, payouts...and yahoo handles the money, collecting and paying out for free. 

I really do enjoy their private cash leagues but this is getting a little ridiculous with how late it's getting.  I mean with less then a month until the season you would think they are missing out on tons of money since they take a small rake.  

• Like 1

Guess it's just going to be my 2 home league cash leagues this season.  Was going to attempt some Fantrax cash leagues but I guess you are not allowed in NJ.  I can play online poker and bet on sports but am not allowed to play fantasy sports for money!  Makes a lot of sense.