NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo!, CBS, ESPN, Fantrax, etc..

On 3/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, JCD said:

Finally.
Great job by Yahoo not changing the rankings seven times before season start, especially on draft day, like so many times in the past, so people actually can prepare in advance.
👍 👍 👍

Well, forget it,
They managed to screw up the rankings for the weekend drafts, so that no preparation can go unpunished.
Unbelievable.
👎👎👎

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yahoo could/should have done a lot of things over the years.  They never do.  You'll enjoy life a lot more once you accept that it's a free platform that's worth every penny you pay for it.

Yahoo is so terrible. Cute to see people write so much to defend it. Enjoy. 

Posted Images

I'm trying CBS (normally did Yahoo) for the first time this year. It seems CBS has allowed me to make an extra player pick-up? Max roster size should be 23 players, but I currently have 24 players. I need to put Eloy and Seth Lugo on the IL but they are not eligible yet. I really need to pick up their replacements. Can I just add more players and be like 2+ players over maximum and just wait to put them on the IL when they become eligible in a day or two? Does anyone know the penalties? I asked my league-mates but we're all new to CBS.

CBS.png

CBS allows this (always has) because technically your unused IL spots actually increase your total roster size (in the roster max settings section).

You can wait it out until opening day when these teams actually submit the IL designations.

• Thanks 1

If you have that red warning on your team page when games count you won't get credit for any stats that day. I also make a rule in my CBS keeper leagues to stop you from doing what you want to do right now. Since there are no games yet there is no penalty for having an illegal roster like you have right now. So what stops people from picking up 300 extra players and every RP from every team to hoard them to see who gets the closer gig and wait until opening day to cut them? Why you must have a LEGAL roster until opening day. If you choose to have an illegal one after that then so be it. You don't get stats each day.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

If you have that red warning on your team page when games count you won't get credit for any stats that day. I also make a rule in my CBS keeper leagues to stop you from doing what you want to do right now. Since there are no games yet there is no penalty for having an illegal roster like you have right now. So what stops people from picking up 300 extra players and every RP from every team to hoard them to see who gets the closer gig and wait until opening day to cut them? Why you must have a LEGAL roster until opening day. If you choose to have an illegal one after that then so be it. You don't get stats each day.

Why wouldn't the system just prevent the pickups? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

Never has. If you choose to be over then you get punished with no stats that day. They give red writing warning on top of your team page when it is not legal.  As you can see in his picture above.

Just now, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Never has. If you choose to be over then you get punished with no stats that day. They give red writing warning on top of your team page when it is not legal.  As you can see in his picture above.

That's absurd. Pre-season you can just pickup as many players as you like without penalty?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

It does. It will not allow you to exceed whatever your total roster limits are set at (starters/reserves/IL/and minors if applicable)...

6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It does. It will not allow you to exceed whatever your total roster limits are set at (starters/reserves/IL/and minors if applicable)...

So if you have 5 bench spots and on any particular day you want to sit someone vs a tough pitcher and not start the bench player either they would deem your roster illegal since you would have 6 on the bench?

8 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

So if you have 5 bench spots and on any particular day you want to sit someone vs a tough pitcher and not start the bench player either they would deem your roster illegal since you would have 6 on the bench?

That I can not be totally certain of (as I do not play daily)...but would assume it would be determined by the commish settings if you are required to actually start/field a filled out lineup. A red warning at the top does NOT automatically mean you will not accrue points for that day/period. All of these situations are determined by how things are set up. CBS commish product offers more customization than any other site--but there is nuance when setting everything too. It takes time to learn and requires a solid and versed commish at the helm (imo).

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

I'm trying CBS (normally did Yahoo) for the first time this year. It seems CBS has allowed me to make an extra player pick-up? Max roster size should be 23 players, but I currently have 24 players. I need to put Eloy and Seth Lugo on the IL but they are not eligible yet. I really need to pick up their replacements. Can I just add more players and be like 2+ players over maximum and just wait to put them on the IL when they become eligible in a day or two? Does anyone know the penalties? I asked my league-mates but we're all new to CBS.

CBS.png

Did you get the extra player in a trade???

I know in the one football league I play in at CBS you can't add anyone but if you acquire a extra body(ies) in a trade you don't have to trim down until game time.

I agree with most that this is stupid but to my knowledge only possible in a trade.

And sitting someone which makes no sense in football (or pts league of any sport) or playing the game with 1 too many players would result in a 0.

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

Yes. You would have to put a different bench pitcher in your active lineup. Pick one not pitching that day. 

I have been doing daily for many years on cbs commissioner. I can go right now and claim 20 extra players on my team. It will say you have 20 extra guys on my bench and I will not receive stats for the day in red writing until I fix my roster. Why like I said above I enforce a rule that until the season starts you must always have a legal roster to stop people from picking up 50 extra guys waiting for opening day. Then if you want a ilegal roster on any given day so be it. You wont get stats that day.

Edited by FantasyGeek2018
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Yes. You would have to put a different bench pitcher in your active lineup. Pick one not pitching that day. 

I have been doing daily for many years on cbs commissioner. I can go right now and claim 20 extra players on my team. It will say you have 20 extra guys on my bench and I will not receive stats for the day in red writing until I fix my roster. Why like I said above I enforce a rule that until the season starts you must always have a legal roster to stop people from picking up 50 extra guys waiting for opening day. Then if you want a ilegal roster on any given day so be it. You wont get stats that day.

You have been very insightful with all these CBS stipulation explanations, thank you. Two questions though:

1) Must I field a "competitive team" at all times on CBS? In years past (on Yahoo) I would sometimes bench my entire pitching staff because I already hit the minimum innings pitched for the week and did not want to give away ERA, WHIP, etc. But if I do that (bench my entire pitching staff), all those pitchers would become "reserves" and I would have that red warning at the top of my screen and my entire team frozen for the day? Offense too?

2) You can make add/drops just minutes from first pitch, same day? Very different from Yahoo!

32 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

You have been very insightful with all these CBS stipulation explanations, thank you. Two questions though:

1) Must I field a "competitive team" at all times on CBS? In years past (on Yahoo) I would sometimes bench my entire pitching staff because I already hit the minimum innings pitched for the week and did not want to give away ERA, WHIP, etc. But if I do that (bench my entire pitching staff), all those pitchers would become "reserves" and I would have that red warning at the top of my screen and my entire team frozen for the day? Offense too?

2) You can make add/drops just minutes from first pitch, same day? Very different from Yahoo!

Yahoo's default is Daily - Tomorrow...  If you have it changed to Daily - Today, you can make a roster move minutes before the first pitch of that game...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

What Posty said.  It is up to your commish in Yahoo to set the add/drops time for the league.  Maybe your old commish dropped the ball and just kept the "casual league" default setting in your old private league.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, Sidearmer said:

I think it would have been nice to have a choice. For me personally I like FAB better. When I was in college I would have said I like free agents better where I was able to follow the news constantly and take advantage. FAB removes that advantage from some who don't have that ability.

What if you get a last minute injury and want to add someone off the waivers? You have to wait until the next day to do so smh. 

4 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

What if you get a last minute injury and want to add someone off the waivers? You have to wait until the next day to do so smh. 

Just pick up a free agent immediately instead.  You can't pick up anyone still on waivers any quicker no matter the system.

As for waiting until next day or not that depends on what your commish set your private league for in Yahoo. 

But better still?  Draft a good bench. On Yahoo with all the multiple eligibilities you can cover any position pretty easy with one of your bench guys.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

1- Yes you must have a full lineup in your starting lineup or you wont get credit for any stats that day. No offensive stats either. Illegal roster is what cbs call it. 

2- We have our settings set so that as soon as one game starts in a day any pickup you make goes for the next day. You can still change your lineups until 5 mins before each game starts for a player but any FA pickups need to be before first game of the day starts. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone else have your Yahoo league show up with a "Request Denied" when you try to access it?  On the phone app it has an Error 999 showing. 

Just checking with others to see if this is a Yahoo failure or if my access got messed up while trying to load my line-ups a few days ahead before I put in a work ticket.

Edit:  Never mind.  It's back.  Probably the night desk guy fell asleep and into a server knocking it off line.  🙃

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 2

Forgive my ignorance--I don't know how this works:

Does anyone know when players will be shifted to an IL designation, specifically in Yahoo?  Will that happen sometime today, or does it typically happen on Opening Day?  

Voit, Framber, and Sonny Gray's DTD status is friggin' killing me.  Everyone else in my league is making out like a bandit on the Waiver Wire, and I don't have anyone droppable to snag the guys I want.  

Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Does anyone know when players will be shifted to an IL designation, specifically in Yahoo?  Will that happen sometime today, or does it typically happen on Opening Day?  

Voit, Framber, and Sonny Gray's DTD status is friggin' killing me.  Everyone else in my league is making out like a bandit on the Waiver Wire, and I don't have anyone droppable to snag the guys I want.  

Thanks!!

Yahoo won't do it until the MLB team officially places them on the IL.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Thanks!!

It has to be done by the club first.  If Yahoo or any other platform "guessed" that a player would be going on the IL then it gets into gray areas where some player may or may not be put on it and not just the obvious ones.  Where do you draw the line?  It would get real sketchy real fast.  So no, a platform can't place them on the IL until it is official from the club.

I own Voit too but this is a case of "damn Yankees" and not "damn Yahoo."  And yes it is really really aggravating waiting for NY to do the obvious as you see the replacement(s) you wanted in the free agent pool go to other teams before you can get one of them.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2