NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo!, CBS, ESPN, Fantrax, etc..

8 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Yahoo is lazy, but sometimes the lazy thing is also the right thing.  2020 was its own weird entity that we should want  to have as little impact on the fantasy game in 2021 as possible.  Pro-rating positional thresholds doesn't address all of the ways in which a shortened season made things weird.

Well yeah but some of the stuff is glaring you will have to admit.  The new, everyday starting SS with the Rangers has catcher eligibility and could well steal 20 bases this season while playing backstop on your fantasy team even though he only caught a handful of games as the 3rd string catcher back in 2019

And the best of all?  Lourdes Gurriel Jr retains 2B eligibility.  You all remember that was the position that he got the yips over and was sent back down to the minors in 2019 to become an OFer instead.  But he won't have the yips for you at 2B.  Haha.

7 hours ago, duke of queens said:

The fact that my team doesn't show on the app and only on the desktop during the preseason just boggles my mind. 

Why?  My teams are all up on my laptop.  We even made some pre-draft trades today with the commish moving the players around manually.  Did your commish fail to open your league?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yahoo could/should have done a lot of things over the years.  They never do.  You'll enjoy life a lot more once you accept that it's a free platform that's worth every penny you pay for it.

Yahoo is so terrible. Cute to see people write so much to defend it. Enjoy. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well yeah but some of the stuff is glaring you will have to admit.  The new, everyday starting SS with the Rangers has catcher eligibility and could well steal 20 bases this season while playing backstop on your fantasy team even though he only caught a handful of games as the 3rd string catcher back in 2019

And the best of all?  Lourdes Gurriel Jr retains 2B eligibility.  You all remember that was the position that he got the yips over and was sent back down to the minors in 2019 to become an OFer instead.  But he won't have the yips for you at 2B.  Haha.

Why?  My teams are all up on my laptop.  We even made some pre-draft trades today with the commish moving the players around manually.  Did your commish fail to open your league?

I'm talking about the app not the desktop. Are your teams on your phone? Fyi I am the commish. The league is open.

Just now, duke of queens said:

I'm talking about the app not the desktop. Are your teams on your phone? Fyi I am the commish. The league is open.

Yeah but no one listed currently.  But app hadn't been updated yet like the computer one so that is probably what is happening for the rosters right now.  They were up before so just went down. 

The app chat is up and working.  Having about a hundred comments, trade talks etc all day long on it.  That is usually the only feature I use much at all on the app unless I'm away from my laptop.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah but no one listed currently.  But app hadn't been updated yet like the computer one so that is probably what is happening for the rosters right now.  They were up before so just went down. 

The app chat is up and working.  Having about a hundred comments, trade talks etc all day long on it.  That is usually the only feature I use much at all on the app unless I'm away from my laptop.

They are never listed is my point. Not last year, year before. Not until draft is done.

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They are never listed is my point. Not last year, year before. Not until draft is done.

Ah okay.  Did not know that.  Shows how often I look at the roster on my phone.  As I say I just use the fantasy baseball chat feature.

1 hour ago, enfuego360 said:

While I highly doubt that this is true, I just found this on ESPN's support Twitter page.

Untitled.jpg.8a702b1d92bcbd8e5cd03488bc211bcd.jpg

LOL at "we don't have an exact date" and "will likely be" wording.

And whoa, more than a month after Yahoo opened?!?!

Lucky for them spring training may be postponed close to a month now if Players Association accepts MLB's offer over this weekend so ESPN dynasty and keeper teams have time for trades etc opening as they are over a month behind the other platforms. 

And the etc refers mainly to having to replace owners that don't come back after Yahoo, Fantrax, CBS etc already recruited all their replacements weeks and weeks earlier and only the scraps are left.  Recruiting replacements, especially decent ones, is the hardest thing about private leagues.  Good luck to ESPN commishs.

As to spring training and Opening Day POSSIBLY being pushed back -- Players Association would have to approve -- I posted those details in the 2021 Offseason thread.   https://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/827213-mlb-2020-21-offseason-trades-fa-signings-and-changes/

• Haha 1
On 1/29/2021 at 12:03 PM, charlesmvaron said:

So basically Yaboo is admitting to being lazy. Got it. 

Agree, they always take the lazy way. I do agree with them that last 'year' shouldn't count as a 'year'. The correct way to do it would be to take the last 162 games, the 60 from '20 and the last 102 from '19. But no site would take the time to do that.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Y! mocks suck w/o chat. Glad to still have it in custom league drafts - but damn.

Even in the fka YPro Leagues now called YPrize leagues the chat isn't available in drafts.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but it's related.

As mentioned Yahoo is keeping all previous eligibility, which means there are a ton of players with multiple positions. As I'm working on my preparations for the season, I will be trying to group players by position. However, it's not easy to decide how to group those with multiple positions, so maybe it would help to know the player's primary position (or default as currently known). Is there somewhere that I can find this information? It doesn't have to be perfect, as it simply would allow me to group the players more easily.

Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, RallyRally said:

As mentioned Yahoo is keeping all previous eligibility, which means there are a ton of players with multiple positions. As I'm working on my preparations for the season, I will be trying to group players by position. However, it's not easy to decide how to group those with multiple positions, so maybe it would help to know the player's primary position (or default as currently known). Is there somewhere that I can find this information? It doesn't have to be perfect, as it simply would allow me to group the players more easily.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to see their past numbers at various positions, not always perfect but perhaps a help, go to Baseball Reference and enter their name and scroll down to the Standard Fielding box where game starts and game appearances at each position are listed over the player's entire career. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/

Baseball Reference is something most people already have bookmarked as one of the go to places so apologies if you had it bookmarked already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you want to see their past numbers at various positions, not always perfect but perhaps a help, go to Baseball Reference and enter their name and scroll down to the Standard Fielding box where game starts and game appearances at each position are listed over the player's entire career. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/

Baseball Reference is something most people already have bookmarked as one of the go to places so apologies if you had it bookmarked already.

Thanks. Though that's quite a bit of time to search one by one. But I just thought of checking the depth charts on RosterResource, which is still manual but should be a bit quicker going team by team. Or I suppose if a site did their rankings by position and didn't duplicate then I could use that as another option.

Edited by RallyRally
5 hours ago, RallyRally said:

Thanks in advance.

Best bet is see where each player is ADP'd at each respective position and go from there. In Y! that's players/stats/remining games projected/current. 

Whichever position he's ADP'd highest at = likely the minimum you have to spend to get him regardless of position.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Best bet is see where each player is ADP'd at each respective position and go from there. In Y! that's players/stats/remining games projected/current. 

Whichever position he's ADP'd highest at = likely the minimum you have to spend to get him regardless of position.

Unfortunately it duplicates so I would still have to go back and forth and cross off what's been covered already. I have all the players' eligible positions on my list already so just trying to decide on which one to pick so I can group them. Rankings etc. will come later. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040477972-ESPN-Fantasy-Baseball-Update-2021?linkId=110629322

I believe this is the latest news on ESPN opening. It actually made it to their site. On 2/2, the people on ESPN's support Twitter account said that the site would open up after pitchers and catchers report. Next day they said by the end of the week or early next week. Well, the end of the week has come and gone and no 2021 season. So I guess early next week. Although, are they opening up the site early next week or shutting down to update the site. That would still put it another week away if they shut down first.

I guess typical ESPN. And I am sure even though there was a delay, no new features... Or fixing the features they broke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody else who is on Fantrax is having issues with player positions for this upcoming year.    Some of them are are from like 2 years ago.   I have contacted Fantrax about this and their response was......

Position updates can come at anytime, but generally no positions would be taken away at this point, only added to. Unless there is an obvious change that needs to be made, such as Hudson and Means, which we have updated.

This is after I told them about Dakota Hudson and John Means which still had a RP eligibility.    Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue and what they are doing about it.  

8 hours ago, enfuego360 said:

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040477972-ESPN-Fantasy-Baseball-Update-2021?linkId=110629322

I believe this is the latest news on ESPN opening. It actually made it to their site. On 2/2, the people on ESPN's support Twitter account said that the site would open up after pitchers and catchers report. Next day they said by the end of the week or early next week. Well, the end of the week has come and gone and no 2021 season. So I guess early next week. Although, are they opening up the site early next week or shutting down to update the site. That would still put it another week away if they shut down first.

I guess typical ESPN. And I am sure even though there was a delay, no new features... Or fixing the features they broke.

Thanks for the link! That’s the most concrete info yet, as broad as it is. They’ve been all over the place with estimates. It was posted a few pages back that they were looking at late February/early March (!?). Based on the link I’m guessing they open up this coming week or early the following week.

8 hours ago, enfuego360 said:

I don’t think it really matter when each platform opens. Whether it’s the last week of January or the first or second week of February.

Patience is the key, who needs to get a low league number or start making fantasy baseball trades in January. my fantasy dynasty team doesn’t need my attention in January.

It’s all about perfect timing and as long as things are set right and running at the beginning of March, Gary is a happy. Last year was a bummer we all prepared we drafted made trades and boom boom it was all thrown away. We were left holding the bag wondering will we ever see any baseball. I feel for those who bought these algorithms spreadsheets, books became a gold member at rotowire rotoworld etc. 

I will show patience this year, not going the route of last year  .... we started multiple slow drafts in February on couchmanagers.
Did anybody else start these slow drafts early trying to get the fix. 

Well shakestreet, you have the patience all you want.  The rest of us are really REALLY glad our platforms are up and running and trades are happening and baseball chatter is filling up the chat apps.  Everyone in our leagues seems happy to get going and shine some light onto life again after a dark, dismal and covid-filled winter.

• Like 2