NBC Sports Edge Forums

Willie Cauley-Stein 2020-2021 Outlook

I hate to do this... But he lured me in making this topic after his first game starting. While the minutes were a bit lower than I hoped for, her are some key notes to take away:

1) He finished the end of the 4th quarter
2) Dallas won after Carlisle needed a shake up (Powell and Kleber are not "the way")
3) There was that preseason game where he was making 3s (I believe @perkinsfor3 showed the video) and while that is not something expect from him at this point in his career, him starting for close to a double-double with some stocks (while KP is gone at least) might be serviceable.

If you are easily tempted by the "Boucher/Robert Williams needs to start" conversation, this would be right up your alley. Except this time, he started. And won.

Thoughts? Throw garbage & an assortment of rotten produce at me for making this post?

It might work? Granted this is a bit far fetch, but look at Turner whose a stretch big ... allowing Sabonis to dominate anyone in the paint as he's mainly in isolation... WCS is no sabonis... however it may be a good experiment.. however might just be a lucky game followed by duds.. i'd definitely give WCS another game? I didn't see the game tonight, so I can't judge.  

39 minutes ago, mtx said:

How long will this last until KP returns is my question..... clearly an experiment because coach has nothing else to try !

Right, but they never really starter Kp at center have they? 

1 hour ago, mtx said:

How long will this last until KP returns is my question..... clearly an experiment because coach has nothing else to try !

They had Powell at the 5 last year and KP starting at the 4. Powell just doesn't look like he's recovered from that injury (it felt rushed since it wasn't even a year before he came back).

It's an interesting situation. Basically, there's a real chance he is the starting C. He at least bought himself one more audition tonight.

A starting WCS, with Luka on the team passing to him for a lob or two per game, can go 11/8 with a steal and a block, on 55% FG%. That's rosterable in 12-teamers. Just don't expect any offseason development from him. WCS is what he is.

• Like 3

Another thing to take note of is his contract is a team option for next year & expires after that. He's almost in the same boat as Olynyk in a sense that they're playing for their next big paycheck.

18 hours ago, dino10kk said:

Biggest knucklehead in the league.....

He is high on the list of knuckleheads. Those face tats alone are serious signals of bad decision making. 

But seriously, there are a few points going his way:

1) Powell might not be right after the Achilles tear. That alone could make Powell a backup from now on. 

2) KP may play even less C than before. It’s clear KP should avoid banging if he is to stay on the court. They pretty much need a banger just getting rebounds and occasional putback’s and lobs. 

So that’s it. WCS is a big body fully capable of doing his job. 

Yeah last year was the first year KP played more C than PF. I think the injury risk is too great, even if it is a more powerful lineup. They might just be able to run that in the playoffs or sparingly in between like AD in the Lakers.

FYI AD did 60% of his time in the PF position last year and this year is starting off at 91%. So I am guessing it's a better way to preserve your star players.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 3:03 PM, rob0403 said:

Yeah last year was the first year KP played more C than PF. I think the injury risk is too great, even if it is a more powerful lineup. They might just be able to run that in the playoffs or sparingly in between like AD in the Lakers.

FYI AD did 60% of his time in the PF position last year and this year is starting off at 91%. So I am guessing it's a better way to preserve your star players.

Not to hijack the thread, but I agree with this. When the Lakers let both decent Cs walk, I briefly imagined AD would be playing more at C. But that turned out to be pure pixie dust.

Dallas has to see this. If anything, KP has proven he is even more delicate than AD, or nearly any big man in the league. He is a truly ephemeral unicorn.

not surprised, having to guard Jokic who is probably the craftiest center in generation. But what's good is that he was there to close out the game i believe or atleast he played some in overtime which is a good sign to me

With the news of Kristaps possibly returning for the upcoming game, does this make Willie a drop in deeper leagues? Or do they slide KP into the 4 like how they started off in the beginning of last year? I just read this article below and figured it's probably time to cut bait on WCS if they start James Johnson at the 4 and KP at the 5.

https://www.mavs.com/mavs-com-porzingislikesitbetterplayingcenter/#:~:text=MIAMI – After what he's been,liking than playing power forward.****

That article is from last Feb. WCS started at C and played well in a blowout win. He will start at C vs Milwaukee for sure. I think WCS may start from now on.

2 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

That article is from last Feb. WCS started at C and played well in a blowout win. He will start at C vs Milwaukee for sure. I think WCS may start from now on.

He'll be an okay short term pickup (Powell, DFS, Kleber are in protocol). When everyone's healthy, he'll probably be back to 18-20 min. I got KP for 31 min after he knocks off rust, around 16 for Powell, 19 for Kleber, 10 for JJ, 20 for WCS.