NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2021 Outlook

22 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He will be back on Monday and hit 4 home runs

Well, you got the first part right. Hoping you nail the 2nd part also...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to put a positive spin on this situation, if at some point a South African crime lord chains him in a straitjacket and tosses him off a dock into the ocean, he'll be able to easily dislocate hi

If a fan catches his detached arm in the crowd, will he autograph it?

Posted Images

On June 26, with the two IL stints already served, FTJ is at 25 homers to go with a .293 average, 1.079 OPS, and 15 stolen bases. There may not be a safer pick in MLB, considering you only need this guy to play half a season for his production to be worth his draft slot.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

On June 26, with the two IL stints already served, FTJ is at 25 homers to go with a .293 average, 1.079 OPS, and 15 stolen bases. There may not be a safer pick in MLB, considering you only need this guy to play half a season for his production to be worth his draft slot.

He’s going to be one of the riskier first round draft picks for the rest of his career? Until he gets surgery to fix his shoulder issue.  He’ll always be one swing away from having zero value.  I’m sure someone will take on the risk but I always go safe with my first pick. (This isn’t even taking into account he’s very injury prone outside of that risk)

Edited by Fbaseballgod
10 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

To answer your question, no.

Lmao it’s fine to say he’s good enough to justify taking on the risk with the pick, but you can’t ignore reality and deny the risk altogether 

1 minute ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Lmao it’s fine to say he’s good enough to justify taking on the risk with the pick, but you can’t ignore reality and deny the risk altogether 

I merely think you are grossly overstating the risk. 

3 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

I merely think you are grossly overstating the risk. 

This year he “slightly” tore his labrum.  They decline to give him surgery to fix the issue long term.  They were worried enough about injuring it again that they told him to modify his swing to extend with both hands (PS is it just me or has he stopped doing that?)  If he aggravates a tear to the labrum it’s obviously very bad.   

On 4/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Just read this on The Athletic (fantasy inside injuries), here are a few snippets from the article, it is pretty comprehensive-

"Fernando Tatís has been placed on the 10 day IL but hopes to return soon after he is eligible. This isn’t a smart plan for a few reasons. Tatis suffered a left shoulder subluxation, meaning it partially dislocated. An MRI showed a partial labral tear, which is a common occurrence when this happens. While he won’t shut things down and undergo surgery now, it is inevitable. The labrum is important for shoulder stability and acts as a cushion in the joint. So yes, I’m very concerned about this injury."

"Tatís’ shoulder problems date back to his time in the minor leagues. Toward the end of Spring Training his shoulder subluxed, and then this week it happened again. When this happens the shoulder is unstable and becomes more susceptible to future dislocations. While it’s possible to play through a labral tear, this is an injury that won’t truly get better until surgery. If Tatís wants to try to delay surgery and make it through the season he needs to spend a lot longer than 10 days on the IL so he can really focus on strengthening the muscles surrounding the shoulder. That left shoulder will be incredibly vulnerable, and the only way to reduce his risk of another subluxation is to get stronger. That won’t happen in the next few weeks."

"The other problem with Tatís trying to return quickly is that he can cause more damage to the shoulder joint. Right now he is dealing with a partial labral tear. He will be especially vulnerable when he takes a big swing or dives and lands on his left side. His shoulder is going to be unstable due to the labrum tear. If it pops out again he could cause a more severe tear or a new injury such as a rotator cuff tear or damage to the capsule. These injuries don’t come with great long-term results. If Tatís’ injury is limited to just a labral tear, he should be able to return in 6-9 months without any trouble down the road."

Oh this is a great post that covers it.  They even called him injuring himself when diving damn.  Shoutout to this author 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is so disappointing. No one wants to talk about this amazing 22 year old who is doing things almost no one has ever done. Yadda yadda injury talk instead of admiration he deserves. You don't deserve him. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BEERSMOKE said:

This thread is so disappointing. No one wants to talk about this amazing 22 year old who is doing things almost no one has ever done. Yadda yadda injury talk instead of admiration he deserves. You don't deserve him. 

What’s there to say? He’s a stud, that was drafted as a stud, doing stud things. 

• Like 1
On 7/6/2021 at 1:20 AM, BEERSMOKE said:

You're right though. This board is getting rife with these pointless contrarian arguments; someone wanted to say that Tatis Jr. was a top 5 player ROS. They also wanted to say he was still an injury risk in the same breath, its bears mentioning for what its worth, OK.  Then it descends into a back and forth over how much of an injury risk he still is exactly and yadda yadda what are we even talking about anymore. Meanwhile, down on the field, he's raking, and we should be enjoying the ride as fans. Some of those who are railing against the breakout performers sure seem like they don't have shares and are just having sour grapes as managers. 

As for his injury, maybe we aren't discussing enough what apparent changes he's made to the swing-he seems to be swinging one-handed now and with less brute force, which is going to be a good thing long term-we already saw what happened with that earlier. His results have been just as amazing, and he could get some other injury, but the shoulder isn't a great concern for the 2nd half. He's a top 3 guy in just about every league next year. 

• Like 2
On 7/5/2021 at 10:20 PM, BEERSMOKE said:

Hey I tried a bit ago and some smooth-brains couldn't deal with it ;)

Game for game, he is easily the best hitter in fantasy baseball. Easily. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Hey I tried a bit ago and some smooth-brains couldn't deal with it ;)

Game for game, he is easily the best hitter in fantasy baseball. Easily. 

Yes, both him, Acuna and Alvarez played ~10 fewer games than most in the first half, so each guy could have even better numbers. I expect Acuna to miss a handful of games in the second half, but I think *pray* Alvarez and FTJ are going to be out there everyday more or less.