NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2021 Outlook

5 minutes ago, Overlord said:

How the hell did he hurt his left shoulder anyway?  That slide earlier in the game?

I'm actually wondering if that isn't a typo.

Didnt Kris Bryant hurt his left shoulder by taking too many swings in the cage? 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to put a positive spin on this situation, if at some point a South African crime lord chains him in a straitjacket and tosses him off a dock into the ocean, he'll be able to easily dislocate hi

If a fan catches his detached arm in the crowd, will he autograph it?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Better than Right elbow or shoulder .

If he was a pitcher.  That shoulder affects power if it’s serious.  Not that anyone knows the extent of it until it’s examined,   

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Too early to label tatis injury prone?

I think for many people, absolutely it's too early. 

For many, many people.

**But not for me.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

If he was a pitcher.  That shoulder affects power if it’s serious.  Not that anyone knows the extent of it until it’s examined,   

Still better for a RH thrower to injure the opposite arm/shoulder. No question it could still affect him though.

2 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Still better for a RH thrower to injure the opposite arm/shoulder. No question it could still affect him though.

It may be better in regards to throwing, but injuring your left shoulder is much worse when it comes to swinging a bat (for righties).

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Overlord said:

It may be better in regards to throwing, but injuring your left shoulder is much worse when it comes to swinging a bat (for righties).

I dont think it's worse (Maybe equally bad) for hitting, I have arthritis in my right shoulder (throwing shoulder) and I cant even swing a bat.  Cody Bellinger had surgery on his non-throwing shoulder in late November (Probably worst case scenario) he's playing games again now. Had it been his left shoulder I doubt we'd see him back for a couple more months. Add in that fact that Tatis is a SS and he would likely be out even longer. 

Edited by RoadApple
Spelling
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, RoadApple said:

I have arthritis in my right shoulder (throwing shoulder) and I cant even swing a bat. 

Downgrades RoadApple on my draft board accordingly ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
23 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Better than Right elbow or shoulder .

Shoulder issues for hitters no bueno. Right up there with wrist issues. Hopefully it's just minor

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

This shoulder thing screams another Cody Bellinger situation to me. As dynamic as he is, I think taking him over any of the top 5 (Betts, Soto, Acuna, DeGrom, Turner) is a mistake

I don't want to be overly panicked but I honestly do not like this and am drafting at #5 in a big money league next week. I'll be looking in another direction as I fear on the 31st you'll see the Padres put him on the DL stating that he's completely fine and would play if this were the playoffs but are being extra cautious with their $342 million dollar man and the long 162 game season.    

1 minute ago, quietj said:

I don't want to be overly panicked but I honestly do not like this and am drafting at #5 in a big money league next week. I'll be looking in another direction as I fear on the 31st you'll see the Padres put him on the DL stating that he's completely fine and would play if this were the playoffs but are being extra cautious with their $342 million dollar man and the long 162 game season.    

Turner is basically a Tatis clone anyway, but more SB and fewer HR 

2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Turner is basically a Tatis clone anyway, but more SB and fewer HR 

Mike Trout is a brockpapersizer clone except with more rbis, runs, home runs, steals and batting average. I got less strikeouts though.

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Mike Trout is a brockpapersizer clone except with more rbis, runs, home runs, steals and batting average. I got less strikeouts though.

Yeah yeah but you know what I mean. Both are going to have good 5 category contributions, ++ average, RBI, Runs, and both will contribute decently in HR and SB- just one will be elite in SB and medium in HR; and one will be good in both.  I see them as very similar 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Yeah yeah but you know what I mean. Both are going to have good 5 category contributions, ++ average, RBI, Runs, and both will contribute decently in HR and SB- just one will be elite in SB and medium in HR; and one will be good in both.  I see them as very similar 

I don't see Tatis as a ++ average guy, but they are both elite sure

Here is the latest per Sportsedge:

Padres manager Jayce Tingler revealed Tuesday that Fernando Tatis Jr. has battled left shoulder discomfort off and on over the years.

Tingler offered up that information in relation to Tatis' early exit from Tuesday afternoon's Cactus League game against the Reds and said the star shortstop probably would have kept playing had it been the regular season. Tatis might be shut down for a few days, but the early reports are encouraging. "He’s managed it through the years," Tingler said. "It comes and goes over the years. He does a pretty good job of managing it. He’s got a good feel for when it gets bad and when it’s not too bad. ... We as a group just have to stay very on top of it."

13 minutes ago, damana said:

Here is the latest per Sportsedge:

Padres manager Jayce Tingler revealed Tuesday that Fernando Tatis Jr. has battled left shoulder discomfort off and on over the years.

Tingler offered up that information in relation to Tatis' early exit from Tuesday afternoon's Cactus League game against the Reds and said the star shortstop probably would have kept playing had it been the regular season. Tatis might be shut down for a few days, but the early reports are encouraging. "He’s managed it through the years," Tingler said. "It comes and goes over the years. He does a pretty good job of managing it. He’s got a good feel for when it gets bad and when it’s not too bad. ... We as a group just have to stay very on top of it."

i dont know if thats good or bad news knowing its something chronic. or atleast happened a couple times already in his career

2 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

i dont know if thats good or bad news knowing its something chronic. or atleast happened a couple times already in his career

I think it's a good think for this year, knowing that hes played through it in the past and has performed at elite levels.  It might be an issue that eventually needs Surgery or something of that nature, which is something to factor in keeper leagues.  I feel much better about it now than I did a few hours ago, knowing that he would have played if this was the regular season.  They have been babying him throughout spring, so that's probably why he came out.  Lets see what they say tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

If im not mistaken, Cody Bellinger said the same thing last year about his shoulder.... and he eventually needed surgery. It may be nothing, but the potential for this injury to a) make him miss time, and b) sap power has me downgrading him on my draft board. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

It is bad news.  

Glad I could help.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Overlord said:

It is bad news.  

Glad I could help.

or its general soreness that is being over blown because its St and hes getting babied. then tatis goes on to play a full healthy season and anyone who lets him slip out of the top 5 looks like an idiot.

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, damana said:

....."He’s managed it through the years," Tingler said. "It comes and goes over the years. He does a pretty good job of managing it. He’s got a good feel for when it gets bad and when it’s not too bad. ... We as a group just have to stay very on top of it."

Having to stay on top of shoulder discomfort for a 22 year old that just signed a 14 year deal, the longest in baseball history.

Let's just say I'd be a bit puckered if I was in the front office right now.

11 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Having to stay on top of shoulder discomfort for a 22 year old that just signed a 14 year deal, the longest in baseball history.

Let's just say I'd be a bit puckered if I was in the front office right now.

You would think the front office would have been aware of this if it had happened before (and more than once, apparently)

• Like 1