NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2021 Outlook

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to put a positive spin on this situation, if at some point a South African crime lord chains him in a straitjacket and tosses him off a dock into the ocean, he'll be able to easily dislocate hi

If a fan catches his detached arm in the crowd, will he autograph it?

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

It’s confirmed shoulder

giphy.gif

**Did the Padres not do a full physical on this guy before handing him nearly half a billion dollars?  Was he keeping this shoulder issue a secret for years?

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

There's a lot of informed speculation on Twitter (read: uninformed speculation on Twitter) that it's the elbow, not the shoulder.  Which still wouldn't be great for those rostering Tatis, but would make some of these attempts to do I told you so victory laps and laugh about the situation look rather silly.

Well this aged nicely.

• Haha 6
7 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Might be the first time this guy isn’t wrong. Said the same about Eloy.

That said I’d be shocked if it doesn’t reveal a pre-existing torn labrum. 

39 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I mean his injury history was one of the reasons I didn’t want to take him as a top 5 pick this year, but I got reamed in this very thread for suggesting it lol

I saw one person had a slight disagreement with you. Not sure where you got reamed. 

• Thanks 2

Tatis has that Hanley Ramirez like violent one handed follow through that really puts a strain on the shoulder. Hanley had multiple shoulder surgeries throughout his career if I recall

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

giphy.gif

**Did the Padres not do a full physical on this guy before handing him nearly half a billion dollars?  Was he keeping this shoulder issue a secret for years?

According to a post somewhere above you the Padres were well aware of his condition and have been for a long time.  They apparently decided to do the contract anyway.

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

According to a post somewhere above you the Padres were well aware of his condition and have been for a long time.  They apparently decided to do the contract anyway.

*Cue Chris Sale doing the Jack Nicholson nodding GIF

• Haha 4

Sucks to see such a talented and exciting player go down. Unfortunately, I think this could be a career-altering injury. Hopefully surgery fixes his persistent shoulder issues, but he's always going to be at risk dealing with a chronic condition in his shoulder.

Edited by OriolesMagic
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This seems...ill advised.

• Like 1

Man, that was brutal to watch. I'm sure most did a double-take when SD disclosed he's had off-and-on shoulder issues for a couple of years now - after signing him to the contract. Really tough break for a fun Padres team.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, charger_ss24 said:

Another Carlos Correa. All the talent in the world with half the playing time.

Difference is Tatis got his money. 

Carlos Correa isn't even in the same stratosphere as Tatis. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If I owned Tatis I'd be looking to snatch up Ha-Seong Kim. I imagine he'll slide in as his replacement and he has 20 / 20 upside if he gets the ABs. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Correa was a pretty hot item when he came up.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, MantisToboggan said:

Looks like season ending surgery is incoming. Might be the biggest 340$ million robbery in baseball history

If only they’d signed him for more than one season

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

That’s kind of a funny take since Correa has already had two better individual seasons in terms of value than the entire value Tatis has put up in his entire MLB career so far.

• Like 2