NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Correa was a pretty hot item when he came up.

Yeah Correa was the once in a lifetime guy back then when a young Lindor was considered to be just some defensive guy only.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a fan catches his detached arm in the crowd, will he autograph it?

Trying to put a positive spin on this situation, if at some point a South African crime lord chains him in a straitjacket and tosses him off a dock into the ocean, he'll be able to easily dislocate hi

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah Correa was the once in a lifetime guy back then when a young Lindor was considered to be just some defensive guy only.

This just came through:

Padres have Kim so I doubt it.  But IF it is the Padres it could be for depth because they know Tatis won't be coming back this season.  So stay tuned to this trade news to see if it is SD and if it is read the tea leaves accordingly.

I mean it is just as likely some other team but just something to monitor.

Apparently it's to the Braves.   Still not feeling any better.

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

That’s kind of a funny take since Correa has already had two better individual seasons in terms of value than the entire value Tatis has put up in his entire MLB career so far.

If you honestly believe that Tatis isn't a more talented player than Correa (and admit that you're basically just penalizing him for his youth) then I guess we can revisit this take in three years. 

9 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

If you honestly believe that Tatis isn't a more talented player than Correa (and admit that you're basically just penalizing him for his youth) then I guess we can revisit this take in three years. 

What he was saying is that Correa had just as much hype surrounding him when he came up.  He WAS just as big a deal back then and some thought him the most talented SS of his generation on that hype train. He didn't say who would end up the better player at the end of their respected careers. 

And it is Monday morning quarterbacking to say Correa didn't live up to his hype.  Also mere prophecy at this point to say Tatis will live up to his especially with a possible chronic injury.

• Like 8

Terrible for his owners but in redraft leagues worth keeping in mind that there were concerns in ST. I know he played through it then but I have been burned in the past by taking guys with “minor” spring training injuries. This year I was avoiding and bumping down my ranks guys like Tatis, Soto, Springer, etc. in redraft leagues when you have a top 4 pick why take the risk? 

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What he was saying is that Correa had just as much hype surrounding him when he came up.  He WAS just as big a deal back then and some thought him the most talented SS of his generation on that hype train. He didn't say who would end up the better player at the end of their respected careers. 

And it is Monday morning quarterbacking to say Correa didn't live up to his hype.  Also mere prophecy at this point to say Tatis will live up to his especially with a possible chronic injury.

Exactly correct. People forget that Correa was the 1st overall pick or something. He’s also put up a WAR of 27 through his age 25 season despite missing a lot of time due to injury. That’s just bonkers. To not consider him an extremely talented player is beyond shortsighted. As fun and exciting as Tatis has been, I can’t see him having a WAR of 27 through his age 25 season, especially with the injury concerns.

• Like 1

Maybe it's cause I haven't been a Tatis owner in years past, or maybe it's also because I didn't pay much attention to baseball in 2020, but this shoulder issue seemed to come out of nowhere. 

My mental narrative went from "how'd he hurt his left shoulder on a throw?" to "this guy has a recurring shoulder problem that the Padres supposedly have known about, yet they signed him to a 14 year deal? " within what felt like a matter of days.

42 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Exactly correct. People forget that Correa was the 1st overall pick or something. He’s also put up a WAR of 27 through his age 25 season despite missing a lot of time due to injury. That’s just bonkers. To not consider him an extremely talented player is beyond shortsighted. As fun and exciting as Tatis has been, I can’t see him having a WAR of 27 through his age 25 season, especially with the injury concerns.

Carlos Correa has not performed to his fantasy ADP a number of years, but to even remotely consider his career as a disappointment is crazy. 127 Career WRC+, won a championship, got to the World Series another time, almost made the World Series two other times.  Without looking it up, he's been pretty decent to good in the playoffs and was the starter at a premier position.  Isn't A-Rod, but man  has he had a good career. AND HE'S ONLY 26! I assume if he stays healthy and performs to career averages he gets a 9 figure deal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Carlos Correa has not performed to his fantasy ADP a number of years, but to even remotely consider his career as a disappointment is crazy. 127 Career WRC+, won a championship, got to the World Series another time, almost made the World Series two other times.  Without looking it up, he's been pretty decent to good in the playoffs and was the starter at a premier position.  Isn't A-Rod, but man  has he had a good career. AND HE'S ONLY 26! I assume if he stays healthy and performs to career averages he gets a 9 figure deal.

He already turned down a 6/120 extension that Houston offered. He’ll definitely get more on the open market.

Back to Tatis - if I’m him, I’d just get the surgery now and make sure I’m 100% prepped, rehabbed and ready for next year. He’s already got his big payday and is still so young. Playing through the pain and risking further injury is silly IMO.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dislimb said:

He’ll definitely get more on the open market.

Not if he seriously injures himself, he won't.

That's the risk all these players who want free agent dollars take.  

Correa is the most interesting of the upcoming free agents. Young, potential, playoff hero but history of injury and a bad 2020. Right now, I would rank the upcoming free agent class as Story, Seagor*, Correa, Baez. But if Correa stays healthy and goes off, I could just as easily see him go to the front of the line and get the biggest contract of them all. 

*If Seagor goes off for an entirety of this season like he did at the end of last season and into ST, I see him landing in front Story for contract size. No Coors Bias, bigger market bringing more attention to him will help out a lot there.

Edited by colorado2013

I’ve spent the better part of the last 18 hours refreshing pages to see if my fantasy baseball season is ruined in early April (Again.). So far the only new information I’ve garnered is that there are a lot of people on Twitter offering their shoulder to Tatis🥱.  And that Carlos correas career has not been as good as initially predicted.  Still don’t know if there was a tear (of course there was.)

Edited by Cesare13
6 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

Correa is the most interesting of the upcoming free agents. Young ,,,

I don't think he's even in the top three of the most interesting for me. Maybe not even top five.  Corey Seager, Freddie Freeman, Trevor, Story, maybe Syndergaard, maybe Rizzo, all look more interesting, particularly those first three names.  

Then again, I've always had a strong aversion to players with any whiff of "soft tissue injuries" in their background.  This stuff never seems to get better as they age.

Not that any owners need to feel more upset (or gloaters more happy) but any idea if this all could have been avoided had he gotten surgery 2 weeks ago and been out a manageable 4 to 6 weeks?

can't believe the padres offered that crazy money knowing about his shoulder issues. I won't deny his talent. But 14 years knowing he has a bum shoulder? Seems like a huge risk. Shoulders take a while to heal and sometimes are never the same. I had Tatis as a keeper in the 15th so value wasn't an issue, but dam i'm disappointed. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I don't think he's even in the top three of the most interesting for me. Maybe not even top five.  Corey Seager, Freddie Freeman, Trevor, Story, maybe Syndergaard, maybe Rizzo, all look more interesting, particularly those first three names.  

Then again, I've always had a strong aversion to players with any whiff of "soft tissue injuries" in their background.  This stuff never seems to get better as they age.

Sorry, I left out short stops. I was only focusing on the upcoming free agent short stops. Doesn't cancel out the injury issue for you, but does narrow the field. 😎

28 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I’ve spent the better part of the last 18 hours refreshing pages to see if my fantasy baseball season is ruined in early April (Again.). So far the only new information I’ve garnered is that there are a lot of people on Twitter offering their shoulder to Tatis🥱.  And that Carlos correas career has not been as good as initially predicted.  Still don’t know if there was a tear (of course there was.)

Be happy you only have to worry about this season. Imagine having to worry about your next 14 years. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

And this is why you don’t give 14 year 340 million dollar contract to injury prone players like Tatis jr.

Ah yes, hindsight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Ah yes, hindsight. 

Well Tatis is injury prone so yes hindsight is actually 20/20 in this case. This specific injury has been recurring for years now so yes I think it's safe to say Padres definitely took a huge risk on this guy (stating the obvious).

• Like 1