NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fernando Tatis Jr. 2021 Outlook

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a fan catches his detached arm in the crowd, will he autograph it?

Trying to put a positive spin on this situation, if at some point a South African crime lord chains him in a straitjacket and tosses him off a dock into the ocean, he'll be able to easily dislocate hi

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

As an owner, not a fan of this at all. "His best day"?  How about wait until every day is a great day?  And then wait a few more.

Yeah, I am really struggling with this one. Trade or Keep. I feel like without surgery, he will just re-injure it.

Kinda feeling lukewarm on this one. Lineups definitely lacks without him, but it just feels like the wrong decision. 

Aso a bit hard to trust Preller with medical info. 

You're not going to get what you want in a trade. Tough decision. 

• Like 2

This is not going to end well. Every article I've read with a doctors opinion says the Padres are risking further damaging Tatis' rotator cuff which would be a much more serious injury than his current Labral tear. 

Surgery is inevitable, but it seems like the padres are hoping he can scathe through this season and get surgery in the off-season. But again, Labrum surgery has a high success rate... rotator cuff surgery is much more complicated. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

This is not going to end well. Every article I've read with a doctors opinion says the Padres are risking further damaging Tatis' rotator cuff which would be a much more serious injury than his current Labral tear. 

Surgery is inevitable, but it seems like the padres are hoping he can scathe through this season and get surgery in the off-season. But again, Labrum surgery has a high success rate... rotator cuff surgery is much more complicated. 

A shoulder has a socket. Each time Tatis swings, he is bringing damage to the socket. Once the socket completely falls off his shoulder, we are looking at a two to three year recovery. 

Are the Padres really this stupid and desperate to go all in this season? None of this makes sense. The Padres are being really stupid. Hanley played through that injury for that one season and he was never the same hitter ever again.

• Like 2

I obviously can't prove it, but I get tje feeling that they REALLY want him for this Dodgers series. As if beating them in a series  justifies all the off season spending.

35 minutes ago, Miketrout009 said:

A shoulder has a socket. Each time Tatis swings, he is bringing damage to the socket. Once the socket completely falls off his shoulder, we are looking at a two to three year recovery. 

Are the Padres really this stupid and desperate to go all in this season? None of this makes sense. The Padres are being really stupid. Hanley played through that injury for that one season and he was never the same hitter ever again.

Lolwut? Big, if true.

Also, Hanley first injured his shoulder in 2007, his second full year in the bigs. He was still a monster that year and went onto many more monster years after that.

From Hanley’s Wikipedia:

In a game against the Cincinnati Reds on July 22, 2007, Ramírez overextended his shoulder when he tried to hit a pitch on the low outside corner off right-hander Bronson Arroyo. He was helped off the field and was determined to have suffered a partial dislocation of his left shoulder.[citation needed]

In 154 games Ramírez batted .332 with 29 home runs, 81 RBIs, 125 runs and 51 steals. He fell one home run shy of becoming only the third player in baseball history to hit 30 or more home runs and steal 50 or more bases in the same season. Ramírez led the National Leaguein VORP.

After the end of the season, Ramírez underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair his injured left shoulder.[24]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Just now, BMcP said:

I did notice he swung two-handed - and they routinely enticed him with balls either low or outside.  Let’s see if he can continue that discipline.

He was always susceptible to that, but I agree something to watch for getting worse. 2ks in 6 ABs. Probably going to be an adjustment period, and likely no steals. 

• Like 1

Yeah I will sell high as fast as possible. He isn't the same player from last year. Once he hits another Home run, if I was an owner I will actively trade him away. 

Name value alone I think someone will pay some value for him. But each swing is just nerve racking because of the potential of re-injury. 

• Like 3

How much concern is there with him changing from a one-handed-finish swing to a two-handed-finish swing. I watched Harold Reynolds talk about the difficulty of learning how to go the opposite way when making the switch. He speculated that pitchers may start feeding him everything outside now. 

34 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How much concern is there with him changing from a one-handed-finish swing to a two-handed-finish swing. I watched Harold Reynolds talk about the difficulty of learning how to go the opposite way when making the switch. He speculated that pitchers may start feeding him everything outside now. 

Can't see it helping. But I do prefer the safety aspect of it. He did face 4 of the top pitchers in baseball after 10 days off and started slow last season .  I'm just weirded out that they wouldn't give him a bit more time to work on that swing. What can owners do?  Probably can't sit him since theure heavily invested.  Just hoping natural talent wins out.

For anyone watching how did he look today? Saw he got a hit in the line score but didn’t see the game. 

does this look like an experiment in any way they pull the plug with for any reason or does he look mostly fine

6 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

For anyone watching how did he look today? Saw he got a hit in the line score but didn’t see the game. 

does this look like an experiment in any way they pull the plug with for any reason or does he look mostly fine

He doesn’t look good, but he’s certainly taken a few aggressive swings... Which is a positive I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Just stole a base with a feet first slide.  I heard some concern about steals given he usually goes head first, so it's nice to see he's made that adjustment and had a successful steal (ultimately creating a run).

• Like 2

Speaking of slides... just fell on his butt rounding second, got back up and had to make the dreaded head first slide back to the base.  2 chances to hurt himself.  He looked fine and in his next at bat, hit a bomb of Kershaw, way up into the stands.

A couple of great defensive plays the last couple of games too.

Maybe he's gonna pull this off.

Edited by GamblorLA