NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Carlos Carrasco 2021 Outlook

13 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

This feels like the movie The Money Pit.  Every time Tom Hanks asks the contractor how long till they finish the job, the contractors says "two weeks", as months go by.

The 2021 Carrasco tale is a good example of the negative side of drafting players that have significant, but not serious, injuries.  The "4 to 6 weeks" hamstring turned into a 4 to 6 month hamstring.  I will certainly be more cautious in future drafts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

The game was in Trenton, NJ, not Buffalo. They constantly get this wrong, the Bisons have not returned yet. You can bet your behind I would have been at this game to watch Carrasco pitch, I'm such a fan of this guy and all the MLB players like Rizzo, Mancini, etc. who are cancer survivors. I hope Cookie makes some monster dough for his managers and the Mets from here on out!

• Like 1

Carrasco scheduled to start on Friday:

Mets' Carlos Carrasco: In line for Friday return
July 27, 2021 6:23 PM ET
Manager Luis Rojas said Tuesday that the club is "pretty optimistic" Carrassco (hamstring) will be activated to start Friday against the Reds, Tim Britton of The Athletic reports.

It was reported Monday that the right-hander had a strong chance of making his season debut over the weekend, and now it appears that the veteran starter will take the ball Friday so long as he's given final clearance by the club's medical staff. The Mets will likely announce an official plan in the coming days, but if the 34-year-old does indeed start Friday, Rich Hill's next outing would likely be pushed to Saturday or Sunday. Carrasco is almost certain to be on some sort of strict pitch count in his return, given that he's yet to throw more than three innings in any of his rehab outings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Do you think his pitch count limit next time out will allow him to get through 5 innings against a Marlins team that's mailed it in for the year?

He's expected to get to 75 pitches next start, do that should be right around 5 innings. 

On 8/1/2021 at 12:31 PM, gbill2004 said:

He's expected to get to 75 pitches next start, do that should be right around 5 innings. 

Extremely disappointing that he couldn't get through 5 innings after getting staked to the big early lead.  This was exactly what I was worried about.  I made a mistake activating him from my IL spot.

While tonight was about the easiest matchup imaginable, the schedule coming up looks absolutely brutal.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

There's no reason he should have been taken out at 62 pitches. He could have made it through that inning. 

Well pitch count was the big concern.  He only threw 58 pitches last time out

He gets another friendly matchup next time out against the Nationals.  Hopefully he can make it through 5 next time, but he's not going to throw more than 75-80 pitches so not much margin for error again.

Then his next two starts are against the Dodgers, where I'm benching him for sure.

Edited by FootballFan101

Just now, FootballFan101 said:

Well pitch count was the big concern.  He only threw 58 pitches last time out

He gets another friendly matchup next time out against the Nationals.  Hopefully he can make it through 5 next time, but he's probably not going to throw more than 75-80 pitches so not much margin for error.

Then his next two starts are against the Dodgers, where I'm benching him for sure.

He was supposed to throw 75 tonight. Frustrating. 

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He was supposed to throw 75 tonight. Frustrating. 

Trust me, I'm frustrated too.  I'm just saying it's not shocking that he wasn't able to get through 5 with the big early lead.  Even if he had gone to 75 pitches, that would been iffy to be enough to get 2 more outs.  Unfortunately likely going to have the same concern next time out against the Nationals even with another easy matchup.  And then two awful matchups vs. the Dodgers

Thanks for nothing this year, Carlos Carrasco.  I thought maybe after holding him all year for a 16 week injury that was supposed to be 6-8 weeks, he could deliver a half decent start against two terrible offenses in the Marlins and the Nationals (following their salary dump).  Instead he pitches 5.1 IP, 8.44 ERA 1.88 WHIP and 0 wins in those 2 starts combined.  Obviously it goes without saying that Carrasco is totally and utterly unstartable in any format whatsoever in his next two starts vs. the Dodgers

On 5/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, dicka24 said:

Amazingly, and not in a good way, Chris Sale will be in my lineup before Carrasco is.  

For his sake, I hope it's just the hammy and not something serious like he had before.  In the end it's just a game we all play, and one's long term health is all that really matters.  

I sure hope Chris Sale does a lot better than Carrasco in his cupcake matchups when Sale returns this weekend.  Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I'm cautiously optimistic for two reasons:

1.  Sale had a lot more rehab starts than Carrasco to work off the rust.

2.  When healthy, Sale is simply a better pitcher than Carrasco with way more capability to miss bats.  Even in 2019, when he clearly wasn't healthy and was by far the worst season of his career, Sale still struck out 218 batters in 147 IP.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not a bad start against the Dodgers in LA. I was expecting worse. 

A 5.40 ERA is pretty bad, but yeah, I was expecting worse too after how terrible he pitched the last two starts.  Really hard to trust him going forward given that he got absolutely lit up against the depleted Nationals lineup two weeks ago in what was about as as easy of a matchup as there is.

Not to draw attention away from Sale, but Cookie had a great start yesterday, going 7 innings against the Giants with 5 Ks and only 2 ER. Definitely a huge step in the right direction, and the last outing against the Dodgers had some positives, too, so maybe he is gearing up to give his owners a much needed boost at the end. Next start at home against Miami looks like a good matchup, whether or not the Mets give him any run support is another matter.