NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eloy Jimenez 2021 Outlook

By all accounts it's a September return for this kid.  I can't imagine he's "close" to returning, but certainly if he's on your wire you need to pay attention to the situation, just in case.

Quick question though - is a torn pec tendon supposed to sap power in anyway, ie does it have any long term ramifications to his power potential?

Hoping it’s not a shoulder labrum situation where he may never be the same HR threat again.

2 hours ago, 5catstud said:

Quick question though - is a torn pec tendon supposed to sap power in anyway, ie does it have any long term ramifications to his power potential?

Hoping it’s not a shoulder labrum situation where he may never be the same HR threat again.

It's a rare baseball injury and I couldn't find a comp for recovery. It's more like Tommy John surgery where the tendon is reattached or repaired. I looked into weightlifters tearing their pectoral tendon during bench press and found limited results on their success after surgery.

Rather take my chances with that than labral injury regardless. 

Edited by itaos

20 hours ago, Ujohnnie said:

Hell yeah

Someone correct me here if I'm reading this incorrectly.    So it's 4 weeks of baseball activities, and then a rehab assignment (best case scenario).  The rehab assignment would be maybe 2 weeks give or take, depending on how he responds.  So we're talking possibly 6 weeks till he returns (again, best case scenario) which would peg him for early August?

Just now, dicka24 said:

Someone correct me here if I'm reading this incorrectly.    So it's 4 weeks of baseball activities, and then a rehab assignment (best case scenario).  The rehab assignment would be maybe 2 weeks give or take, depending on how he responds.  So we're talking possibly 6 weeks till he returns (again, best case scenario) which would peg him for early August?

Could be. But usually there are setbacks. 

12 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

That’s the way I read it too, barring setbacks.

Should we be running to add him if he's on waivers, or is too premature to do so at this point?   Best case he's back August 1st, and is good to go.  However, he could have a setback at any point, could take longer than the best case scenario obviously, and/or be sapped of his power with a rebuilt shoulder.   There is some correlation between sapped power and shoulder injuries.  

15 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Should we be running to add him if he's on waivers, or is too premature to do so at this point?   Best case he's back August 1st, and is good to go.  However, he could have a setback at any point, could take longer than the best case scenario obviously, and/or be sapped of his power with a rebuilt shoulder.   There is some correlation between sapped power and shoulder injuries.  

This is the kind of situation where you have to know your league mates. If you don't add someone else probably will.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, street sharks said:

This seems notable...

After seeing this I grabbed him to stash in my 10 teamer

When I posted his instagram post previously I thought it was just him being optimistic but there was obviously truth to it. Hopefully he's telling the truth once again! Exciting stuff. 

38 minutes ago, collucho said:

When I posted his instagram post previously I thought it was just him being optimistic but there was obviously truth to it. Hopefully he's telling the truth once again! Exciting stuff. 

Hes been marinating on my bench. He could be the difference for some teams during the playoffs. Hoping he recovers and hasnt lost any power. 

19 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Seems like Eloy will be back before Robert at this point right? I'm trying to figure out which one is worth stashing with limited roster space. 

Even if they were back at the same time I'd rather have Eloy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Seems like Eloy will be back before Robert at this point right? I'm trying to figure out which one is worth stashing with limited roster space. 

It looks that way should each proceed without issues.  With injuries like these there's always the possibility one has a setback, or needs a little more time to get the rust off versus the other.