NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eloy Jimenez 2021 Outlook

Does he really have to spend multiple weeks in the minors? If he gets into game shape quickly and is mashing balls out the gate, does he come back earlier? 

The only other MLB player with a ripped pectoral I could find is Franklin Gutierrez and I don't think he missed this much time.

15 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

Does he really have to spend multiple weeks in the minors? If he gets into game shape quickly and is mashing balls out the gate, does he come back earlier? 

The only other MLB player with a ripped pectoral I could find is Franklin Gutierrez and I don't think he missed this much time.

Eloy is such an advanced hitter and he’ll have the opportunity to DH when he comes up so it wouldn’t be too surprising to see him make quick work of this rehab assignment. They’re still going to be cautious with him though so I’d guess we’ll see him the last week of July barring setbacks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

If he is already healthy and mashing, curious why "several weeks" away from returning?  Several weeks to me means at least 3 to 4 weeks which would be early to mid August.

That's a bunch of BS if you ask me. As long as he keeps hitting and stays healthy, Eloy will be reinstated first or second week after ASB, I guarantee it.  

• Like 1

It will be a couple of weeks at least.  He's coming off a major injury and is well ahead of schedule.  I think they'd want him to work his way up to MLB level pitching in as gradual a manner as possible.  He's missed the entire season to this point and the arms in the majors are in midseason form.  Let him work his way up and don't rush him.  That's what the staff is probably thinking. 

They aren't concerned with our fantasy needs, as much as I wish they would be.  😁

15 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Already being moved up to Triple A starting tomorrow 📈

At this rate I think it’s possible we see him at the major league level at the start of next week!

• Like 1

image.png.28d016d6857e84b059b8290a23b230ec.png

These guys and their he's still several weeks away garbage. Guy could hit 3 homeruns in Triple-A tomorrow and they'll jizz about him for 6 sentences then say he's still several weeks away though.

I don’t understand, if he is playing the field every day in the minors (and hitting well to boot), why wouldn’t he be able to come up soon as a DH? I get being cautious, but I don’t think taking 4 ABs in AAA vs MLB is much different from a risk perspective.

16 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I don’t understand, if he is playing the field every day in the minors (and hitting well to boot), why wouldn’t he be able to come up soon as a DH? I get being cautious, but I don’t think taking 4 ABs in AAA vs MLB is much different from a risk perspective.

No one close to the situation has said it is still going to be a while. We could see him next week for all we know. The roto blurbs can be ignored once the concrete information in the first couple of lines ends. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I think the minor league reps help with easing him into games with less stress on him physically and mentally.  Getting game action in A ball against lesser talented arms allows him to not have to over exert himself physically, and being in those tiny parks, without the circus and adrenaline that major leagues games would have, allow him to ease into it mentally.   I suspect he'll be amped up when he hits the majors and you wouldn't want him to over swing or do something that his body wasn't quite ready to do.  

I've been trying to do some research into torn pectoral injuries and I think we are fortunate in the fact that its not a major injury that is a high risk to be re-injured like a torn ACL or UCL. He pretty much tore it in a freak accident and it would pretty much have to happen again. My guess is he'll be hesitant to attempt any miraculous HR robberies this time around. 

1 hour ago, collucho said:

I've been trying to do some research into torn pectoral injuries and I think we are fortunate in the fact that its not a major injury that is a high risk to be re-injured like a torn ACL or UCL. He pretty much tore it in a freak accident and it would pretty much have to happen again. My guess is he'll be hesitant to attempt any miraculous HR robberies this time around. 

I'd prefer he let one bounce off his head Canseco-style than to ever reach for one again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1