NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eloy Jimenez 2021 Outlook

Eloy is immensely talented, but does anyone really think he can come back this month, and then make it through the rest of the season without getting hurt? I'm just not seeing it. Could be one the dirtiest feeling "sell highs" of the year

Edited by cs3

4 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Eloy is immensely talented, but does anyone really think he can come back this month, and then make it through the rest of the season without getting hurt? I'm just not seeing it. Could be one the dirtiest feeling "sell highs" of the year

All of his injuries (at least that I found in a quick google search) have come playing the field. LaRussa has already hinted at playing him at DH so if he follows through with that it’ll greatly reduce his injury risk. It’s not like Eloy is some elite defender. Putting him in the OF when the team has a great shot at a World Series ring would be one of the dumbest things possible. Go get Gallo or Starling Marte, put Eloy at DH and go get that ring.

I agree that DH would be best for his health, but you really think LaRussa will do what's optimal?

Either way, he has definitely suffered some injuries that were not related to playing defense. Just off the top of my head he injured his foot running the basing to end  last season (3b I think), and hurt his ankle celebrating Gio's no hitter a month before that. 

In December 2018 he had a quad strain that ended his winter league season, but I can't remember if was running the bases or fielding. That same year he also a suffered a pectoral injury in April and a left hip abductor injury in July in AA, but again not sure if those were defense related or not. In either case, the guy is constantly injured and it's been a concern since he was in the lower minors. Which is why selling now might not be a bad idea imo

Edited by cs3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, meh2 said:

FWIW, White Sox have a doubleheader in Chicago tomorrow against the Twins. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them bring him back for it.

If the plan is DH only that means he'd be riding the pine not getting any reps in during the upcoming MIL series. I think he returns series after that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cs3 said:

I agree that DH would be best for his health, but you really think LaRussa will do what's optimal?

Either way, he has definitely suffered some injuries that were not related to playing defense. Just off the top of my head he injured his foot running the basing to end  last season (3b I think), and hurt his ankle celebrating Gio's no hitter a month before that. 

In December 2018 he had a quad strain that ended his winter league season, but I can't remember if was running the bases or fielding. That same year he also a suffered a pectoral injury in April and a left hip abductor injury in July in AA, but again not sure if those were defense related or not. In either case, the guy is constantly injured and it's been a concern since he was in the lower minors. Which is why selling now might not be a bad idea imo

Yeah but you're completely forgetting the fact that Eloy said he feels 200%, better than ever before. I'm pretty sure he's invincible now.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cs3 said:

The Cubs included Eloy as the centerpiece of the Quintana deal because they knew then;  Eloy was an atrocious butcher in the outfield.

The Sox need to finally realize after his plethora of outfield induced injuries and overall just LOOKING LOST out there/has no natural feel for playing outfield & can't play the position.  When they finally stop trying to force him to play out there, realize he can't play out there, it's only going to help the franchise long-term.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cava11aro said:

He’s played 10 rehab games already. My guess is we see him called up this weekend or Monday at the latest.

I think @ KC on Monday is a possibility.  They play the weekend in Milwaukee and I'd guess they'll want to DH him at first.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 10:37 PM, sleepysock said:

If the plan is DH only that means he'd be riding the pine not getting any reps in during the upcoming MIL series. I think he returns series after that.

Homer Smart GIF - Homer Smart Simpsons GIFs

I'm all in for 10+ dongs and .300+. Very optimistic that he's gonna be a monster to end the year.

Happy "Eloy is Finally Back Day"!

Regular Season Sport GIF by MLB

PS) I'm celebrating because my Stanton for Jimenez trade just processed an hour ago :)

PPS) Do yourself a favor and explore all the great Eloy GIFs on Giphy. There are an abundance of great ones.

https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-camera-eloy-KFiJCqt4XbEWyZJPe7 

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Do yourself a favor and explore all the great Eloy GIFs on Giphy. There are an abundance of great ones.

I won't spoil myself on it until the season is over, leaving it up to you to pump this thread full of them whenever he goes deep. I had similar designs on using voodoo memes for Christian Yelich but apparently even Jobu's black magic won't wake his lumber from its slumber.