Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Robert 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Obviously going to be a very high pick this year due to the talent he showed in the first 30 or so games of 2020. Problem is, he got exposed greatly in the last 30 or so games.

This is going to be a complete gamble player this year. Could be a top 12 player or could be outside of the top 100 if he continues to get exposed and does not making changes.

A lot of people are believing in him as he goes very high in drafts (top 3 rounds, I think). 

Any thoughts? I doubt that I will have him on any of my teams due to how high he goes and how risky he is (as a White Sox fan, I will target other WS players :p). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

This is going to be a complete gamble player this year.

 

I actually think he has a solid floor of R, HR, and SB. He should be batting near the top of a great lineup, and will play as much as possible. There is surely downside in AVG, which will probably correlate to his RBI as well - but he has a solid 3 category floor to support his price.

That being said, I don't see much potential for a jump in average so his upside is limited. I will likely take a chance on other stat stuffers that have a better chance to be a 4 or 5 category player in the 3rd round range over Robert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

 

I actually think he has a solid floor of R, HR, and SB. He should be batting near the top of a great lineup, and will play as much as possible. There is surely downside in AVG, which will probably correlate to his RBI as well - but he has a solid 3 category floor to support his price.

That being said, I don't see much potential for a jump in average so his upside is limited. I will likely take a chance on other stat stuffers that have a better chance to be a 4 or 5 category player in the 3rd round range over Robert.

 

Yea, but the thing is, if his BA craters will he get on base enough to steal the bags expected from him? He already doesn't walk very much.

 

The talent is so tantalizing but if there was ever a player susceptible to a sophomore slump, it would be a guy who swings outside the zone the 4th most in all of MLB and is the straight up leader (i.e. #1) in swinging and missing at pitches. If MLB pitchers continue to throw this guy strikes then they get what they deserve. I still have yet to see anyone provide a convincing argument that he's more than a faster and stronger version of Aristides Aquino

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably not worth the gamble this year. Yeah, he could be a top 10 player at the end of the year, but the floor is too low for his ADP -- not to mention he has had some injury issues in past years and his style of play is sometimes a little reckless. ADP on most WSox hitters seem a little high. Only one I would reach for is Eloy. That sweet smiling man is about to have a colossal year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

I think .270, (780 OPS) maybe 25 and 30? If it’s more than that he should get lauded as a monster. 
 

hes fun to watch 

He’s no doubt fun to watch but I highly doubt he hits .270. There’s some legitimate bust potential here. He had a league worst swinging strike % at 22.1 and was third worst in contact % at 61.4, in between Hiura, Sano and Mondesi, Gallo. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you guys are high on him. Pretty good owner in my league wouldn’t deal him for some really good players. Will be  interesting to see what shakes out .

my gut feeling is he doesn’t bust. I’m trying to think of a similar profile guy over the last 10 years. He might be enigmatic like buxton?

Edited by mevins31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Sounds like you guys are high on him. Pretty good owner in my league wouldn’t deal him for some really good players. Will be  interesting to see what shakes out .

my gut feeling is he doesn’t bust. I’m trying to think of a similar profile guy over the last 10 years. He might be enigmatic like buxton?


Similar profile? Aristides Aquino 2019 with elite speed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, UberRebel said:


Similar profile? Aristides Aquino 2019 with elite speed

Robert was runner-up Minor League player of the year in 2019. 
 

Punisher never quite received those credentials. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Would rather have Grisham for his price, 5-6 rounds later. 

I have done 4 drafts so far and haven't seen a difference of more than 40-50 picks between Robert and Grisham. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Sounds like you guys are high on him. Pretty good owner in my league wouldn’t deal him for some really good players. Will be  interesting to see what shakes out .

my gut feeling is he doesn’t bust. I’m trying to think of a similar profile guy over the last 10 years. He might be enigmatic like buxton?

Mondesi and Baez are what first comes to mind for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Actual production isn't a ceiling.

It wasn't "actual" production. It was a projection of his stats across a full season. Those are two COMPLETELY different things. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

It wasn't "actual" production. It was a projection of his stats across a full season. Those are two COMPLETELY different things. 

Ok but the point still stands... he has the ceiling potential to hit those numbers. Whether he does or doesn’t is a different story.

 

The man has exceptional power and elite speed. I think he’s a very flawed hitter but that’s not to say he can’t pick his way into that many bombs and SBs. It’s been done very less talented players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...