NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Robert 2021 Outlook

9 hours ago, Hanghow said:

I have to admit, I didn't expect .310 with 1 HR at this point in the season, although he has 10 XBH and his xBA is right in line with his actual BA, so it doesn't appear to be a fluke. He's actually under-performing his xSLG, so hopefully some of these hits start clearing the fence.

I don’t think he will be a huge power guy this year but 20-30 HR and if he keeps average above .270 with ops around .800 and runs a lot, I would be thrilled. 

• 2 weeks later...

A month in:

.311, .824 OPS, 1 HR, 4 steals 

He’s hit better than I expected, just not for power. If he starts to find it as the weather warms he could have a monster year 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mevins31 said:

A month in:

.311, .824 OPS, 1 HR, 4 steals 

He’s hit better than I expected, just not for power. If he starts to find it as the weather warms he could have a monster year 

I figured the BA had to be some lucky bullshit but xBA in the .280s and big EV spike. Could be real. K rate also down a decent chunk. I figured .245-25-25 was a fair outcome, but if you add 40 points to his BA, look out. If nothing else he will likely eventually replace Eaton as the #2 hitter and suddenly he inherits one of the best R+RBI slots in the game -- Madrigal and Anderson ahead of him, Abreu and Mercedes/Eloy behind. I was bearish for this year but maybe he arrives as a true-blue stud a little earlier than anticipated.

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Major major injury .... not good. Knee?

please for be his groin 

He was pointing to his groin/hip area when the trainer & coaches came out to him. Doubt it's the knee

Broadcaster speculating it's a hip flexor.

Edited by BadHombre
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BadHombre said:

He was pointing to his groin/hip area when the trainer & coaches came out to him. Doubt it's the knee

Broadcaster speculating it's a hip flexor.

I noticed hip or groin area too one angle of the camera before he was helped off. 

what is hip flexor timetable ?

15 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

It's a term for the length of time one would reasonably expect a player to require before returning from a hip flexor strain, but that isn't important right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

I noticed hip or groin area too one angle of the camera before he was helped off. 

It’s a muscle strain so like all muscle strain it will depend on the severity of the strain. While not always on accurate way of gauging things, I’d say we’re looking at a more severe type of strain based on how he reacted. There are always exceptions to this. If it’s a moderate to severe strain I’d estimate a 4-8 week recovery. He’ll get an MRI in the next 24 hours so we should know soon after.

• Like 1

Yeah i was going to say, based upon the video, looked to be a hip flexor or hamstring. Definitely did not appear to be his knee which is good. 

Best case is still 2-3 weeks despite how bad it looked. I've seen guys come back in 10 days after pure agony similar to LuBob's. Worst case is a couple months. Nevertheless the fact it wasn't a season-ending and career-altering injury like it first appeared is glorious news.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Best case is still 2-3 weeks despite how bad it looked. I've seen guys come back in 10 days after pure agony similar to LuBob's. Worst case is a couple months. Nevertheless the fact it wasn't a season-ending and career-altering injury like it first appeared is glorious news.

Agreed, until we know more we should worry less about the timeline and be grateful for this. The play itself looked like far worse because he lunged past first base while hopping on one leg, giving the impression of a pop or tear, but perhaps his incredible strength and balance to avoid putting his right leg down from there is what allowed him to avoid true catastrophe. By the time he fell to the ground he had slowed down enough to just topple over. If he had planted that right leg down while running full bore he may have done far worse.

Grade 3 hip flexor strain, i.e. complete tear, according to 670 WSCR radio in Chicago, per Rick Hahn's news conference. Terrible news. Recovery could be several months with or without surgery. 

1 minute ago, Caelum said:

Grade 3 hip flexor strain, i.e. complete tear, according to 670 WSCR radio in Chicago, per Rick Hahn's news conference. Terrible news. Recovery could be several months with or without surgery. 

He's basically done. Gonna be out at least 16 weeks.

• Like 1

Listening to a snippet of Hahn's news conference now: Timeline is same with or without surgery, no baseball activities for 12-16 weeks. Said we won't have a clear timeline for about 12 (!!!) weeks.