Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Well it’s been a fun 3 years of speculating what he can do at the MLB level and a fun 3 months of watching what he can do between last year and this year. 

It all seems pointless sometimes really. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a term for the length of time one would reasonably expect a player to require before returning from a hip flexor strain, but that isn't important right now.

Basically he's either Willie Mays or Lewis Brinson.    Draft accordingly. 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

i thought hip inj is better than knee?

Bo Jackson's career was basically derailed because of a hip injury.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

Yeah I ******** hate this, He was just rounding the corner into turning into a 5 cat-stud.

He rounded the corner and his hip fell off. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Bo Jackson's career was basically derailed because of a hip injury.

Totally different injury though. Bo dislocated his hip (So badly a bone broke)and then had damage to blood vessels that caused necrosis of the area. Robert should be OK in time.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

RIP LouBob. [...] Why can't we ever have nice things? He's young, and although I think it's safe to say he's done for 2021, I think he'll be fully healed and back to being a 5 tool threat for 2022 and beyond.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Yeah I ******** hate this, He was just rounding the corner into turning into a 5 cat-stud.

He was?!

Not to crap on Robert after being hurt - he'll never be a guy who hits for a high average, won't heave elite++ power;  he SHOULD be a VERY nice fantasy asset when healthy.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So is he not even worth an IL stash in redraft? If he's at the short end of that timetable (albeit unlikely), 12 weeks from now is mid-July. Ramps up in 3 weeks from resuming baseball activities makes it early-mid August, giving him 6 weeks of ball left? 

Wishful thinking, but I owned in a league and scooped him in another when his owner dropped. Just coming out of IL hell now so figure why not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mevins31 said:

great read on the impact of this. I thought with him they could win the AL. This really is sad just for baseball fans 

But they just signed Brian Goodwin!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yasiel Puig out here asking: "how many more voodoo dolls of White Sox outfielders am I going to have to construct before the organization gives my agent a call?"

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

So is he not even worth an IL stash in redraft? If he's at the short end of that timetable (albeit unlikely), 12 weeks from now is mid-July. Ramps up in 3 weeks from resuming baseball activities makes it early-mid August, giving him 6 weeks of ball left? 

Wishful thinking, but I owned in a league and scooped him in another when his owner dropped. Just coming out of IL hell now so figure why not.

Na I think he safe to cut for a redraft league. By all means keep him on your IL if you have the space, but if you need a spot I wouldn’t hesitate to drop him. A completely torn hip flexor so there’s no telling how long he will be, plus with how this year is shaking out with the injuries and covid I would anticipate you’ll be needing the space

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He was?!

Not to crap on Robert after being hurt - he'll never be a guy who hits for a high average, won't heave elite++ power;  he SHOULD be a VERY nice fantasy asset when healthy.

I mean he had a .316 BA and .274 xBA despite one of the worst chase rates in baseball. In the 4 months he's played big league ball, he's hit .298, .296, .136, and .316. When the league-wide average BA is around .240, yeah, he was absolutely showing signs of being a 5-cat stud. His raw power is absolutely ++ and despite hitting just one home run this year, he's hit 13 in 343 MLB PA to start his career. This after hitting 32 HR in 122 games in his only full minor league season as a 21 year old. There are more indications that he will contribute across the board than he won't. I think a young Soriano statline with fewer steals and more RBI is a good projection for him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I mean he had a .316 BA and .274 xBA despite one of the worst chase rates in baseball. In the 4 months he's played big league ball, he's hit .298, .296, .136, and .316. When the league-wide average BA is around .240, yeah, he was absolutely showing signs of being a 5-cat stud. His raw power is absolutely ++ and despite hitting just one home run this year, he's hit 13 in 343 MLB PA to start his career. This after hitting 32 HR in 122 games in his only full minor league season as a 21 year old. There are more indications that he will contribute across the board than he won't. I think a young Soriano statline with fewer steals and more RBI is a good projection for him.

That's a VERY VERY aggressive comp - Soriano.  Far too aggressive outside the strike zone to keep up a .300 average.  

No - Robert has never profiled to be a .300 hitter

No - he's never profiled to have elite ++ power; the point about him hitting 13 homers in 343 MLB PA equates to a player having average power.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

That's a VERY VERY aggressive comp - Soriano.  Far too aggressive outside the strike zone to keep up a .300 average.  

No - Robert has never profiled to be a .300 hitter

No - he's never profiled to have elite ++ power; the point about him hitting 13 homers in 343 MLB PA equates to a player having average power.

Do players with average power often hit in the top 2% of MLB max exit velocity?

Anyway, this is part of what makes this injury so disappointing. There were reasons to be wildly optimistic and reasons to be wildly pessimistic about him. I thought he'd be one of the more interesting players in baseball to follow this year. He was putting up a .300 average while his chase rate had gone up; I wanted to see how it played out, either way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 4:35 PM, Olliemets said:

So is he not even worth an IL stash in redraft? If he's at the short end of that timetable (albeit unlikely), 12 weeks from now is mid-July. Ramps up in 3 weeks from resuming baseball activities makes it early-mid August, giving him 6 weeks of ball left? 

Wishful thinking, but I owned in a league and scooped him in another when his owner dropped. Just coming out of IL hell now so figure why not.

I was leaning towards no, and now after reading The Athletic article from injury expert today, I think he is an easy cut:

"Robert suffered a complete tear to his right hip flexor and is expected to miss 12-16 weeks. Technically that means he could return later this season, but I don’t see it happening. There are a few different types of tears that can affect the hip flexor. The hip flexor is a group of muscles that connect at the top of the quad on the outside of the leg. When there is a tear it can either be to the muscle itself or to the tendon, which attaches the muscle to the bone. Robert is still being evaluated to determine the best treatment plan, but surgery is an option. The decision will depend on the exact location of the tear."

"If Robert does return late this season, the injury will significantly impact his performance — both speed and power. Robert should be OK long-term as long as there isn’t any additional damage to the hip such as a labral tear or other cartilage damage."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I see this thread bumped, I get a little glimmer of hope, and think this whole Robert injury was just a bad nightmare I had. Please just let LouBob RIP for now until there is some sort of new development in his recovery 😭

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

That's a VERY VERY aggressive comp - Soriano.  Far too aggressive outside the strike zone to keep up a .300 average.  

No - Robert has never profiled to be a .300 hitter

No - he's never profiled to have elite ++ power; the point about him hitting 13 homers in 343 MLB PA equates to a player having average power.

Very hard to profile a guys power this early in the game. Can give you numerous examples. 45 HR guy? Unlikely.

Perennial 30-35? I wouldn’t have ruled that out once he has 600 PA under his belt which will be pushed out to _____ now

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 6:45 AM, IlliniGuy76 said:

That's a VERY VERY aggressive comp - Soriano.  Far too aggressive outside the strike zone to keep up a .300 average.  

No - Robert has never profiled to be a .300 hitter

No - he's never profiled to have elite ++ power; the point about him hitting 13 homers in 343 MLB PA equates to a player having average power.

Average power is not IMO a still fairly raw rookie hitting 30+ homers in his only full minor league season coming off a wrist injury that literally sapped all his power the year previous (0 HR in 2018), and being on a roughly 30-HR pace through slightly less than a half-season's worth of PA to start his career. That is, in fact, a plus power profile in action -- particularly for a guy who has always had a 65-70 grade on his raw power from his teenage years in Cuba. It is already translating into game power despite his awing and miss issues, and the fact that he had cut down his K rate by 5% while increasing his EV from 87 to 89 mph this year bodes well for him taking a jump in both BA and power. Zone contact also took a huge jump so far this year. Even if he's swinging and missing at trash, he makes his living punishing mistake pitches in the zone. There are guys in the HOF who pretty much did only that for 15 years without improving their approach.

Also, I would like to clarify that didn't say he's a .300 or 45 HR hitter by comparing him to Soriano -- Soriano over his 6-year peak hit exactly .300 once and hit roughly .275-.280 overall over those 6 years, and his HR total only eclipsed 40 once in his 46 HR year, as he averaged 36/yr during that stretch. The only young players I think have that type of ceiling are Soto, FTJ, Vladdy, and Eloy. Robert has shown, despite his approach, that he can hit at that slightly lesser but still impressive Soriano level and in fact has done so to start things off other than that awful September 2020. I don't see why he can't hit .275ish over his peak stretch while averaging 30-35 HR with perhaps a huge outlier .300+/40+ HR year thrown in there for good measure, especially as he's given us more reason to believe he's already near that level than not through his first 340ish PA.

 

Edited by sleepysock
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone feel like if the white Sox are one of the best teams in baseball In late august they get him back a little sooner barring no setbacks ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Anyone feel like if the white Sox are one of the best teams in baseball In late august they get him back a little sooner barring no setbacks ?

No, not really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...