NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lucas Giolito 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, 5catstud said:

I admit I was a bit worried about him this past month but he's a professional. The stuff is too good and he was going to figure out his mechanics, release point, etc.

Maybe what he figured out was that he needed to start pine tarring the living s**t out of his hands cause the new balls are too slick to throw an effective changeup without Bauer-izing them.

*removes tinfoil hat

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet in this thread. Was there any rumors that he was also using the sticky stuff? How is his spin rate compared to others since the crack down? Where can I find that info?

39 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Quiet in this thread. Was there any rumors that he was also using the sticky stuff? How is his spin rate compared to others since the crack down? Where can I find that info?

His curveball had a huge increase in spin from previous years, but comparing his yearly averages to his most recent start there doesn't seem to be a huge drop off. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=2021-06-11&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=playerBreakdown#633789

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Tell me that wasn't his first start without the sticky stuff...

I watched it (with one eye open). Bad. Should've been a lot worse.

Spin rate was definitely down, but that's also a Twins lineup that's been getting hot lately.

7 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Tell me that wasn't his first start without the sticky stuff...

I watched it (with one eye open). Bad. Should've been a lot worse.

Pitchers have stopped using it for the most part aside from the one Seattle reliever.  An odd start for a pitcher doesn't automatically mean that somebody should jump to that conclusion.  He'll be fine.

• Like 1