NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yasmani Grandal 2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, Richard Kimble said:

2nd straight off day, what minor injury is he nursing that they aren't telling us about? The blurbs are couching it as a benching in favor of Collins which  seems ridiculous to me. Even with his putrid .BA he's going to improve on it quickly.  

Not a fan of the games he's been taking off.  In the old days, his 'days off' meant he was playing first base.  Now that's not even an option.  Thank God I'm in an OBP league, because these numbers are weird.  Among all catchers:

Runs- 5th

HR- 7th

RBI- 12th

OBP- 4th

XBH- 25th?

Hits- 41st!!  WTF!?  I know there are some guys like Kiner-Falefa who still have C-eligibility in Yahoo, but you'd like to think a top-end catcher would still finish in the top-30 when there are only 30 teams in the league!  Frankly, you'd like to think he'd be in the top-15.

AVG- 68th.  I'm not even going to try to figure out how many 'part-timers' are ahead of him.  For the sake of argument, let's call it 20.  So 45th-ish in AVG.  In a league with 30 teams.

Yeesh..... :blink:

Edited by Bandito
  • Haha 2

I have up hope for Grandal last week and dropped him for Kelly in a shallow league. The walks area  nice story, but unless you play in a OBP league he's pretty worthless right now. 

why is Grandal walking so much, higher than anything even close in his career.

he has a great  hard hit% and an incredibly low BABIP. he should be swinging more and putting up better numbers.

35 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

he has a great  hard hit% and an incredibly low BABIP. he should be swinging more and putting up better numbers.

It is his mentality this season:

“I’m done swinging at pitches that they want me to swing at. If you make a mistake, I want to crush you. If you don’t, then I’m going to walk.”

Nice to see that approach...

11 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

He's doing it to bewilder us. Maybe he wants to be the first guy to have more Walks than total bases over a full season, who knows.

3 minutes ago, posty said:

It is his mentality this season:

“I’m done swinging at pitches that they want me to swing at. If you make a mistake, I want to crush you. If you don’t, then I’m going to walk.”

Nice to see that approach...

I wonder if the White Sox see it that way.

They dropped $18.25 mil per year on him for 4 years and I don't think a .131 AVG was quite what they had in mind.

They're winning games so it's probably easier to take, but Zack Collins seems to be encroaching more and more on Grandal's playing time.

1 minute ago, Wieties said:

They dropped $18.25 mil per year on him for 4 years and I don't think a .131 AVG was quite what they had in mind.

They're winning games so it's probably easier to take, but Zack Collins seems to be encroaching more and more on Grandal's playing time.

Yeah they probably would like to see Grandal hitting a lot higher, but I also think that this is what the owners and others on their Board wants...  If he hits .130s all year and gets on a lot and they win and make the Series, I would assume that they think that is money well spent...

The best way to hit your way out of a slump is to spend all your time sitting on your #ss. He could be the first player this season to hit the IL with hemorrhoids. 

1 hour ago, Wieties said:

Broadcast Steve Stone has seemingly lost patience, complaining often about how he refuses to swing the bat. Former players tend to be less critical of the active players than they should be, but Stoney was always the one ex-player in the booth that I felt took the necessary objectivity in critiquing players. If he's lost his patience, I have to imagine this sentiment will echo throughout the organization. He'd get tomatoes thrown at him by his own teams' fans for that batting average 30 years ago. OK, maybe that's not the best hyperbole to use with what's happened in the NBA playoffs this week 🙄

8 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Not in the lineup again. Is he droppable in a non OBP league?

Day game tomorrow, so he was for sure going to sit one of these two.

BB count in my league so Grandal is holding his own but obviously could be doing better.  I went thru box scores for the past 5 weeks looking for some trends.  Here is what I found:

1)  He has batted 2nd in the last four games he has played in.  This would be awesome if that continues so La Russa at least has some confidence in him.

2)  He has not played in Rodon's last 5 starts.  Last one he caught was on 4/20.  Is Collins Rodon's personal catcher now?

3)  He has not played in Giolito's last 3 starts.  Does Gio like Collins more?

4)  Grandal has caught in 7 of the last 8 starts by Cease.  Tonight was the one he did not play in.  Cease got bombed.

5)  Grandal has caught 4 of the last 5 games by Lynn.  Lynn pitches in day game on Wednesday so maybe that sat Grandal tonight to catch Lynn in the day.

6)  Grandal has caught all of Keuchel's last 7 starts.  This includes last Saturday's doubleheader when Grandal caught both games from Keuchel and Lynn.  Suffice to say, I think Grandal is the preferred catcher for Lynn and Keuchel.

7)  He did not catch either of Kopech's two starts.

White Sox homers, is there a personal catcher thing going on here?  Grandal has caught 18 of last 20 games started by Keuchel, Lynn and Cease.  While catching 0 of last 10 starts by Rodon, Giolito and Kopech.  See a trend here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Wieties said:

10 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Broadcast Steve Stone has seemingly lost patience, complaining often about how he refuses to swing the bat. Former players tend to be less critical of the active players than they should be, but Stoney was always the one ex-player in the booth that I felt took the necessary objectivity in critiquing players. If he's lost his patience, I have to imagine this sentiment will echo throughout the organization. He'd get tomatoes thrown at him by his own teams' fans for that batting average 30 years ago. OK, maybe that's not the best hyperbole to use with what's happened in the NBA playoffs this week 🙄

Grandal- .131/.385 OBP, 120 wRC+, 1.0 fWAR

Madrigal- .311/.351 OBP, 110 wRC+, 0.8 fWAR

You guys think the front office is worried about batting average? I’m guessing they’re a lot smarter than that, and see that Grandal is actually having a productive season.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 3:58 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

You guys think the front office is worried about batting average?

No, I also believe they only care about his overall productivity, and they have to simply believe in regression to the mean. My own take on batting average is that players still care about it more than we think, and its not hard for a guy to make a conscious effort to improve on a weak BA, especially in the shift era, by simply going the other way. So I'm not worried that Yasmani will get it going and start swinging away. He hit a solo HR tonight off Mize, and I'm just as fascinated by what he's doing as everyone else. Its unheard of, which is why it is drawing attention here. We all kind of know it won't last for the full season, its just a remarkable sample of games he's put together. Here's a good read from a week ago on it:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yasmani-grandal-bizarre-2021-stats

Edited by Richard Kimble
Added link
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

12th rated C in standard 5 x 5 (espn player rater) despite currently hitting .160.

Amazing.

He makes those hits count at least. 

• 3 weeks later...

Playing well and playing often; started at 1B today and DH a few games ago. Plus, he seems to have worked his way up to the cleanup spot in the last few games.

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, Hanghow said:

Playing well and playing often; started at 1B today and DH a few games ago. Plus, he seems to have worked his way up to the cleanup spot in the last few games.

Yep just in time to get injured. That’s how these bust stories goes.

Edited by Cdub2k

Yasmani Grandal underwent surgery on Wednesday to repair the tendon tear in his left knee.

Advice: "The procedure was performed [Friday] by Dr. Nikhil Verma of Midwest Ortho. at Rush, with Dr. Shane Nho assisting, at Gold Coast Surgery Center," a statement from the White Sox reads. Grandal was placed on the injured list with the torn tendon, and this likely extends the four-to-six week timeline that was the original diagnosis. The White Sox do expect Grandal to return before the campaign ends, but fantasy managers who are relying on Grandal need to look elsewhere for 2021. 

Shout-out to Rush in Chicago, that's where I was born. This is another devastating injury for the White Sox. He was really valuable for OBP leagues, and while the average was still .188, the 14 HRs/38 Rbis/42 Rs were giving him solid value, and he was generally looking like a solid 2nd half bet. Now it seems he should just be dropped anywhere he can't be held on IL, because a return before September is highly unlike. I might wait a day or two to hear more of an update on this procedure, but I'm ready to cut bait in a very deep 2-catcher league for any sort of active C. Zach Collins is an interesting fill-in if available, because he does take some walks and has a little power, and should catch more or less everyday unless the Sox go out and trade for another catcher. 

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, kwelch said:

In somewhat related news, after getting injured,  he walked to Emergency Room in an effort to maintain his surprisingly high OBP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just heard he had surgery yesterday, which wasn't expected. I'd shift that 4-6 weeks to 6-8 (I hope).

Probably droppable in average fantasy leagues that use OBP.