NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Moritz Wagner 2020-2021 Outlook

No love for Mo Wag on here for this season with Bryant going down.  He's not bad and will get some run and counting stats with Robin Lopez as his playing time mate. Stick to trivia Robin.    Even with Westbrook I feel he'll contribute.  12-5- 2   1 - 1 - 1 with good percentages and low TO's...

Until he gets in foul trouble or gets hurt... again.

I want to add him so badly because I fear I would regret it if someone else did and he exploded, and I really could use his stats. I'm thinking this is a "pick and wait" situation as opposed to "wait and possibly regret", his upside is clear but the problem is that he was not getting any minutes before this and the foul trouble is menacing.

If you want upside Wagner is the man. The problem is that the Wizards are paying Robin Lopez 7 million. Yes 7 million! So for the safe pick, Lopez is the man. Now if you want the Homerun play but might strike out multiple times, then Wagner is the move. Reason Wagner wasn’t gettig minutes is because you have a slew of PF/C’s on the Wizards.

Bertans/ Huchimara/ Bryant/ Lopez/Wagner

So he was the odd man out. But as we as mentioned if they decide to go small I can see a lineup of.

Westbrook

Beal

Troy Brown

Huchimara

Bertans

wagner seems like the type of big that doesnt play defense aka hes not in the coach's favor. Lopez doesnt do much of anything except hustles and plays his all and doesnt care about scoring aka what coaches loves when they got ball dominant players like beal and westbrook.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

If you want upside Wagner is the man. The problem is that the Wizards are paying Robin Lopez 7 million. Yes 7 million! So for the safe pick, Lopez is the man. Now if you want the Homerun play but might strike out multiple times, then Wagner is the move. Reason Wagner wasn’t gettig minutes is because you have a slew of PF/C’s on the Wizards.

Bertans/ Huchimara/ Bryant/ Lopez/Wagner

So he was the odd man out. But as we as mentioned if they decide to go small I can see a lineup of.

Westbrook

Beal

Troy Brown

Huchimara

Bertans

This was my guess as well except they put in Deni over Troy Brown (Brooks obviously doesn't like using him for some reason).

17 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

wagner seems like the type of big that doesnt play defense aka hes not in the coach's favor. Lopez doesnt do much of anything except hustles and plays his all and doesnt care about scoring aka what coaches loves when they got ball dominant players like beal and westbrook.

Exactly how I felt watching Wagner. I could be entirely wrong on this but this could just be a case of  having nobody really to pick up between Wagner and Ro-Lo since they have a their respective deficiencies in terms of fantasy (Ro-Lo being serviceable feels like a stretch) and in real life (Wagner always looks lost/doesn't care).

Was gonna pick this guy up in every league but then as others have said Wiz have alotta bigs on the roster and Wagner is one of their worst defenders. Chances are he splits mins at C. He probably will fail to get 25 mins a night.

Edited by jay_00

5 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

Was gonna pick this guy up in every league but then as others have said Wiz have alotta bigs on the roster and Wagner is one of their worst defenders. Chances are he splits mins at C. He probably will fail to get 25 mins a night.

This is also why he's a lukewarm pick at most. Yes, he's gonna likely split minutes but he also doesn't need that many to produce, either. I'd only grab him if there are really no other choices out there.

3 hours ago, ItzJaBoiSam said:

I want to add him so badly because I fear I would regret it if someone else did and he exploded, and I really could use his stats. I'm thinking this is a "pick and wait" situation as opposed to "wait and possibly regret", his upside is clear but the problem is that he was not getting any minutes before this and the foul trouble is menacing.

I'm in the same boat as you. I needed a PFC in a 14 team points league. I picked him up and just hope for the best. I also got Oubre who I picked up last week and Nurkic. Nurkic is playing better this past few games though. 

13 minutes ago, Cyclone007 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. I needed a PFC in a 14 team points league. I picked him up and just hope for the best. I also got Oubre who I picked up last week and Nurkic. Nurkic is playing better this past few games though. 

In a 14 team league Wagner should definitely be added

"According to Wizards reporter Chase Hughes, Bryant’s injury “paves the way for Moe Wagner more than anyone.” Wagner has been prone to injuries, foul trouble and inconsistent shooting early in his career, but has a tantalizing fantasy game with a career per-36 line of 16.9 points, 8.6 rebounds, 2.3 dimes, 1.1 steals, 0.9 blocks and 1.4 triples on 49% from the field and 81% from the line. I believe this will be a timeshare at first with roughly 20 minutes for each, but I’m expecting Wagner to win the battle and earn a larger role in a season that is already lost for the Wizards.'

source

• Like 1

The injury paves the way for Deni the most imo. Wagner is def worth a scoop to fill a void positionally for your team if in need of a PFC but overall Deni's usage goes up the most. 

Edited by dfstout

1 hour ago, dfstout said:

The injury paves the way for Deni the most imo. Wagner is def worth a scoop to fill a void positionally for your team if in need of a PFC but overall Deni's usage goes up the most. 

Nah.

Regarding playing time, Deni's primary competition is Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans, and Troy Brown Jr, none of whom are well equipped to replace Bryant. Of their combined 763 minutes this year, only 5 of them are estimated to have been played at the C position. Bertans did play an estimated 16% of his minutes at the Center position in 2019-20, but the majority of these came in games where Bryant, Wagner, and Ian Mahinmi were all hurt, and of course Robin Lopez was in Milwaukee. Wagner and Lopez are the ones who stand to benefit most by Bryant's injury. 

Regarding usage, Bryant is a low-usage player. There will be no cascading effect across the roster. Deni will be useful only when Russ and/or Beal sit, similar to how Caris LeVert is useful only when KD and Kyrie are out.

3 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Nah.

Regarding playing time, Deni's primary competition is Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans, and Troy Brown Jr, none of whom are well equipped to replace Bryant. Of their combined 763 minutes this year, only 5 of them are estimated to have been played at the C position. Bertans did play an estimated 16% of his minutes at the Center position in 2019-20, but the majority of these came in games where Bryant, Wagner, and Ian Mahinmi were all hurt, and of course Robin Lopez was in Milwaukee. Wagner and Lopez are the ones who stand to benefit most by Bryant's injury. 

Regarding usage, Bryant is a low-usage player. There will be no cascading effect across the roster. Deni will be useful only when Russ and/or Beal sit, similar to how Caris LeVert is useful only when KD and Kyrie are out.

Ok we'll see... 

Own both. Doing a wait n see approach in one league where I’m comfortable on bigs but gonna go with Wagner in another where I need to make up some games. Hoping for a bit of a blowout so he gets more minutes even tho Lopez starting. 

4 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Own both. Doing a wait n see approach in one league where I’m comfortable on bigs but gonna go with Wagner in another where I need to make up some games. Hoping for a bit of a blowout so he gets more minutes even tho Lopez starting. 

Mixed up the bloody leagues. Either way went with Wagner over Lopez where I had the choice. 

• JFS179 changed the title to Moritz Wagner 2020-2021 Outlook