NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cardinals GM Steve Keim said he'll "monitor the running back position" but believes Chase Edmonds is "an excellent player."

Edmonds remains a sneaky RB1 candidate if only because Kenyan Drake's departure leaves the Cardinals with the same underwhelming backups — Jonathan Ward, Eno Benjamin, Khalfani Muhammad — that weren't entrusted for anything more than third-string reps last year. The former actually handled 28-of-30 backfield touches in Drake's lone absence in 2020, too. With the same pieces in place, Edmonds need only dodge a running back on day 1/2 of the draft in order to enter the summer months as a true workhorse. It would not be shocking to see him steamed as an early fourth-round pick in Best-Ball drafts.

Mar 22, 2021, 1:18 PM ET
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's not a 3 down back and never will be. He's been in the league for 3 years and has only broken 60% snap count 4 times and 15 touches twice. Of course this is his first year where he has a real oppo

Calling him an "excellent player" is GM speak for, "We might get stuck with him as our RB1, so better start the spin."

Chase Edmonds is a role player.  Not a featured guy.  RW, errr. NBC Edge writers need to accept that fact.  Chase Edmonds dynasty owners need to accept that fact.  Chase Edmonds needs to accept that f

4 hours ago, The G Man said:

Cardinals GM Steve Keim said he'll "monitor the running back position" but believes Chase Edmonds is "an excellent player."

Edmonds remains a sneaky RB1 candidate if only because Kenyan Drake's departure leaves the Cardinals with the same underwhelming backups — Jonathan Ward, Eno Benjamin, Khalfani Muhammad — that weren't entrusted for anything more than third-string reps last year. The former actually handled 28-of-30 backfield touches in Drake's lone absence in 2020, too. With the same pieces in place, Edmonds need only dodge a running back on day 1/2 of the draft in order to enter the summer months as a true workhorse. It would not be shocking to see him steamed as an early fourth-round pick in Best-Ball drafts.

Mar 22, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

Didn't believe it the first time I heard it don't believe it now. At the very least they're going to upgrade the alternative pieces in this backfield. Edmonds would be a low-upside RB2 at best if they stand pat - the only way this is not a smoke screen is I'm giving the Cards too much credit.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

Calling him an "excellent player" is GM speak for, "We might get stuck with him as our RB1, so better start the spin."

Looking at their draft picks remaining after the Hudson trade - this could have legs actually. With this set-up the earliest they draft a back is with that 5th round pick imo.

Depressing. I'd take Edmonds as a flex - max - if he's the RB1 here.

Here are the picks the Cardinals now have.

• Round 1, pick 16 (No. 16 overall)
  • Round 2, pick 17 (No. 49 overall)
  • Round 5, pick 16 (No. 160 overall)
  • Round 7, pick 16 (No. 243 overall)
  • Round 7, pick 20 (No. 247 overall)
29 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Looking at their draft picks remaining after the Hudson trade - this could have legs actually. With this set-up the earliest they draft a back is with that 5th round pick imo.

Depressing. I'd take Edmonds as a flex - max - if he's the RB1 here.

Here are the picks the Cardinals now have.

• Round 1, pick 16 (No. 16 overall)
  • Round 2, pick 17 (No. 49 overall)
  • Round 5, pick 16 (No. 160 overall)
  • Round 7, pick 16 (No. 243 overall)
  • Round 7, pick 20 (No. 247 overall)

I feel like this would be a year they go aggressive for an RB in the draft. Seems like they are going in on giving Murray weapons (though I think one could argue that 2021 AJ Green is not much of a weapon, though I hope I am wrong as I am a fan), and that might be the draft this year.

• Like 1
Just now, colorado2013 said:

I feel like this would be a year they go aggressive for an RB in the draft. Seems like they are going in on giving Murray weapons (though I think one could argue that 2021 AJ Green is not much of a weapon, though I hope I am wrong as I am a fan), and that might be the draft this year.

IMO they should - because what is on the roster doesn't cut it. 

People who think Edmonds is a legit option remind me of me last year - I hadn't seen him enough. This year he yakked hard when he finally had the opportunity. 

To re-iterate: if Edmonds is actually the top dog at RB he'd be far more valuable in PPR than standard. I'd project somewhere around 1000 combined yfs and 5-6 TDs. He brings no upside.

• Like 1

I highly doubt Edmonds is the RB1 on this team heading into the season. The Cards will be all in with 2 years left on Kyler's rookie deal. I would wager they use their 2nd rounder (49 overall) on a guy like Etienne or Javonte Williams if available. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

I highly doubt Edmonds is the RB1 on this team heading into the season. The Cards will be all in with 2 years left on Kyler's rookie deal. I would wager they use their 2nd rounder (49 overall) on a guy like Etienne or Javonte Williams if available. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think Eitienne is going to still be OTB at #49. Williams might be though. But, I do agree that as things stand Arizona is probably targeting a RB in the draft.

Guessing I haven't seen enough of Edmonds and may have him a little overvalued at this point. I just saw Drake's departure as a means by which Edmonds could get more volume. For those that are closer to the team, is he just not that good? Every time I've seen him he's looked the part, and I always kinda wondered why he wasn't getting more PT.

Historically, let's think about other instances similar to this one, where the No 2/change of pace guy had an opportunity or even became the starter the following season. I'm not counting guys like Miles Sanders who are drafted high and with the assumption that they'll eventually become the starter, but are behind a veteran their first year. 

1. Austin Ekeler - took over starting job, beast, got injured, missed 6 games

2. Phillip Linsay - Team acquired Melvin Gordon to start over him, got injured, missed 8 games

Who am I missing? Either way I'd temper our expectations. We're talking about a guy in Edmonds who has only had more than 8 carries in a game 3 times in his career. If he didn't break out against the Giants we wouldn't even be considering him as SZN candidate. 

I think the most volume we can expect is a 150 carry season from him, which would still be a massive increase and would afford him more receiving opportunities as well. But they'll have another GL back most likely. 

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

I don't think they can afford to waste a pick on RB - and I also don't think they can afford to rely on Chase Edmonds. Looking at the draft picks and the needs they have, I'd push hard to get a decent FA RB. How about Conner or Breida, or maybe Fournette if you think you can manage his character?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Mike Davis signed to Falcons. Another RB off the market. Gurley, Connor, Brieda left .. Chase is better than all of them. Things are looking good for him. He did fit the offense better than Drake last year. He has great chemistry with Murray .. Got lots of  dump off/swing passes 

Edited by FantasyGuru24

I'm not sure why there is so much pessimism here.  Is he a first round bellcow RB?  No.  But is he still valuable should he retain RB1 status on this team?  Of course.

He's never really had the chance to be a full time starter.  Kliff said last year that he saw Edmonds as a starter in this league.  Yes, he flopped in his start against Miami last year with 25-70-0.  But he still averaged 4.6 ypc for the season.  How quickly people forget his monster 27-126-3 game in 2019.  I could see him catching 65-70 passes this year.  He had 53 last year and he wasn't even the man.

I think he can still be great value, especially if you have him in a keeper league and can roster him for pennies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CooL said:

I'm not sure why there is so much pessimism here.  Is he a first round bellcow RB?  No.  But is he still valuable should he retain RB1 status on this team?  Of course.

Nobody’s arguing he won’t have value if given the opportunity — we’re saying he won’t even get that opportunity. I guess we’ll just need to see how the draft shakes out, obviously there’s going to be a ton of optimism for him if he’s the de facto “bellcow” after the draft.

For transparency, Edmonds is a potential keeper candidate for me in 2021.

I think there's too much dichotomy in the discussion here - there can be a middle ground between Edmonds as a clear-cut starter or Edmonds functioning only in a secondary role with a rookie RB handling every-down carries.  Not every rookie RB is immediately pro ready - see Jonathan Taylor last year.  Can Edmonds serve as a 1B with a drafted back as 1A?  I'm not saying that's going to happen, but it seems odd this board is discounting that scenario.

Edmonds saw a significant increase in targets from '19 to '20:  21 to 67.  I'm not sure why we would assume his target cap is in the range of 67.  This growth and success as a receiving back (rated 5th by Football Outsiders DVOA) would not suggest to me a reduced role.

After a finish as RB28 in .5 PPR, I'm optimistic Edmonds will see increased volume to move into RB2 territory (for a 12 team league at least).  But, the draft awaits.

45 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

Can Edmonds serve as a 1B with a drafted back as 1A?  I'm not saying that's going to happen, but it seems odd this board is discounting that scenario.

Not sure about "this board", but I certainly don't discount that. He might even be the 1A, I can't speak for the organisation.

But if you mention "drafted back", remember they only have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds, and they have a couple glaring needs, especially at CB. If I'm the Cardinals (which I'm patently not), RB wouldn't be my first choice unless the option at #49 is too good to be true.

I think basically at this point, with still some FA RBs available and the draft coming up it's anybody's guess what will happen. Your RB2 seems entirely reasonable, and if they use him as a bell-cow (Ekeler style) then more is also possible. I just wouldn't be buying right now, unless on the cheap.

5 hours ago, CooL said:

He's never really had the chance to be a full time starter.  Kliff said last year that he saw Edmonds as a starter in this league.  Yes, he flopped in his start against Miami last year with 25-70-0.  But he still averaged 4.6 ypc for the season.  How quickly people forget his monster 27-126-3 game in 2019.  I could see him catching 65-70 passes this year.  He had 53 last year and he wasn't even the man.

I think he can still be great value, especially if you have him in a keeper league and can roster him for pennies.

My thoughts exactly.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Chase Edmonds 2021 Outlook
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Cardinals signed RB James Conner, formerly of the Steelers, to a one-year contract. 

Conner, coming off a down 2020 season, will reunite with Cardinals running backs coach James Saxon, who worked as the Steelers' RB coach from 2014-2018. The plodding Conner is likely to take some early-down work in Arizona's offense -- enough to make fantasy managers worry about Chase Edmonds' workload. Edmonds should remain the pass-catching back for Kyler Murray, though he doesn't figure to see much goal line work if Conner is healthy. Conner, 25, missed nine games from 2019-2020. He's likely to be drafted many rounds after Conner and would have a path to every-down work if Edmonds misses time this season. ???????????????

Apr 13, 2021, 11:34 AM ET

Welp.  This blurb isn't right.  Is the writer saying Connor is likely to be drafted many rounds after Edmonds?  Or is he saying Edmonds is likely to be drafted after Connor?  Whatever the case, it's not good for Chase in terms of bellcow opportunity.  Was hoping the Cards wouldn't draft an RB, but getting a space filling plodder in free agency is just as bad.

Edited by CooL
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, CooL said:

Welp.  This blurb isn't right.  Is the writer saying Connor is likely to be drafted many rounds after Edmonds?  Or is he saying Edmonds is likely to be drafted after Connor?  Whatever the case, it's not good for Chase in terms of bellcow opportunity.  Was hoping the Cards wouldn't draft an RB, but getting a space filling plodder in free agency is just as bad.

Edmonds is a nice 3rd down back. That's it. His closest player comp according to playerprofiler is Dion Lewis. The narrative that he would be a breakout bellcow was always insane. 

• Like 2

The only scenario where he got a workhorse role this season was if every other RB was injured. The Cardinals were obviously going to draft or sign another RB.

• Like 3

Chase Edmonds is a role player.  Not a featured guy.  RW, errr. NBC Edge writers need to accept that fact.  Chase Edmonds dynasty owners need to accept that fact.  Chase Edmonds needs to accept that fact.

• Like 3

For transparency, Edmonds is a likely keeper for me in '21.

I have a different perspective on the Conner signing.  To be honest, I'm thrilled with it.  From a real-life perspective, the Cardinals were obviously going to add another running back, even if Edmonds was the "bellcow" back.  It's just reality of NFL roster construction.

That said, I have never expected Edmonds to be a bellcow back.  My hope is that he is 1B in a tandem.  If he ends up as 1A, well that's just a cherry on top.

The signing of Conner would seem to reduce the likelihood the Cardinals draft a true 3-down back with their limited draft capital.

As for Conner himself, perhaps I'm biased, but I just don't see him as a true lead back as Kenyan Drake was.

• Like 1

Betcha they will draft a RB or sign a priority UDFA.  Edmonds is going to be a bye-week, desperation flex in full ppr leagues only.

If that's your keeper, you must be playing in a very deep league indeed.

Conner is probably the perfect scenario for Drake.

Obviously the Cardinals were going to take care of their RB needs. Assuming Conner is the end (which is likely) they took care of their needs by signing an injury prone RB who sucks.

So the door will be open for Edmonds this year. Will he become a bell cow? No but he can turn out to be a nice value pick in half-PPR and PPR. 

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Betcha they will draft a RB or sign a priority UDFA.  Edmonds is going to be a bye-week, desperation flex in full ppr leagues only.

If that's your keeper, you must be playing in a very deep league indeed.

What FA? They just signed an injury prone RB and all the ones left in FA are washed. There’s no way they sign Conner and then another terrible back. The draft maybe but they don’t have too much picks. If they land Harris or Williams in the second round then sure but it’s not too likely they go RB. I’m sure a day 3 guy can make some noise (there’s some good prospects) but again, it’s not that likely.

Edmonds isn’t that great of a keeper for sure but I can honestly see him returning flex value in PPR leagues on a weekly basis. Of course it depends on what happens before the season and during the draft.