NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andrew Benintendi 2021 Outlook

So I know Benintendi has been awful lately and while his 2020 sample size is tiny, its not encouraging - but with an ADP of 230, is he a value this year?  I see warning lights going off by the fact that they are trying to trade him but maybe a trade to a Houston or Oakland or something helps to turn him around?  I'm thinking .275 with 15/15 would still be pretty good value for where he is going

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, blacksqrrl said:

So I know Benintendi has been awful lately and while his 2020 sample size is tiny, its not encouraging - but with an ADP of 230, is he a value this year?  I see warning lights going off by the fact that they are trying to trade him but maybe a trade to a Houston or Oakland or something helps to turn him around?  I'm thinking .275 with 15/15 would still be pretty good value for where he is going

Agreed. If he's going in the 200s I'm on board (mama didn't raise no fool).

Value is there for sure.  For those who play in deeper leagues, OBP leagues, or points leagues, the guy has extra value.  He hit 40 doubles and 5 triples in 2019 and consistently walks >9%.  If he gets the K% down to normal ~20% he could provide very solid value at his current price.  I'd be happier if he was dealt somewhere where he could hit in the 2 hole as well.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:20 PM, SuperJoint said:

At this point I think it was the hype. His game is pretty much the same - he's an extremely patient hitter. Extremely.

Not entirely accurate - this quote from OverTheMonster says his sprint speed has declined dramatically over the years:

Benintendi has seen his athleticism drop since he entered the league in 2016. That year his sprint speed as measured by Statcast was in the 89th percentile. That number has fallen each year since to 80th in 2017, 68th in 2018, 54th in 2019, and finally 43rd last year. By Outs Above Average, he has been one of the worst left fielders in baseball since he entered the league. Given all of that, he simply can’t be a positive on this team without having a high functioning bat.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

Not entirely accurate - this quote from OverTheMonster says his sprint speed has declined dramatically over the years:

Benintendi is probably not even a full time player anymore because of the big holes being exposed in his game. But he's also a guy that you make sure to add to your watchlist and follow closely during the season. 

Players that offer SB and a bat good enough not to kill you in the power categories is easy to take for granted/overlook. Benintendi can be a sneaky source of 5 cat production this season if things click right.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

It is all about value.  His ADP is reasonable.  There are a few players I would rather have being drafted later but if he is on the board at his ADP I might be a buyer.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:59 AM, Dylanfan66 said:

What happened to this guy?

He knew what pitches were coming and raked. Check out his home vs road strikeout rates when they were cheating. Why did he strike out so often on the road but rarely at home???

Edited by turner46
grammar
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Benintendi is probably not even a full time player anymore because of the big holes being exposed in his game. But he's also a guy that you make sure to add to your watchlist and follow closely during the season. 

Players that offer SB and a bat good enough not to kill you in the power categories is easy to take for granted/overlook. Benintendi can be a sneaky source of 5 cat production this season if things click right.

Those sprint speed numbers are pretty concerning. If that doesn't rebound, I wouldn't expect much in the way of SBs.

The projection models have him around 11 or 12.

I get that SBs are scarce, but..."meh".  I can grab Yasiel Puig or Garrett Hampson later for cheap steals with a little more upside bat.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...