NBC Sports Edge Forums

Who knows but realistically, in shallow mixed leagues, he is likely 2 more bad starts away from a massive drop % number imo.  Can't hold onto questionable pitchers for very long waiting for them to get their act together.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, sure you would

You know what’s probably better than one human visually looking through game logs from Kluber’s 208 career starts to draw conclusions about trends and patterns? Highly sophisticated computer programs

Of course we won't see prime Kluber. I think he'll be pretty valuable here on out though. We should have all seen this coming.   1. He always has bad Aprils 2. He hasn't pitched consist

7 hours ago, absknicks said:

Velocity is down, command is gone... I think he's just shot.

He has not pitched in roughly 2 years due to a fractured arm and shoulder problems, so not having command or velocity at prior levels is somewhat to be expected.  That said our "crack" staff of scouts\evaluators thought enough of him to advise Cashman to pay him 11M.  So if he does end up being that shot, then you have to wonder if the Yanks get their pitching evaluators\scouts from a local little league.  There is after all a reason why their farms system has not developed a number 1 or 2 starter since Andy Pettitte in 1995, why you bring back the likes of Javier Vazquez not once, but twice, why you sign the likes of Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa, trade for James Paxton, Jeff Weaver, etc.

2 hours ago, secretagentman said:

He has not pitched in roughly 2 years due to a fractured arm and shoulder problems, so not having command or velocity at prior levels is somewhat to be expected.  That said our "crack" staff of scouts\evaluators thought enough of him to advise Cashman to pay him 11M.  So if he does end up being that shot, then you have to wonder if the Yanks get their pitching evaluators\scouts from a local little league.  There is after all a reason why their farms system has not developed a number 1 or 2 starter since Andy Pettitte in 1995, why you bring back the likes of Javier Vazquez not once, but twice, why you sign the likes of Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa, trade for James Paxton, Jeff Weaver, etc.

Luis Severino

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

Luis Severino

Has not been able to stay on the field long enough to be considered an ace imo.  He has pitched all of 2 full seasons in MLB.  And one of those he basically was horrible in the second half.  Has not pitched in a meaningful way since 2018 and we will be fortunate to see him in July of 2021.

11 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

He probably gets one more start from me. 

Unless you have a short bench I don't understand why you can't just pretend he is an IL stash for the rest of April, cause it's already been said many times in this thread that he stinks in April.

I say this having not seen him pitch yet, but as an older arm coming off some injury riddled seasons it may be a serious case of rust we're seeing.  I remember CC and Mussina (yes I'm a Yankees fan) always starting off with lower velo in the early part of the season and then seemingly adding a couple of ticks once they broke themselves in for the season.  I'm not saying that's the case with Kluber, but it's possible.  I'd shelve him till he has a good start or two, but I wouldn't drop him just yet.

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Unless you have a short bench I don't understand why you can't just pretend he is an IL stash for the rest of April, cause it's already been said many times in this thread that he stinks in April.

Well because he hasn't pitched in two years and because I don't think he is the same pitcher he once was. That's my rational. I'm dealing with some injuries as well. One more start maybe was a bit extreme, but I don't see myself holding on too much longer if he keeps getting shelled. He's my worst pitcher at the moment.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Well because he hasn't pitched in two years and because I don't think he is the same pitcher he once was. That's my rational. I'm dealing with some injuries as well. One more start maybe was a bit extreme, but I don't see myself holding on too much longer if he keeps getting shelled. He's my worst pitcher at the moment.

I don't think he's gonna be the same guy from a few years ago, but I think he'll be better than what he is doing. Half my team is on IL/covid IL, but I'm holding on to Kluber. I would say if he doesn't improve by the middle of May, then maybe it's time to cut bait.

Is there something I am missing with the Yankees, are they just down to four starters now? On Fantasy pros kluber is listed as being a two start pitcher this coming week, going Tuesday and then Sunday.

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

Is there something I am missing with the Yankees, are they just down to four starters now? On Fantasy pros kluber is listed as being a two start pitcher this coming week, going Tuesday and then Sunday.

The sent German down but I think we’re planning on calling him up on the 24th

I mean we all saw this coming, right? Even guys in this thread were saying not to draft him and instead trade for him or pick him up off the WW after his annual horrible April start. Yes, it could be worse this time and he might maybe have lost nearly all of it.

I'm seeing him on WW in some leagues. If you're fishing for upside like I always am, time to pick him up and stash him until he shows life or at least put him on your watch list. Taking so much time off naturally takes time to get back in the groove - see Corey Seager in 2019 before he shook off all the injuries and rust in 2020.

2 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

You all think he can return top 50-60 SP value ROS?

I figured he be like a very solid sp3. I still think he has something left in the tank

13 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

I watched most of his outing tonight. 

I didn't see anything special. 

Sat about 90, not many whiffs.

Mostly soft contact.

Anyone else watch?

Didn't look good at all. He had a lot of BABIP luck. If you're in anything smaller than a 12-team league, he should be sitting on the WW.

• Like 1

Been said before that he hasn’t pitched in two years and definitely is looking incredibly rusty. The amount of walks he is giving is unprecedented by him, something like 6/BB. The fact he wasn’t getting any swings or misses and his control was all over the place is concerning.  He regressed a little bit from previous starts in terms of swinging strikes.... with that being said I am holding for now

Isn’t he a notoriously slow starter? How deep are the leagues of people dropping him? Surely there isn’t anything on the wire with as much upside as Kluber, even if he’s a shell of his former self.

• Like 1

He didn’t look all that bad, imo. Like above poster mentioned, soft contact, even had a couple of nice paint jobs despite the lack of whiffs also mentioned. The big thing I saw, was that he looked like he got VERY fatigued at about 75 pitches. Once he got up there in pitches, the wheels fell off insanely quick. I’m holding for now in hopes that he eventually builds up his stamina and can maintain into the 90-100 pitch range in starts. 

6 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Isn’t he a notoriously slow starter? How deep are the leagues of people dropping him? Surely there isn’t anything on the wire with as much upside as Kluber, even if he’s a shell of his former self.

Yes.If you have the space on the bench,  I would say bench until mid May to see if he improves.

I'm going to hold and probably till mid may. He will probably continue to f--- up my ratios.

However, I am curious if In mid may when he still sucks are people going to say to be patient and wait till mid June?

I'll stay tuned.

Edited by hangin n wangin
1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

I'm going to hold and probably till mid may. He will probably continue to f--- up my ratios.

However, I am curious if In mid may when he still sucks are people going to say to be patient and wait till mid June?

I'll stay tuned.

His next 2 starts are vs Bal and Det. I'd imagine you can comfortably drop if doesnt pitch well in either of those.