NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Outlook

I thought about doing an actual write up about the team but got depressed looking at their projections. They have a shot at not having one player hit 20 homeruns. 

Theres a few solid fantasy backups on the team, and I do like Musgrove. 

If I get the itch maybe I will still do one. I just don't see any real hidden gems unfortunately.

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I thought about doing an actual write up about the team but got depressed looking at their projections. They have a shot at not having one player hit 20 homeruns. 

Theres a few solid fantasy backups on the team, and I do like Musgrove. 

If I get the itch maybe I will still do one. I just don't see any real hidden gems unfortunately.

I think Ke'Bryan Hayes can hit 20 homers but I don't see many RBI's coming with those given the line-up.  And Jameson Taillon should be back pitching at full strength.  Hope these guys get traded to contending teams because they could shine outside of The Pits.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think Ke'Bryan Hayes can hit 20 homers but I don't see many RBI's coming with those given the line-up.  And Jameson Taillon should be back pitching at full strength.  Hope these guys get traded to contending teams because they could shine outside of The Pits.

I doubt Hayes gets traded, but if Taillon shows a pulse I would imagine they move him at the deadline.  As for draft-able players I'd like to throw Mitch Keller out there.  His numbers have been all over the place in 16 starts since 2019, but he was a fairly well regarded prospect who can strike guys out.  Kept the walks and HR under control in the minors as well so could have some ratio upside.  Not many wins to be had in Pitt but with a 308 ADP not a guy to fill out your bench.  

Real life it's not looking bright, but there are a few fantasy items worth noting.

Adam Frazier is dual eligible and a decent deep league bench play, especially in points leagues.

Bryan Reynolds could bounce back and be a cheap late round AVG play.

As @The Big Bat Theorynoted, Taillon should throw this year and can pad ratios.

Jacob Stallings will get everyday playing time and averages a .262/.327 line over his career, so there's a warm body.

and... uh... wow I'm looking this over and well, it's not good.  I'm not sure Hayes reaches 175 RBI+R this year and with an ADP of 137 he's looking way overpriced.  I mean Bryant is going 3 picks ahead of him and Urshela 15 behind.  I'd take both over Hayes as it stands right now.

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Outlook

From a fantasy perspective I like it as far as opportunity for some young guys.  Tucker and Olivo in particular.  I think Tucker will be starting SS.

and the Pirates fire sale continues.  I don't know why anyone would buy a ticket to watch this **** show.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Padres have acquired right-hander Joe Musgrove from the Pirates.

It will be a three-team, seven-player swap once all of the medical reviews are completed, with the Pirates getting OF prospect Hudson Head, LHP prospect Omar Cruz, RHP prospect Drake Fellows, and reliever David Bednar from the Friars. Joey Lucchesi, meanwhile, is headed to the Mets in exchange for 1B/OF/C prospect Endy Rodriguez. Musgrove registered a solid 3.86 ERA, 1.235 WHIP, and 55/16 K/BB ratio over 39 2/3 innings (eight starts) during the condensed 2020 season and will now join a beefed-up San Diego rotation that also features fellow offseason additions Blake Snell and Yu Darvish. The 28-year-old Musgrove avoided arbitration with the Bucs last week on a one-year, $4.45 million contract. He is under club control through 2022.

The Pirate fire sale continues.  Hudson Head is decent but still only 19 years old I think it is and last played at rookie ball level.  Not top tier yet but could be a future major leaguer.  Meanwhile Joe Musgrove probably thought he just died and went to baseball heaven.  Probably dancing a jig as I post this.

What they are doing now is finally correct and the fan base should be optimistic.  Huntington was an abject failure through and through including trying to *compete* and sort of rebuild at the same time.

100% complete LOSER organization.  4 loser prospects for Taillon

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Yankees have a deal in place to acquire Jameson Taillon from the Pirates.

The Pirates will be receiving pitching prospects Miguel Yajure and Roansy Contreras, outfield prospect Canaan Smith and shortstop prospect Maikol Escotto in return. Of the four, Yajure is ranked the highest by MLB.com as the Yanks' No. 15 prospect, so this is definitely a quantity over quality haul for the Pirates. As far as Taillon goes, he hasn't made a start since May of 2019 as he recovers from his second Tommy John surgery. However, while he certainly comes with some health risk, Taillon was, at minimum, a nice mid-rotation starter before getting hurt. He'll also make just $2.25 million in 2021 and is under team control through 2022. Pitching at Yankee Stadium and in the AL East is a tall task, but Taillon will have a dynamic offense backing him.

Note to self: avoid all Pirates on draft day (and, yes, that includes Hayes and Reynolds).

Second note to self: stream just about anyone starting against this AAA team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Note to self: avoid all Pirates on draft day (and, yes, that includes Hayes and Reynolds).

Second note to self: stream just about anyone starting against this AAA team.

As a dynasty owner I just hope the Pirates forget Ke'Bryan Hayes is still years under control and they accidentally trade him next.  Hey the crazy stuff they do it's possible. 😵

Edited by The Big Bat Theory