NBC Sports Edge Forums

Houston Texans Offseason Thread 2021

As Titans fans obviously I have heard Deshaun Watson and the Grumblings coming from past and current Texan players. I'm typically on the players side, but not in this case.

The Texans players and fans can be mad at O'Brien, he obviously did stupid stuff. But their anger at the franchise is misguided. JJ Watt was simply spoiled because he got use to winning so much. And he couldn't deal with losing. Nobody wants to lose, but if you do anything competitively losing is simply inevitable.

These modern day athletes cry so much. Example...Texans have won the division past 4-6 years, FACT. Been to the playoffs 6 times out of the past 10 years, FACT. So what exactly are the players complaining about when it comes to the Franchise as a whole???? To me it sounds like a bunch of grown men who can't deal with adversity, and are even spoiled. They simply weren't use to losing. Why does every player seem to think they should be on a winning team? There is only x amount of teams, meaning not everybody can be on a winning one. Deshaun Watson was just in the playoffs last year, and he choked. So what's he really complaining about? He has won the AFC south twice in the past 3 years & he only been in the league 3 years. We (Titans) won it once in 12 years.

When you put everything into context and perspective JJ Watt and Deshaun Watson sound like cry babies.

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of all the people on this board, you are the last one that should be bringing up past player evaluations

The backstory of how they share an agent and how the agent basically played McNair like a fiddle into thinking Caserio was about to be hired by the Panthers is also pretty outrageous.  https://ww

You are using the CEH pick as an example of a first round running back that represented a good use of draft capital?  Seems an odd choice. As for Tua, if the Texans cannot get anything better for

Well there is profound concern when you have an idiot owner and his pet team chaplain literally running the show.

I think if the players had faith in the franchise leadership, and thought things were eventually going to head in a good direction, they could tolerate losing in the short term.

Easterby has no business doing anything other than giving sermons to interested volunteers.  Instead, he likely convinced Cal McNair to run Hopkins out of town due to social justice activism.  The SI report included the nugget that the two did not speak.

So you literally have political idealogy determining football decisions.  Does that seem like a recipe for success?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well there is profound concern when you have an idiot owner and his pet team chaplain literally running the show.

I think if the players had faith in the franchise leadership, and thought things were eventually going to head in a good direction, they could tolerate losing in the short term.

Easterby has no business doing anything other than giving sermons to interested volunteers.  Instead, he likely convinced Cal McNair to run Hopkins out of town due to social justice activism.  The SI report included the nugget that the two did not speak.

So you literally have political idealogy determining football decisions.  Does that seem like a recipe for success?

Wait...you're the same guy who compared Josh Allen to Mitch Trubisky, right?

25 minutes ago, PisEdiRin said:

Wait...you're the same guy who compared Josh Allen to Mitch Trubisky, right?

Wait...aren't you the guy who said Le'Veon Bell would be a thing this year?

• Haha 3
16 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

So what exactly are the players complaining about when it comes to the Franchise as a whole???? To me it sounds like a bunch of grown men who can't deal with adversity, and are even spoiled. They simply weren't use to losing.

Yeah, but...

This is the NFL. I need them to want to win. I need them to be upset at losing and take it as motivation to get better. I need them to call out their colleagues who are not putting in the effort or making dumb mistakes. As a manager in business I expect my teams to do the same. You can make mistakes, but I also need you to be upset at your own mistakes, and to occasionally call out people that are not up to scratch (and then help them); and if _I_ am the one making the mistakes, I actually want them to tell me.  These NFL athletes are guys that should always be striving to reach the highest - they get paid the most, so they better want to be the best. 

To every casual observer it's clear that the Texans are a hot mess right now, and I think the employees have every reason to be upset at that. And they can choose to do either of 2 things: 1) get better or 2) get out. To me, again as casual observer, I think that Watson tried to do the first, and now that he feels he sees it's not getting better, I can't fault him much for doing #2. I've done the same in my line of business.

Now to be clear, I don't actually think Watson can be upset too much at not being involved in the decision making, if that's really what this is about. But I applaud him for being upset at losing (which was your point or at least the point of my reply). I want my guys (whoever they are) to be livid at sinking so low, and do everything to get better, and if my team can't turn that anger into motivation to play for my team, then management needs to go.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

As Titans fans obviously I have heard Deshaun Watson and the Grumblings coming from past and current Texan players. I'm typically on the players side, but not in this case.

The Texans players and fans can be mad at O'Brien, he obviously did stupid stuff. But their anger at the franchise is misguided. JJ Watt was simply spoiled because he got use to winning so much. And he couldn't deal with losing. Nobody wants to lose, but if you do anything competitively losing is simply inevitable.

These modern day athletes cry so much. Example...Texans have won the division past 4-6 years, FACT. Been to the playoffs 6 times out of the past 10 years, FACT. So what exactly are the players complaining about when it comes to the Franchise as a whole???? To me it sounds like a bunch of grown men who can't deal with adversity, and are even spoiled. They simply weren't use to losing. Why does every player seem to think they should be on a winning team? There is only x amount of teams, meaning not everybody can be on a winning one. Deshaun Watson was just in the playoffs last year, and he choked. So what's he really complaining about? He has won the AFC south twice in the past 3 years & he only been in the league 3 years. We (Titans) won it once in 12 years.

When you put everything into context and perspective JJ Watt and Deshaun Watson sound like cry babies.

The current owner and exec. V.P. were part of the group that made bad decision after bad decision that led to the sad state of the current roster. The team went 4-12 last year.  FACT.  And they have no 1st round nor 2nd round pick.  FACT.  They are $17 million over the projected 2021cap.  FACT

I don’t blame anyone who leaves a job when they have no faith in the management.  Unfortunately, the way the NFL is set up, the only way to do that is often to go public and force a trade.

On a side note, what did JJ Watt do to be grouped in with Watson?  I didn’t see anything where he was complaining about management, but I may have missed it.

• Like 1

Well JJ Watt was caught on microphone walking off the field after their week 17 loss to Tennessee with Watson.

Watt said something like "sorry we wasted one of your years."  In an organization as paranoid, dysfunctional and insecure as the Texans are right now, that statement is a perceived criticism of management and cannot be tolerated.

Anyone who is interested should go read both of the SI stories.  Many nuggets in there.  For one thing, Cal's trophy wife put a friend on insta blast because she was sitting near a fan who had a sign critical of Easterby.  The account in question has now been deleted.

@Boudewijn

Exactly.  When faith in those steering the ship has been irretrievably lost, in business, sports, a church, a club, whatever it is, the only solution is to make for the lifeboats.

For Watson it will be a bit more difficult due to restrictive NFL contracts, but he has the option to quit like Andrew Luck, Barry Sanders, and Calvin Johnson.

At this point, it seems that Watson is unwilling to put a Texans uniform on again.  Maybe Caserio can somehow salvage it.  Step one would be firing Easterby.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

@Boudewijn

Exactly.  When faith in those steering the ship has been irretrievably lost, in business, sports, a church, a club, whatever it is, the only solution is to make for the lifeboats.

For Watson it will be a bit more difficult due to restrictive NFL contracts, but he has the option to quit like Andrew Luck, Barry Sanders, and Calvin Johnson.

At this point, it seems that Watson is unwilling to put a Texans uniform on again.  Maybe Caserio can somehow salvage it.  Step one would be firing Easterby.

I think you are right in that gett8ng rid of Easterby would go a long ways in repairing the damage. More than likely a firing of Easterby followed by good hiring with open dialogue and honest interviews process would help keep Watson. 

• Like 2

It's harder for NFL mega stars to force their way out of a team.  Unlike the NBA, where as we saw James Harden can say he wants to play in Brooklyn and he then magically ends up traded to Brooklyn.  It seems like the only option NFL players do have is to hold out.  

Has Watson publicly said he would sit out?  Or is that basically the Schefters of the world who are presenting it as an option?  I find it hard to believe that an NFL player in his prime would opt to sit out an entire season.  Look what happened to Le'Veon.  Different position of course.  But Bell basically went from being a top 5 positional talent to an afterthought.  And that was with "saving" his body one year of wear and tear.  Watson is too young in my opinion to pull the "I'm done" card.

6 minutes ago, CooL said:

It's harder for NFL mega stars to force their way out of a team.  Unlike the NBA, where as we saw James Harden can say he wants to play in Brooklyn and he then magically ends up traded to Brooklyn.  It seems like the only option NFL players do have is to hold out.  

Has Watson publicly said he would sit out?  Or is that basically the Schefters of the world who are presenting it as an option?  I find it hard to believe that an NFL player in his prime would opt to sit out an entire season.  Look what happened to Le'Veon.  Different position of course.  But Bell basically went from being a top 5 positional talent to an afterthought.  And that was with "saving" his body one year of wear and tear.  Watson is too young in my opinion to pull the "I'm done" card.

Actually QB has a lot more longevity and a **** load more leverage as compared to RB. RB has been proven to be a plug and play and they don’t pay a lot due to the wear and tear of the position. QB faces less wear and tear. And a truly skilled QB and leader of franchise is difficult to find. Not so much at RB position. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Actually QB has a lot more longevity and a **** load more leverage as compared to RB. RB has been proven to be a plug and play and they don’t pay a lot due to the wear and tear of the position. QB faces less wear and tear. And a truly skilled QB and leader of franchise is difficult to find. Not so much at RB position. 

Oh, I agree.  But how often has it happened where a star QB sits out and forces a trade?  I can't remember any of the top of my head.  I guess the closest resembling that in my mind would be draft day Eli saying he would never suit up for the Chargers and forcing a trade to the Giants.  Or Elway saying he would never play for the Colts.

That's why I think if the Dolphins are serious, they should make a run at Watson who has already proven he is a franchise QB.  Dolphins can draft all these "can't miss" QBs coming out of college, but you never know what you'll get.  Can Tua become a franchise QB?  Time will tell.  He needs development, players around him, good coaching, health, etc.  Will they be willing to wait for that to happen when they saw Burrow and Herbert step in and have immediate success?  Watson is already one of the top QBs in the league and has shown that he has the skills.  

All Watson can do is to continue to voice his displeasure.  Possibly threaten to sit out.  And make the owner think that he's going to get nothing for his investment and therefore look to unload him for the best haul he can get.  His dead cap money for the next two seasons is gigantic.  If Texans truly believe he isn't going to play for them ever again, they need to start exploring opportunities.  Colts, Bears, Niners, Panthers, and Broncos are all in need of a game changing QB.

• Like 1

Carson Palmer got fed up with Cincinnati dysfunction a few years back and announced he would not be playing for them again.  Bengals owner Mike Brown sat on his rights for a while, but then Hugh Jackson (briefly in control of the Raiders) traded two 1st round picks for him.

Luck also walked away while still young enough to be in his prime.  Those are two recent examples...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Carson Palmer got fed up with Cincinnati dysfunction a few years back and announced he would not be playing for them again.  Bengals owner Mike Brown sat on his rights for a while, but then Hugh Jackson (briefly in control of the Raiders) traded two 1st round picks for him.

Luck also walked away while still young enough to be in his prime.  Those are two recent examples...

I forgot about Carson.  He's probably the best example.  But he was also 32 and coming off a 20 interception season.  Not sure how much power he really had, and it was just stupid Hue that traded for him.  

Luck retired at 29.  He didn't really force a move from the team.  And I don't think he retired with the intention of sitting out and then ever coming back.  He's done.

Watson I think will be 26?  Really the prime of his career.  Not sure there's any all pro QB that ever sat out after just 4 years in the league.

Clearly they will be at an impasse.  Guess we'll have to see who blinks first.  Given the Hopkins departure and this front office mess, I'm guessing Watson is fuming and is just going to dig his heels in.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

"... Easterby has no business doing anything other than giving sermons to interested volunteers.  Instead, he likely convinced Cal McNair to run Hopkins out of town due to social justice activism.  The SI report included the nugget that the two did not speak. So you literally have political idealogy determining football decisions.  Does that seem like a recipe for success?"

On 1/17/2021 at 5:05 AM, Boudewijn said:

"... Now to be clear, I don't actually think Watson can be upset too much at not being involved in the decision making, if that's really what this is about. ..." 

I think Boudewijn's question regarding Watson's primary objection & Shark's point may have more to do with one another than we would otherwise consider. The mismanagement, the losing, with little to no prospect of improving in the near future is part of it. In that context, with Watson's level of commitment to help advance change, he wanted the organization to consider minority candidates. When that didn't happen to his satisfaction, he then said what he said. But that he's now beyond wanting to return there may also have something to do with what occurred on the 6th. He has a cause he believes in, didn't feel he was getting anywhere & then there's an event, on a national scale, that exemplifies precisely the issue at hand. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, CooL said:

Oh, I agree.  But how often has it happened where a star QB sits out and forces a trade?  I can't remember any of the top of my head.  I guess the closest resembling that in my mind would be draft day Eli saying he would never suit up for the Chargers and forcing a trade to the Giants.  Or Elway saying he would never play for the Colts.

Cutler and McDaniels

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Trade watson for tua, 1.3, 1.18, and 2022 1st rd pick.

Houston should hire Joe Brady, draft Devonta smith and Najee Harris and trade for Julio. 

Smart teams do not spend high draft picks on running backs.

Also, Tua may have been successful because he had an NFL caliber O-line and four NFL WRs against Alcorn St. and Middle Tennesee.

But Houston may be stuck trying to get at least something for Watson.

The Texans have to get rid of Easterby. A clueless owner "praying for enlightenment" with the executive VP before making football decisions is not the way to go imho.

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Smart teams do not spend high draft picks on running backs.

Also, Tua may have been successful because he had an NFL caliber O-line and four NFL WRs against Alcorn St. and Middle Tennesee.

But Houston may be stuck trying to get at least something for Watson.

Houston has got laremy tunsil.

KC took a RB in the first round. Are they not smart as well?

Tua played against much better competition than Alcorn state so I'll assume you were speaking in jest since Tua's accuracy was on par with Joe Burrow his senior year. 

You are using the CEH pick as an example of a first round running back that represented a good use of draft capital?  Seems an odd choice.

As for Tua, if the Texans cannot get anything better for Watson, I guess they could give it a try.

I hate to say it, but a QB from a conservative, evangelical background would probably be a better "fit" with the Texan's culture here in 2021.  Then he could attend prayer meetings with Jack and Cal, on their way to 0-16.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You are using the CEH pick as an example of a first round running back that represented a good use of draft capital?  Seems an odd choice.

As for Tua, if the Texans cannot get anything better for Watson, I guess they could give it a try.

I hate to say it, but a QB from a conservative, evangelical background would probably be a better "fit" with the Texan's culture here in 2021.  Then he could attend prayer meetings with Jack and Cal, on their way to 0-16.

You said good teams don't draft running backs in the 1st round and I dispelled that notion, unless you don't think KC is a good team.

Nothing wrong with practicing your faith unless you are an atheist. I'd appreciate having a team player like Tua who puts the team above his personal self.