NBC Sports Edge Forums

Houston Texans Offseason Thread 2021

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of all the people on this board, you are the last one that should be bringing up past player evaluations

The backstory of how they share an agent and how the agent basically played McNair like a fiddle into thinking Caserio was about to be hired by the Panthers is also pretty outrageous.  https://ww

You are using the CEH pick as an example of a first round running back that represented a good use of draft capital?  Seems an odd choice. As for Tua, if the Texans cannot get anything better for

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You said good teams don't draft running backs in the 1st round and I dispelled that notion, unless you don't think KC is a good team.

Nothing wrong with practicing your faith unless you are an atheist. I'd appreciate having a team player like Tua who puts the team above his personal self.

Even good teams make mistakes, and picking CEH in the first round is looking like a mistake for KC at this point.

I agree there is nothing wrong with the practicing of faith.  Easterby seems like an excellent choice to lead a bible study or even a church small group.

The problem is, Easterby is currently running a football team, but he is not remotely qualified to do so.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Even good teams make mistakes, and picking CEH in the first round is looking like a mistake for KC at this point.

I agree there is nothing wrong with the practicing of faith.  Easterby seems like an excellent choice to lead a bible study or even a church small group.

The problem is, Easterby is currently running a football team, but he is not remotely qualified to do so.

I don't think taking CEH was a mistake. Im reluctant to pass career long judgments on rookies who played with no mini camp, training camp of preseason. 

I believe you are letting your personal animosity cloud your judgment on Easterby. He has had the Texans in the playoffs as recently as last year, as pointed out a few posts ago, he has had a better run than the Titans and several other clubs. It seems like you don't like him because he is religious (specifically christian) feel free to correct that if it is wrong but when looking at on field results he has put his team in a position to succeed. It isn't easyerby's fault that his QB choked away a playoff victory, is it?

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I don't think taking CEH was a mistake. Im reluctant to pass career long judgments on rookies who played with no mini camp, training camp of preseason. 

I believe you are letting your personal animosity cloud your judgment on Easterby. He has had the Texans in the playoffs as recently as last year, as pointed out a few posts ago, he has had a better run than the Titans and several other clubs. It seems like you don't like him because he is religious (specifically christian) feel free to correct that if it is wrong but when looking at on field results he has put his team in a position to succeed. It isn't Easterby's fault that his QB choked away a playoff victory, is it?

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I believe you are letting your personal animosity cloud your judgment on Easterby. He has had the Texans in the playoffs as recently as last year, as pointed out a few posts ago, he has had a better run than the Titans and several other clubs. It seems like you don't like him because he is religious (specifically christian) feel free to correct that if it is wrong but when looking at on field results he has put his team in a position to succeed. It isn't easyerby's fault that his QB choked away a playoff victory, is it?

Maybe CEH will blossom into a superstar during the next few years, and thus make the first round pick price look justified.  Not looking good so far, and they could have had Swift.

Your take on Easterby shows that you have some gaps in your knowledge.  Read up on him, it is an interesting story.  He was team chaplain for New England until his contract expired after the 2018 season.  At the start of the 2019 season, he got the Texans in hot water by tampering with Caserio.  O'Brien was the acting GM and HC in 2019 and for the first four games of 2020.

Only after O'Brien was fired did Easterby become interim GM.  So giving Easterby any credit for team success in 2019 makes no sense, and obviously before that, Easterby was literally an employee of the Patriots.

So, no, Easterby did not "put the team in a position to succeed."  Instead he has alienated the one and only positive asset the team has, Watson.

Again, nothing against his Christian faith.  Everything against his scheming and being unqualified to run a football team.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Maybe CEH will blossom into a superstar during the next few years, and thus make the first round pick price look justified.  Not looking good so far, and they could have had Swift.

Your take on Easterby shows that you have some gaps in your knowledge.  Read up on him, it is an interesting story.  He was team chaplain for New England until his contract expired after the 2018 season.  At the start of the 2019 season, he got the Texans in hot water by tampering with Caserio.  O'Brien was the acting GM and HC in 2019 and for the first four games of 2020.

Only after O'Brien was fired did Easterby become interim GM.  So giving Easterby any credit for team success in 2019 makes no sense, and obviously before that, Easterby was literally an employee of the Patriots.

So, no, Easterby did not "put the team in a position to succeed."  Instead he has alienated the one and only positive asset the team has, Watson.

Again, nothing against his Christian faith.  Everything against his scheming and being unqualified to run a football team.

You are right, I didn't know that much about Jack Easterby before now but having read up on his background it is even more puzzling what exactly your problem is with him.

So he is a former Patriot character coach who ended up making a good impression on the organization with many players and coaches having great things to say about him. Only after the Texans hired him did all the Patriots become disgruntled with him, supposedly for bringing NE secrets to Houston? I find that to be trivial.

So far Easterby has not had very much of an impact on the Texans but Bill Belichick used to have Easterby sit in on personnel decisions during his time with the Patriots and he has hired Nick Caserio as GM (who is widely regarded as one of the best future GMs available) the tampering stuff seems like sour grapes from NE cause they really didn't want to let Houston hire Caserio. 

I think objectively anyone would say hiring Nick Caserio as your GM is an A+ move in the NFL. 

You also said that Jack Easterby alone has isolated Watson? I have not read that anywhere, do you have a link for that? 

I'm still struggling to understand your hatred for Easterby, he is only 36 so he isn't going to have the track record of some just yet but he was doing a lot of good work with NE and hiring Caserio was a very nice move. Maybe they smooth things over with Watson maybe Watson forces his way out but either way I don't see how you put the blame of the Texans on Easterby who arrived after Bill O'brien had done most the damage as coach and GM....

From an article:

Easterby, 36, has earned enough respect and trust to be part of the interview process with O’Brien, chairman Cal McNair, president Jamey Rootes and senior vice president of football administration Chris Olsen.

Easterby, a native of Columbia S.C. who played basketball and golf at Newberry College, has developed a good working relationship with O’Brien and is playing a larger role in team operations.

Those who know Easterby say he’s an outgoing, energetic, intelligent jack-of-all-trades for front-office executives. He’s guided by a strong Christian faith. He’s all about building and maintaining positive relationships on and off the field.

A former team chaplain at Kansas City (2011-12) and life coach/character coach at New England (2013-18) under coach Bill Belichick, Easterby is a counselor and adviser to players, coaches and their families. He’s on call 24-7.

As a former athlete in college, Easterby likes to participate in drills before practice. He likes to throw passes and run routes as part of the time he spends with players.

O’Brien left the Patriots before Easterby was hired in 2013. But like O’Brien, Easterby is close friends with Caserio from their years of working together at New England under Belichick.

If the Texans are able to hire Caserio when other teams have tried and failed, including the Texans last year, it’ll be a coup in which Easterby played a significant role. Caserio is of the most highly respected executives in the NFL.

Albert Breer, who writes the Monday Morning Quarterback column for SI.com, included Easterby in this week’s story on Gaine’s firing.

Writing about Easterby’s role with the Patriots, Breer said, “He touched a little bit of everything on the football side of the franchise and, just as important, graded it all for Bill Belichick. As one ex-co-worker there described him, ‘He’s smart … has really good perspective on a lot of things, and is an incredible resource for the head coach.’”

Easterby left the Patriots in February after owner Robert Kraft was charged with solicitation in Florida. The Boston Globe, quoting team sources, said, “Easterby felt his time with the team had run its course, and the Kraft situation does not sit well with him.”

Breer wrote Monday the Texans “outbid the Panthers and Dolphins, among others, for (Easterby’s) services.”

Easterby got his first job in the NFL with Jacksonville in 2005, where he spent one season as the assistant director of football operations.

In 2006, Easterby went to the University of South Carolina. He worked with and consulted for NBA teams and USA Basketball while employed by the Gamecocks.

Easterby got the attention of Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli in 2011. Pioli, who spent nine years with Belichick at New England, the last seven as vice president of player personnel, hired Easterby as the Chiefs’ team chaplain.

At Kansas City, Easterby worked closely with head coach Romeo Crennel, who has been the Texans’ defensive coordinator in five of his six seasons under O’Brien.

Easterby earned a lot of respect in Kansas City and in NFL circles with the way he helped the Chiefs in the aftermath of the murder-suicide of Jovan Belcher, who shot his girlfriend before killing himself.

In 2013, Belichick hired Easterby to help the Patriots deal with the Aaron Hernandez crisis. As his influence spread throughout the organization, Easterby did more than counsel players and conduct Bible studies.

At practice, Easterby took part in warmups. Belichick trusted him enough to have him participate in personnel evaluations. During his time with the Patriots, Easterby helped them navigate crisis situations and build a positive team attitude that helped them reach four Super Bowls while he was in New England.

In a 2015 story on the Patriots, ESPN the Magazine said, Easterby “hosts Bible study, works coaches' hours in his office counseling players and their wives, throws passes in practice and sometimes even jumps in on scout-team drills.

“When he's not listening, he's texting. When he's not texting, he's writing players and coaches individual notes, recapping their personal goals and reminding them of how thankful he is to know them. He prefers to be called a character coach, not a chaplain, because he doesn't push religion on anyone.”

During Super Bowl week when the Patriots were preparing to defeat the Los Angeles Rams to win a sixth Lombardi Trophy, veteran Matthew Slater said about Easterby, “I honestly don’t think we’re where we are, sitting here today, without his influence on the team.”

When he left the Patriots in February after his contract ran out, NBC Sports Boston said, “There’s no doubt his experience makes him a valuable addition to any coaching staff.”

And now Easterby is working for the Texans and impacting the search to find the fourth general manager in franchise history.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

On Easterby, here is what Belichick had to say... https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/patriots-boss-belichick-on-houston-texans-exec-easterby-valuable-but-not-a-personnel-guy

Essentially he is a character coach but not a personnel guy. Meaning he keeps spirits high and works with people to keep focus on their goals. But doesn’t have football knowledge in making personnel decisions on who to draft, sign, etc...

It seems like something is wrong here if Easterby is the guy helping with team spirits that the team is in this state of affairs. Your elite QBS and MVP of the team is disgruntled and fed up with the way things are being run.

2 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

On Easterby, here is what Belichick had to say... https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/patriots-boss-belichick-on-houston-texans-exec-e.asterby-valuable-but-not-a-personnel-guy

Essentially he is a character coach but not a personnel guy. Meaning he keeps spirits high and works with people to keep focus on their goals. But doesn’t have football knowledge in making personnel decisions on who to draft, sign, etc...

That seems to be the impression that I got although it said Bill B used to let Easterby sit in on personnel decisions. 

I'll be the first to say I don't know Jack...Easterby, seems like some ITT follow his Facebook and Instagram but doesn't seem like a lot of info out there on him.  

The only thing people can really say for certain about him is that he hired Nick Caserio as GM and tried to do it last year and it pissed NE off. Nick Caserio is one of the most widely respected executives in the NFL from what I have read so that appears to be a home run hire.

3 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

It seems like something is wrong here if Easterby is the guy helping with team spirits that the team is in this state of affairs. Your elite QBS and MVP of the team is disgruntled and fed up with the way things are being run.

Easterby was a character coach with NE, I don't think that is his job with Houston.

Bill B said he wasn't a personel guy only after Easterby left the Patriots but Bill B had him sitting in on personel decisions. Again, seems like sour grapes from Bill B and Ne for Easterby leaving and trying to poach Nick Caserio as GM.

I don't know what part he played in the Hopkins trade, that was ugly and I thought mostly on Bill O'brien. I'm sure Watson is frustrated with the Hopkins trade and having a losing season but Easterby hiring a great potential GM is a big step in the right direction.

17 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Easterby was a character coach with NE, I don't think that is his job with Houston.

Bill B said he wasn't a personel guy only after Easterby left the Patriots but Bill B had him sitting in on personel decisions. Again, seems like sour grapes from Bill B and Ne for Easterby leaving and trying to poach Nick Caserio as GM.

I don't know what part he played in the Hopkins trade, that was ugly and I thought mostly on Bill O'brien. I'm sure Watson is frustrated with the Hopkins trade and having a losing season but Easterby hiring a great potential GM is a big step in the right direction.

Here is more on Easterby. In this article it claims he was the one with the idea to move Hopkins. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2021/1/19/22234932/houston-texans-jack-easterby-youth-pastor-deshaun-watson

The article states two other things. First, the article says he had no experience and qualifications for the position he took in Houston. Second, the article says he has used religious pressure to guilt people into not firing him. That seems very fishy. 

24 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I will agree I have always been impressed with Caserio during his conference calls after drafts and trades, which is the only way you get exposed to his work.  I am sure he will do well in the long haul. Not sure he will have time to see it out if  Watson leaves and the team goes full rebuild mode with a bunch of draft picks in exchange.

10 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You said good teams don't draft running backs in the 1st round and I dispelled that notion, unless you don't think KC is a good team.

Nothing wrong with practicing your faith unless you are an atheist. I'd appreciate having a team player like Tua who puts the team above his personal self.

An atheist doesn’t believe in religion, so there is no way to practice atheism 😁

Edited by Loadedbrewer
  • Like 1
On 1/17/2021 at 3:18 PM, CooL said:

Oh, I agree.  But how often has it happened where a star QB sits out and forces a trade?  I can't remember any of the top of my head.  I guess the closest resembling that in my mind would be draft day Eli saying he would never suit up for the Chargers and forcing a trade to the Giants.  Or Elway saying he would never play for the Colts.

That's why I think if the Dolphins are serious, they should make a run at Watson who has already proven he is a franchise QB.  Dolphins can draft all these "can't miss" QBs coming out of college, but you never know what you'll get.  Can Tua become a franchise QB?  Time will tell.  He needs development, players around him, good coaching, health, etc.  Will they be willing to wait for that to happen when they saw Burrow and Herbert step in and have immediate success?  Watson is already one of the top QBs in the league and has shown that he has the skills.  

All Watson can do is to continue to voice his displeasure.  Possibly threaten to sit out.  And make the owner think that he's going to get nothing for his investment and therefore look to unload him for the best haul he can get.  His dead cap money for the next two seasons is gigantic.  If Texans truly believe he isn't going to play for them ever again, they need to start exploring opportunities.  Colts, Bears, Niners, Panthers, and Broncos are all in need of a game changing QB.

On the leverage thing... 

Also, it is being reported multiple teams have already been calling.

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Easterby got his first job in the NFL with Jacksonville in 2005, where he spent one season as the assistant director of football operations.

According to sources, this is not at all accurate. He served as assistant to the director of football operations which is a completely different role. And now, his biography is changed again:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/05/a-question-emerges-about-jack-easterbys-nfl-biography/

It's also a bit weird when an ex-player like Andre Johnson publicly blasts Jack Easterby. It's not like AJ is a guy who is known for being a blowhard:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/andre-johnson-blasts-texans-jack-easterby-wants-deshaun-watson-seek-trade

But the SI articles paint the picture of a man who stops at nothing to cheat his way to the top. That's why he's sometimes referred to as Littlefinger (from HBO's Game of Thrones):

https://www.battleredblog.com/2020/12/10/22167898/jack-easterby-is-littlefinger-an-inside-look-at-easterbys-role-with-the-texans

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Newtown said:

According to sources, this is not at all accurate. He served as assistant to the director of football operations which is a completely different role. And now, his biography is changed again:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/05/a-question-emerges-about-jack-easterbys-nfl-biography/

It's also a bit weird when an ex-player like Andre Johnson publicly blasts Jack Easterby. It's not like AJ is a guy who is known for being a blowhard:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/andre-johnson-blasts-texans-jack-easterby-wants-deshaun-watson-seek-trade

But the SI articles paint the picture of a man who stops at nothing to cheat his way to the top. That's why he's sometimes referred to as Littlefinger (from HBO's Game of Thrones):

https://www.battleredblog.com/2020/12/10/22167898/jack-easterby-is-littlefinger-an-inside-look-at-easterbys-role-with-the-texans

Littlefinger hired Nick Caserio as GM.

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Littlefinger hired Nick Caserio as GM.

Because Caserio was the only GM candidate on God's Green Earth who would not have fired Easterby on the spot upon getting the job.

41 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Because Caserio was the only GM candidate on God's Green Earth who would not have fired Easterby on the spot upon getting the job.

The backstory of how they share an agent and how the agent basically played McNair like a fiddle into thinking Caserio was about to be hired by the Panthers is also pretty outrageous. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-hoodwinked-can-texans-owner-cal-mcnair-see-through-jack-easterby-ploys

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Littlefinger is also causing distrust within the Texans organization. Not good.

I admit I don't know much about the guy and maybe he is doing everything that is being reported but hiring Nick Caserio as GM was a solid move.  I don't think anyone is questioning that. 

26 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I admit I don't know much about the guy and maybe he is doing everything that is being reported but hiring Nick Caserio as GM was a solid move.  I don't think anyone is questioning that. 

The guy who has been helping Belichick with the draft for the past few years?  How has that been working out?

38 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The guy who has been helping Belichick with the draft for the past few years?  How has that been working out?

He started with the patriots in 2002. Was in scouting department and at times assistant coach before being personnel director. I guess he has five Super Bowl rings with Patriots. I’d say he has worked our well. 

Edited by PizzaBeerFF
  • Like 2