NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Corey Seager 2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, cyberer said:

“This was the year” no injuries and finally living up to the hype 

instead dude sucks for 2 months and now is out for the season. Awesome 

Not sure who you're quoting. He was an MVP candidate last year and was huge in the playoffs. Wasn't destroying balls yet, but certainly did not suck as a hitter.  Was considerably above average. 

36 minutes ago, cyberer said:

“This was the year” no injuries and finally living up to the hype 

instead dude sucks for 2 months and now is out for the season. Awesome 

Got a link for this one? I thought he just hurt his hand and we're waiting for injury updates and he's DTD for now.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I figured it had to be. I mean, it wasn't just a glancing blow, he was moving his hand straight into the pitch when it struck. Sucks, I bought into him heavily this year. 

1 minute ago, swfcdan said:

Can't they wear some gloves that actually protect against these kind of injuries??

MLB players usually resist this sort of thing until it becomes overwhelmingly clear that it's in their best interest.  We see a lot of guys wearing the "oven mitt" on the basepaths now, but it took a while for that to catch on.  There are indeed batting gloves with inserts that try to guard against some of these injuries, but that has to be balanced against the potential that it interferes with movement during a swing.  Still, it's clear that the seemingly endless supply of pitchers that throw high 90s or low 100s with movement is going to make this more common unless some guys start protecting themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

MLB players usually resist this sort of thing until it becomes overwhelmingly clear that it's in their best interest.  We see a lot of guys wearing the "oven mitt" on the basepaths now, but it took a while for that to catch on.  There are indeed batting gloves with inserts that try to guard against some of these injuries, but that has to be balanced against the potential that it interferes with movement during a swing.  Still, it's clear that the seemingly endless supply of pitchers that throw high 90s or low 100s with movement is going to make this more common unless some guys start protecting themselves.

I’m curious though that they actually aren’t allowed to where any kind of heavy full proof protection (whether on hand, elbow, up the leg, etc.). Group it into the heavy Barry Bonds elbow guard which has been outlawed by rule because people were leaning into pitches without hesitation. MLB then put restrictions on the elbow protection you could wear. I believe you can wear things but they can’t be so heavy duty that “nothing” will happen to you if a ball hits it, but I’m not certain. I’m genuinely curious as I do not know for sure if there are restrictions on heavy protective gear on/in gloves or if it is just player preference to avoid limiting mobility.

• 4 weeks later...

So Roberts originally says that Seager will be out at least 4 weeks, starting May 16, after his injury.  

continues to give positive updates for about 3 weeks now 

Yesterday, says that the hand is healing faster than expected 

so reasonably, I think, wow, maybe it’s going to be sooner, he’ll be out in a couple weeks max right? No.  He says that early July is a “totally fair” timeline.  

okay.  See you in 3 weeks Seager 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welp you can kiss that early July date goodbye.  Saying he can still feel some discomfort when he hits.  Nothing against Seager but some guys you just know injuries are going to take longer to get over then others and Seager is one of those guys.  Guess we can hope for August.

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to wonder just how healthy his hand really is with him not being activated so far this week.  They were saying possibly Wednesday but thats obviously not happening.  Not really the type of injury where a few extra days off make much of a difference if it's still bothering him.  

Edited by knifeparty
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:41 PM, meh2 said:

Corey Seager's ADP by year:

2018  25

2019  71

2020  150

2021  33

I find it interesting that Seager's ADP varies so much year to year and I'm not sure given his injury history, the lack of steals, and the depth at shortstop that he justifies a pick in the top 3 rounds. I thought the fantasy community had him way undervalued last year which is why I started his thread, but I think they're overvaluing him this year without properly baking in his injury risk. I'm not sure where I'll be on Seager on draft day, but I'm guessing I'll end up fading him this year at that price.

Looks like I’ll be back in on him next year when his ADP is over 100 again.

• 3 weeks later...