NBC Sports Edge Forums

Playoff 2021 Predictions pt 3 - Championship Sunday

SUNDAY, JANUARY 24    
NFC: 3:05 PM ET - Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Green Bay Packers (FOX)    

AFC: 6:40 PM ET - Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs (CBS)

Top of the leaderboard: over the wildcards and divisionals, 4 people scored 7/10, ie: @PizzaBeerFF, @Gohawks, @JoeJoe88 and @shakestreet. Who can do better this weekend? Can the Packers and Chiefs be beaten? 

Have $50 futures bet on chiefs to win it all, i want to put a 4 teamer in this week, i am liking the bucs odds, so moneyline at +170, and ill take the over.  Ill take bills and the points, and the over, they can still lose and cover, and still have my sb ticket with the chiefs

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Chiefs 

Tom Brady 

Chiefs Packers is way too easy, so I'm going Chiefs-Bucs as well. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

"And in the other game?"

No idea, but here's my Tampa checklist:

1.) I've complained about their run scheme but they have to be just as effective running the football as they were last week. Given that Green Bay has struggled to defend the run & balance is key to Brady's effectiveness.  

2.) Loved Todd Bowles in Washington & he did well in New York, he definitely should be someone's HC! His group certainly got the better of Rodgers & Co. the last time. The Packers were missing Allen Lazard for that game. A successful downfield strike to him, early on, could really factor big. There's no doubt Green Bay will be better prepared, but I like Tampa, 33-30 in OT. 

3.) It's hard to imagine bad weather favoring a Florida-based team in Lambeau, but stranger things have happened. The thought of it congers up only bad outcomes, but I will say what's obvious: if the weather turns & Tampa appears out of their element, forget it, 34-3 Green Bay. I could change my mind tomorrow or the day of the game, but I'm rolling with Tampa in a squeaker. 

My only vested interest is that my Playoff Challenge lineup @nfl.com is loaded with Bills & Bucs.     

• Like 1

If there's some place you can get KC -2.5 or at -3 with no juice or something I'd take that.  KC should be rated about 1 to 2 points higher than BUF so with home field that should be -4 or -5.  Of course if Mahomes doesn't play you are tearing up tickets but I think that's incredibly unlikely.  

I'd take the points on Tampa.  Brady has every possible chance to shred the Packers D and even if the Packers win (they probably will) there is so much chance for the "backdoor" cover in what should be a shootout that Tampa is the play getting 3 or 3.5 for me.  (Let's also not forget that Tampa beat Green Bay by like 100 points earlier this season too.  I know GB is playing a lot better now, but still...)

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, markrc99 said:

No idea, but here's my Tampa checklist:

1.) I've complained about their run scheme but they have to be just as effective running the football as they were last week. Given that Green Bay has struggled to defend the run & balance is key to Brady's effectiveness.  

2.) Loved Todd Bowles in Washington & he did well in New York, he definitely should be someone's HC! His group certainly got the better of Rodgers & Co. the last time. The Packers were missing Allen Lazard for that game. A successful downfield strike to him, early on, could really factor big. There's no doubt Green Bay will be better prepared, but I like Tampa, 33-30 in OT. 

3.) It's hard to imagine bad weather favoring a Florida-based team in Lambeau, but stranger things have happened. The thought of it congers up only bad outcomes, but I will say what's obvious: if the weather turns & Tampa appears out of their element, forget it, 34-3 Green Bay. I could change my mind tomorrow or the day of the game, but I'm rolling with Tampa in a squeaker. 

My only vested interest is that my Playoff Challenge lineup @nfl.com is loaded with Bills & Bucs.     

Ok. I'll put you down for a... "definite maybe" then. Tampa & KC right now?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

"... Of course if Mahomes doesn't play you are tearing up tickets but I think that's incredibly unlikely.  

I'd take the points on Tampa.  Brady has every possible chance to shred the Packers D and even if the Packers win (they probably will) there is so much chance for the "backdoor" cover in what should be a shootout that Tampa is the play getting 3 or 3.5 for me.  (Let's also not forget that Tampa beat Green Bay by like 100 points earlier this season too.  I know GB is playing a lot better now, but still...) ..."

Perhaps you've read it too, there was a recent article about championship rematches from the regular season throughout the super bowl era. On 10 occasions teams that beat a team by 20 or more points during the regular season have faced off in conference championships. In those games, the team that won by 20 or more have won the rematch nine times! Conversely, southern based teams heading into the tundra or other cold weather sites haven't fared all that well. But hopefully it's not turning blue cold. :) I like Tampa. The NFL Network ran back the earlier match between the Chiefs & Bills, Buffalo couldn't get Clyde (the-Glide, remember him?) stopped. However, I think the strategy of focusing on Mahomes would've worked had they played better offensively. How significant Helaire's availability is for this game, I can't say.

Tentatively Bucs & Chiefs.  

Edited by markrc99