NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Carter-Williams 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On board    (Why do I do this to myself ....)

I do not know about the "not good per-minute fantasy option"... I ran the numbers for him and he is actually pretty solid per minutes guy. We have added bench boost in our league so IF he plays off th

• tonycpsu changed the title to Michael Carter-Williams 2020-2021 Outlook
7 minutes ago, Supersonics said:

You must be in a deeeeeeep league to stash MCW 

Hes IR eligible why not wait and see? when he gets minutes hes very useful in most category leagues

• Like 1

Michael Carter-Williams (left foot) is doubtful for Wednesday's game vs. the Wolves.

The good news is that MCW is one step closer to playing, having gone through a non-contact practice on Tuesday. He's never been a strong per-minute fantasy option, so he's only a speculative add in deep leagues as a backup to rookie starter Cole Anthony.

not a backup for long! 🤞

I do not know about the "not good per-minute fantasy option"... I ran the numbers for him and he is actually pretty solid per minutes guy. We have added bench boost in our league so IF he plays off the bench and has enough minutes he actually bodes out pretty well. I'll break down his career numbers for you for reference.

His first three seasons in Philly and Milwaukee he indeed was not good per-minute fantasy option. Breaking down his number to per minute was 2.3 - 2.4 which accounts for a 78 points per 23 minutes (which Im aiming this season for expectation) off the bench in his first season when he had big usage. That basically for you in 14 team league end of the bench guy and 12 team league someone you give a look off the waiver, but might not pick up. Then next two seasons with over 30 minutes still he gets 74-75 fp. Not interesting. His season in Chicago follows the same path with 75 fantasy points adjusted to bench role with 23 minutes.

BUT... As his career starts to wind down in his fourth season and he transform to bench player... His per minute number gets up to 2.7 - 3.0 range. 80 fantasy points player per 23 to 93 and his last season in Orlando 85 per 23 minutes. Now you take off the bench boost and it means 65 per 23 which is not remarkable for normal league. You would need him to be in the 28-30 minutes mark to get 80-85 points so... Do you see that happening? For me he is better than his reputation as a not good per-minute fantasy option as getting rosterworthy player from 23 minute guy is GOOD even with the bench boost.

23 minutes should not be out of reach and maybe even more? If you look at their rotation:

Cole Anthony 28 minutes

Fournier 31 minutes (when he picks it up)

James Ennis 26 minutes (? bit of a guess but low end minutes for him for sure)

Aaron Gordon 30 minutes (he is at 28 but that should go up? Maybe Birch is stealing little something off of him)

Vucevic 32 minutes

That is measly 147 minutes for starting line-up. Leaves bench with 93 minutes. Birch 22 minutes, Bacon 18 minutes maybe, Ross their top guy with 27 minutes. That is... 67 minutes. 30 minutes up to grabs. Gary Clark has played some 19 minutes per game. Even then they will need to fill up the rotation AND they are in desperate need off ball handling and playmaking. Enter MCW who plays close to 20 minutes just off Cole Anthony and looking their bench unit I bet they will find him even more minutes and push Clark and/or Bacon out of rotation or to lower minutes. So...23 minutes when he gets up to speed? For sure. More? Maybe. If he plays well. And it seems if Fournier injures again he is up to start with 30+ minutes role in hand UNLESS they make moves in the trade market.

• Haha 3

Before Friday’s game in Indianapolis, I asked Clifford whether Carter-Williams will play on the wing, as he did before Fultz’s injury, or at point guard. Clifford responded Carter-Williams might play both roles, depending on the team’s needs at the time.

Sounds like a 23+ minutes role to me.

"Carter-Williams nonetheless is critical to the team because of his defense, rebounding and all-around toughness. He also has been an emerging leader off the court."

ITS HAPPENING!!!

• Haha 1

Good question brah.

I'll give you the absolute floor:

IN 23 MINUTES: 7.5 PPG / 0.5 3PM / 4 RPG (1 off, 3 def) / 3 AST / 1.5STL / 0.5BLK / 1.5TO

And that is absolute floor. In 23 minutes he could get to 9 points, 5.5 rebs, 3.5 ast and under 1.5 TO for sure.

If he gets more minutes... Well, THINK ABOUT THAT FAM!

• Haha 1

When he gets going coming off the bench 26+ minutes 10.5-11 points 5.5+ rebs, 4.5 ast, 1.5 - 2.0 stls, close to 1 blk. BOOM!!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=12275800

• Like 1

Lol, do not start a heavy restrictions guy Clifford. I was counting on that bench boost.

At leats he is showing a template of cumulating all stats. Very rusty, but that will go away in a week or two. Strong hold.